Make the Nicholls game a competition at QB

Harry

Thank you my friend. Basically the thought behind this concept is Greer has always faced the tope level team defense. If you split it up perhaps you might be able to give all three a shot. I believe that DW is the GUy..read my practice reports if you aren't sure about this. My point is this is a game that gives you the opprtUnity to prove yourself...it's fair -- it will help. Let's develop team unity behind whomever earns the job...

I had my concerns about Greer, not because of his ability, but more because of his lack of play during the last three years. He was injured his senior year at Arlington, redshirted at UAB, and then was injured for much of last season at Navarro. He's only played in a few games since the 2010 season. To put that in perspective, North Texas was being coached by Todd Dodge and playing at Fouts Field back then. He needs time to adjust to the speed and pressure of the Division 1 game, and he lost that luxury by winning the fall camp quarterback competion. He's looked nervous as would most people thrown into that situation. I certanly haven't been impressed with his play, but I also cannot fault him for winning the quarterback competition. Let him learn Canales's system and in time I believe he will do quite well.

McNulty: his career passing stats are one touchdown, six interceptions, and stunningly three of those were pick-six interceptions. That's really not very good, and he too may not be the answer, especially in the short term.

That leaves us with Dajon as the only other scholarship quarterback that is playing this year. I have no idea what landed him in the doghouse or why he was playing third string. All I can see is that he has been consideably more effective playing the position than either of the players in front of him, even if he was playing against reserves.

• Upvote 1

If this was game one maybe, but game 4 no. The QB shuffling has already started to mess with the team. Greer looks like he is afraid to make a mistake. If you watch the game against Tech, he had a lot of time back there to throw. The o-line and backs were doing a terrific job of picking up the blitz. Problem is, Greer has a plan in his head and is too tentative to go with it even sometimes when it's right, then he doesn't know what to do next, only that he doesn't want to do anything stupid so he panics to get out of the play.

It's time for Dajon. I don't think he'll be a lot better than Greer because he also has no playing experience, but it's time to find out.

• Upvote 1

What troubles me about this quarterback situation is how the substitutions are working. If Greer is your best option, why take him out in garbage time rather than letting him get reps to bring his confidence along? I don't think the risk of injury is more important at this time than his need for improvement. If Dajon is immature and incapable at this point of being your one, why give him any reps at all?

If playing Dajon is going to lead to a loss of discipline within the team, then don't play him. However, if he is simply not starting because he isn't vocal enough, I think that is a poor reason to keep your most talented quarterback off of the field.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2