$130M UNT Union ready for 'topping out' ceremony

Harry

The University of North Texas System's largest ever Denton campus construction project is readying to mark a milestone.

The school's new $130 million University Union in Denton is scheduled to get its highest steel beam placed atop the campus building in a 'topping off' ceremony, which marks the completion of the tallest point in construction and is the crowing moment of a project a tradition among builders.

"We're halfway through construction on the new union, and this milestone is very important to UNT students, as they will soon be able to see all their hard work come to fruition," said Zane Reif, the director of the University Union, in a written statement. "After the placement of the highest steel beam, the building's 'skin' will start to go up, and the whole project will really take shape."

Read more: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2014/08/28/130m-unt-university-union-ready-for-topping-out.html

I am gonna feel so lost next time I go to the finished Union. :lol:

I know right? I wonder what they will do with some of the old decor like that big wooden clock by the stairway...

I love the fact they will have photos of athletic stars and also love the green flags all around it. It's going to be awesome.

That's too cool Christopher! How'd you get that? Five finger discount?

So any chance they reopen the infamous Rock Bottom Lounge?

Or here's another one that will show my age.... Any chance they bring back the cyberball video game? I played that damn game more than I studied!

Hahaha. I got it at a basketball game last year as part of a Student Alumni Association auction. I wanted one of the massive Silver Eagle Suite signs, but a group of Talon members beat me in the betting.

I really like mine though...

----

And I don't know about the Rock Bottom Grill, but the revamped Syndicate will have multiple levels and the stage's backdrop will be a massive roll-door that can open to the outdoors. This way it can be converted for outdoor concerts quickly.

• Upvote 1