Plays-Yards TOP Result

6-19 2:52 Punt

9-71 4:24 Touchdown

5-64 1:22 Touchdown

Williams Average Drive

6.7 Plays

51 Yards

4.7 Points Per Drive

I know I keep harping on this, but I really think it's the perfect time to salvage the season. This team is young and inexperienced, it's not as good as last years nine win team, but IT IS good enough to get to bowl eligibility. Bowls are huge because they give the teams a few extra weeks of practice that non bowl teams don't get. Recruits also love them, it makes every coaches recruiting trip easier if next yer we can say "... and we've gone to two straight bowls."

If we throw Greer out there against Indiana, we may lose by 40. Indiana can score the football and throw the forward pass. Unless we can do the same, it's gonna be a long day.

Drive Comparison.

Greer

Plays-Yards TOP Result

3-2 1:31 Punt

3-9 1:54 Punt

3-(-9) 1:57 Punt

3-3 0:53 Punt

3-7 1:22 Punt

3-6 1:48 Punt

8-28 2:03 Punt

3-(-4) 1:44 Punt

10-53 4:39 Fumble

8-59 3:07 Touchdown

3-0 1:03 Punt

Greer Average Drive:

4.5 Plays

14 Yards

.6 Points Per Drive

Williams

Plays-Yards TOP Result

6-19 2:52 Punt

9-71 4:24 Touchdown

5-64 1:22 Touchdown

Williams Average Drive

6.7 Plays

51 Yards

4.7 Points Per Drive

La. Tech was uninterested by the time DW took the field. Really can't compare those stats.

That said, DW threw the ball to receivers, not 10 yards put of bounds or to a bare spot on the artificial turf.

The reason you play DW is because you KNOW the other 2 can't do the job. You don't know about DT.

It's that simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

La. Tech was uninterested by the time DW took the field. Really can't compare those stats.

LaTech was ahead by 20+ and uninterested way before DW got in there.

All we need to be respectable and in contention for another bowl invite is a slightly below average G5 level passing game. That will be enough to keep 9-10 people out of the box on every running down.

I don't know if DW is the answer, but I know the QBs we have tried so far are not.

One thing that really impressed me with Dajon - There was one play where Harris or Kidsy was running down the left sideline, Dajon stood in the pocket waiting for that extra half second knowing he was going to get creamed as soon as he released the ball but he stood there shot it down the field for a big completion and took a solid hit.

I had work to do and switched off the game in the 3rd quarter. I'm now regretting missing this DW PT. I can see the statline, but would love to hear more from the people who gave him the "eye ball" test.

Well I stayed to the end because I don't know just because. So here's my scouting report FWIW. And I'm attempting to factor in the score, who was in the game at the time etc.

• Much better arm than any other QB we've seen play.
  • Much more accurate.
  • Has good poise and pocket awareness.
  • Not fast but quick enough.
  • Definitely takes a lot of risks both with the running and passing game.

If he were starting he would probably drive everyone on here crazy for the rest of the year. He'd make a lot of mistakes and a lot of great plays. We'd probably end up between 5-7 or 7-5 but he'd need to learn to play within himself. But we would feel real good about the QB position the next 3 years.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

Follow up question: Do you think we would have real chance to get 5-7 wins without him starting?

Please walk into the coaches meeting and ask them this exact question.

I'm envisioning an early scene out of The Dark Knight where you walk in like the joker with grenades inside your suit jacket and threaten the mob bosses/coaches....

Follow up question: Do you think we would have real chance to get 5-7 wins without him starting?

No. I'll take 3-9 with the same rotation we've seen, maybe 4-8 if they just stick with Greer for entire games and let him get as good (bad?) as he can get with maximum playing time and without worrying about getting pulled.

I had work to do and switched off the game in the 3rd quarter. I'm now regretting missing this DW PT. I can see the statline, but would love to hear more from the people who gave him the "eye ball" test.

He reminds me of Scott Hall.

I am not saying he will come in and have a UNT HOF career, but here are the similarities I do see:

• Not as tall as their coaches think is ideal, but height is vastly over rated at the college level.
  • Not the strongest arm, but accurate enough to leverage the threat of a good running game to drop passes in between coverage at multiple levels.
  • Not going to set any track records, but can use their feet to avoid pressure WHILE CONTINUING TO LOOK DOWNFIELD and find open men once the coverage breaks down.
  • Calm. I can't overstate this. The game never looked way to fast for Scott Hall, and it doesn't for DW. They may get fooled, but they aren't in a near panic making rushed decisions.

