Observations, other than QB

H-towngreen

our D looked great again.

Lee is still back there hammering people. Buyers looked solid. This DB unit should be outstanding yet again.

Akunne, Scott, Wallace, Marshall, and Ellis did their roles against one of the best RB duos in the country. We are deep here

Very impressed with the DL. We rotated a lot of bodies in without seeing much of a drop off. SirCalvin was getting a lot of PT. Did the flip finally switch? Dutton Watson had a good game. Orr, Dilonga, Lincoln, Polk, Roberts all played very well. I didn't see much of S Moore in there.

Peagram looked solid. And J Wilson looks like a future stud. We are set at RB. It'll be nice to see how they look against a front 7 that isn't one of the best in the nation. I also guess we won't be seeing much Evans or Rollins in the backfield. Just shows you how deep we are and how good the two freshman are.

There were a lot of positives to take away from this.

• Upvote 1

I thought the DL did a pretty decent job also, good to see Sir Calvin in there! Andy Flusche also got some PT and held his own, finishing with 3 tackles. Coach Patrick is doing a good job with the DL.

On the other side: the OL, they got whipped all night long.

I wonder if they don't consider moving Lemon back to guard. It didn't work yesterday but then again we won't play that level of comp again this season.

Good observations Harry. McKinney was overmatched clearly and Lemon had trouble with the speed out there. Move Lemon back inside and slide Rentfro or someone to RT.

I was surprised at how much hurry up offense we ran. I felt like if we would've slowed down, got in a huddle and took a little more time the offense might've gotten into a better rhythm. Would've helped give our defense a little more rest too.

Good catch. That was something I meant to put above. There was a lot of no huddle going on

I was surprised at how much hurry up offense we ran. I felt like if we would've slowed down, got in a huddle and took a little more time the offense might've gotten into a better rhythm. Would've helped give our defense a little more rest too.

That's a good observation.

Going into this season, our concern was the DL. After last night, I feel very good about our defense overall. I especially liked the red zone defense early when we held the Horns to a missed FG, and then again in the third quarter when the Horns had to go with a fourth down QB sweep to score. Not generating anything on offense and throwing four interceptions simply made it too easy for the UT offense to score.

• Upvote 1

Skladany may be one of the top college DC's in the country with the magic he's performed the last two years. And you hear about his report he has with the players, they seem to really love and respect him. That kind of relationship with a coach makes you want to work till you drop for the guy.

And Flusche, wow, loved seeing him mixing it up last night. To me, and for me it'll have to be this way, coming to watch our defense is going to be my motivation to get in the truck and drive for this team.

Only at North Texas!

Rick

• Upvote 1

Very proud of our defense- especially since they were on the field all night. I bet Texas ran 95-100 plays. I was very impressed with our defense particularly the first quarter- lots of good stops. They definitely seemed to wear down our defense towards the end. Wallace, Buyers and Akunne were a few that really stood out.

Very proud of our defense- especially since they were on the field all night. I bet Texas ran 95-100 plays. I was very impressed with our defense particularly the first quarter- lots of good stops. They definitely seemed to wear down our defense towards the end. Wallace, Buyers and Akunne were a few that really stood out.

Agree plus I think Flusche did very good while in. I hope a bunch of the Muenster krauts go the the SMU game and tailgate next weekend, those people know how to cook, drink, and have a good time. They are also very loyal and supportive to their team.

74 plays to our 60. But point well taken.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Our offensive game plan was horrible. Why didn't we get Green started off with some short safe throws and screens to get him some confidence? I think we attempted one screen against an over aggressive defense. We did not move our QB's around in the pocket at all. Every pass play looked basically the same as far as the QB's drop depth.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah...play calling had a definite affect on this game. Execution is one thing, but when plays are dialed up that have low % rate of success is another. Canales was treating our QB's like freaking Peyton Manning, giving them 3 or 4 reads almost every pass play. One route, quick throw reads were badly needed and will happen against SMU. I just don't understand why they weren't happening last night. I don't know what Mac's implementation is on the offense, but if it's little to nothing he should be sitting with Canales all week long to figure thing thing out.

I wonder if they don't consider moving Lemon back to guard. It didn't work yesterday but then again we won't play that level of comp again this season.

We weren't good on OL with Lemon at tackle and McKinney at guard last year. I am worried about this going forward.

To be honest with you 90 I am not concerned about the OL rotation. We have big boys that will open holes during conference play. And if the OL don't open them we have 2 bruisers that will run through CUSA's undersized LB's. The run game and OL rotation will gel as the season progresses, that's almost a given. As far as pass protection...we did decent last night against the biggest DL we will face all year. RB's will/better get coached up this week to help out with the pass protection. Kirby, Y'barro, and Lemon all 3 got whipped once a piece against UT. Again, not worried about that moving forward. Throwing a hitch route to the right colored jersey could be a prolonged issue though and that is my main concern at this point.

To be honest with you 90 I am not concerned about the OL rotation. We have big boys that will open holes during conference play. And if the OL don't open them we have 2 bruisers that will run through CUSA's undersized LB's. The run game and OL rotation will gel as the season progresses, that's almost a given. As far as pass protection...we did decent last night against the biggest DL we will face all year. RB's will/better get coached up this week to help out with the pass protection. Kirby, Y'barro, and Lemon all 3 got whipped once a piece against UT. Again, not worried about that moving forward. Throwing a hitch route to the right colored jersey could be a prolonged issue though and that is my main concern at this point.

Well said

My biggest observation outside of the not having a d1 qb is how terrible our center played. I don't think he had a clean snap in the shotgun formation. Everything was super low.

The defense played phenomenal all things considered. Outside of the dumb unnecessary roughness penalty that led to the first touchdown, they did a great job containing texas. I was really impressed with how well we covered down field and eliminated the deep ball.

• Upvote 1