In addition: Scott Hall wasn't a loud vocal leader when he came in. Once the burden was placed on his shoulders he began taking a more active role and by the time he was a senior everyone know whose team it was. Again, he wasn't a rah rah cheerleader, but he was calm in the eye of the storm and his team mates took comfort from that.

I don't know if DW will develop the same way, but his demeanor is such I think there is a chance. At this point, when we run 26 plays for 26 yards, what does it hurt to try?

I am not saying he will come in and have a UNT HOF career, but here are the similarities I do see:

• Not as tall as their coaches think is ideal, but height is vastly over rated at the college level.
  • Not the strongest arm, but accurate enough to leverage the threat of a good running game to drop passes in between coverage at multiple levels.
  • Not going to set any track records, but can use their feet to avoid pressure WHILE CONTINUING TO LOOK DOWNFIELD and find open men once the coverage breaks down.
  • Calm. I can't overstate this. The game never looked way to fast for Scott Hall, and it doesn't for DW. They may get fooled, but they aren't in a near panic making rushed decisions.

In addition: Scott Hall wasn't a loud vocal leader when he came in. Once the burden was placed on his shoulders he began taking a more active role and by the time he was a senior everyone know whose team it was. Again, he wasn't a rah rah cheerleader, but he was calm in the eye of the storm and his team mates took comfort from that.

I don't know if DW will develop the same way, but his demeanor is such I think there is a chance. At this point, when we run 26 plays for 26 yards, what does it hurt to try?

Follow up question: Do you think we would have real chance to get 5-7 wins without him starting? :P

Follow up question: Do you think we would have real chance to get 5-7 wins without him starting? :P

If we run the same offense out there here is how I see the schedule playing out:

Nicholls: FCS team we can out muscle. WIN

@Indiana: Revenge blow out. LOSS

@UAB: Beat Troy, late loss to Miss St. LOSS

USM: Still not ready. WIN

@Rice: Revenge Blowout II. LOSS

FAU: They have been killed by Neb and Bama, don't know enough. TOSSUP.

@UTEP: I told all of you Showers would be good last year. LOSS

FIU: Thank God the bottom of this conference is aweful. WIN

@UTSA: Worse rout than the actual Alamo. LOSS

4-8 or maybe 5-7 if everything goes our way. The bad things is most of the losses look to be BAD losses, not games that could swing either way.

Edited by Cerebus

You talking about 6'3" Dajon Williams? Otherwise, sure, especially the calm.

• Upvote 1

Well I stayed to the end because I don't know just because. So here's my scouting report FWIW. And I'm attempting to factor in the score, who was in the game at the time etc.

• Much better arm than any other QB we've seen play.
  • Much more accurate.
  • Has good poise and pocket awareness.
  • Not fast but quick enough.
  • Definitely takes a lot of risks both with the running and passing game.

If he were starting he would probably drive everyone on here crazy for the rest of the year. He'd make a lot of mistakes and a lot of great plays. We'd probably end up between 5-7 or 7-5 but he'd need to learn to play within himself. But we would feel real good about the QB position the next 3 years.

Ding, ding, motherF'n ding!!!!! DW is the future of this football team granted he avoids the injury bug. Also, for the pro Connor Means people on here, he is a notch above Greer but still not on DW's level. And it's not even close at this point. DW is our guy, I've been bitching on here for his unasked behalf for 8 months. Play this man. He will do wonders in every aspect of the game for this offense. Sure as hell expect better than our current ypc. Play him, play him, play him. Somebody said that Mac is as good as dead to them if DW isn't our starter going forward. I'm right there with whoever said that.

Oh and DW is not 6'1". He towers over McNulty and is a little shorter than Greer. 6'3" seems about right.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Yes, and Billy is a scouting guy. He knows what he's talking about in terms of physical tangibles. DW has the goods, it's up to our apparent ill-qualified coaching staff to use them.

The microscope should squarely be on this coaching staff. I don't give 2 shits what Mac has done in the past. I have not felt comfortable with this staff going into ONE game, including the Southern Miss game last year.

Nah, he's 6'3". Take a look at the team/qbs photo. And I wouldn't undersell his arm or his wheels. Legitimate dual-threat qb and there's some velocity on those throws.

I'll have to admit I was wrong on the height. I don't think he is an elite G5 arm or wheel guy. I didn't think Scott Hall was either, but he had the Joe Cool calm, and I think Dajon does too. He also knows to keep his head up and look downfield when he runs.

I'll take those over a rocket arm and 4.4 speed every time.