Coach Chico comments on all of the UNT 2014 Practices

Harry

The guy I compare him to more is Reggie Bush.

I saw it in his high school film too.

Silver has hinted to not get too excited over HS highlight films, but his form, the "pick up" in his legs and cut back ability seem to be in Reggie's mold.

It sounds like he is getting some results on the college level. I look forward to seeing him and the rest of our backs.

Ok, all these assessments of Wilson are based on what? His HS film? OR! have some of you been getting into practice and viewing him first hand?

For me, it's his HS film. I'm not saying he's as good as those guys, or that he's proven himself against competition anywhere near college level.

People have such a hard time grasping this concept. But there's more to highlight films than just good play, bad play, touchdown, good competition, bad competition. I don't care if his highlights are against his 2A school's scout team in practice. You can see his elite cutting and change of direction abilities.

This conversation was had in one of Wilson's threads last year in the recruiting forum. BigDanTeague brought it up, and he was spot on.

Some people put too much stock in a school's classification and/or a player's stats.

The bottom line is you can judge talent or you can't. Film and (ideally) in-person should tell you everything. Obviously, a 2A player will likely have a bigger learning curve than a 5A player. But just because a guy dominates at the 2A level doesn't mean his FBS-worthiness is any less than if he was simply an above average 5A player.

You put on Wilson's tape, he can play in CUSA.

Ok, all these assessments of Wilson are based on what? His HS film? OR! have some of you been getting into practice and viewing him first hand?

This.

Lets tap the breaks on annointing him the next Patrick Cobbs or Jamario Thomas.

He is a true freshman that has had a couple of nice practices.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Capper playing the "under appreciated and overlooked by fans" card again. Seems like he reads this board almost as much, if not more than RV.

Capper likes to pretend he is an assistant coach and taunt all the fans with "I know something you don't know". Childish.

We should change his title from lame SID to just SD, since there is no "Information" ever provided with this program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

This.

We shall see my friend, we shall see.

Also forgot to put I think Jimmy is the best back right now in the program dudes a game changer.

This.

This always happens anytime comparisons are made to top college players or NFL players. People overreact, misconstrue the comparison, and read/hear what they want.

GMG said Wilson was an inch shorter and 20 lbs lighter than Adrian Peterson coming out of high school. And referenced that they are both from East Texas. And I said I saw some Reggie Bush in his highlights. Not Bush caliber, but his elite one-cut change of direction abilities, particularly in the open field, and his size out of high school reminded me of Bush. Not his top end speed or production at high levels.

Apparently this was read as "Jeffery Wilson is the next Patrick Cobbs/Jamario Thomas."

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

Jimmy regressed a little last year. I hope that he gets back to his freshman form where he doesn't second guess himself.

No doubt, but when he made plays they were special which is why I think he's our #1 right now, he'll come in run the D ragged, then Pegram will come in and knock the piss out of them daze them, then Whoever is the 3rd back will come in and do their thing. We will have a 3 headed running game again. Boom!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I watched his highlights, but I also watched him in the high school coaches all-star game, down in San Antonio. The kid has skills. Even though they played him as a slot receiver all night, he managed to end the game with more catches and yards than the game MVP.

Again, even though I have a very high opinion of Wilson, I still say red shirt him. We have a strong stable of backs this season. Let Wilson grow and develop. Then he can shock everyone in 2015, while they are still trying to figure out how to stop Evans.

• Upvote 2

No doubt, but when he made plays they were special which is why I think he's our #1 right now, he'll come in run the D ragged, then Pegram will come in and knock the piss out of them daze them, then Whoever is the 3rd back will come in and do their thing. We will have a 3 headed running game again. Boom!

Hopefully 3 back is a speedster to give a burst of speed against a tired legged, sucking wind defense. That would be ideal. We have 3 guys that would fit into that 3rd back position and that's a good thing. I really hope Wille Ivery is used as a versatile offensive weapon rather than a back so I'm not referring to him as one of those 3 backs.
  • Downvote 1

Wilson is going to be our second best back this year at 6'1 190 (probably plays like 200) he can do stuff our other backs specialize in. He's the total package. Food for thought, he's 1 inch shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Adrian Peterson was when he came out of HS. He also played just a few short miles down the road from All Day. Not making that comparison but just a little food for thought. If the kids can play you bring them in and let them play that only HELPS when recruiting the next class, look we played xyz number of freshman. If you get here and you can play you'll get on the field.

I see similar talent and ability to what Peterson had coming out of high school, (burst, vision, receiving ability, strength, power, and speed). I'm sure Wintrich will put 20 pounds of good mucle on him, which is the main reason I hope they red shirt him. I think he has the frame to carry another 15 or 20 pounds without losing much speed, if any. He might even get faster. I have no idea how programs like Texas and Oklahoma missed him, but I'm glad they did.

• Upvote 2

This always happens anytime comparisons are made to top college players or NFL players. People overreact, misconstrue the comparison, and read/hear what they want.

GMG said Wilson was an inch shorter and 20 lbs lighter than Adrian Peterson coming out of high school. And referenced that they are both from East Texas. And I said I saw some Reggie Bush in his highlights. Not Bush caliber, but his elite one-cut change of direction abilities, particularly in the open field, and his size out of high school reminded me of Bush. Not his top end speed or production at high levels.

Apparently this was read as "Jeffery Wilson is the next Patrick Cobbs/Jamario Thomas."

My point is we don't even know if he is the next Antoinne Jimmerson. We are going off high school video against lower classification players and some kind words from coaches after 4 practices and one scrimmage.

Lets just hope he can contribute on special teams as a true freshman. Anything else is gravy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My point is we don't even know if he is the next Antoinne Jimmerson. We are going off high school video against lower classification players and some kind words from coaches after 4 practices and one scrimmage.

Lets just hope he can contribute on special teams as a true freshman. Anything else is gravy.

It's a FORUM remember?? Opinion based, I really don't understand he you constantly need to be a Debbie downer. Please enlighten me! Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's a FORUM remember?? Opinion based, opi really don't understand he you constantly need to be a Debbie downer. Please enlighten me!

Yes it is, which is why I disagree with people without calling them a Debbie downer.

Maybe I just happen to believe the backs that have been here for 2 or 3 years are better than an incoming freshman who was playing in 2A last year?

I guess that means I hate UNT, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Ya because kids at 2a schools can't play.... You're right forgot you are the smartest person on this board.

Never said I was. Just a different point of view.

And I never said 2A kids can't play. I do think expecting a true freshman 2A back to leapfrog a pretty darn good stable of backs, especially under a coach who has shown time and again that he prefers the proven commodity, is a little more than a bit overly optimistic.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Having a stable full of good backs is never a bad thing... But trying to find playing time for more than two or three almost always ends with a bunch of guys out there struggling to find their groove.

Or some of them trying too hard to make the big dazzling play while they are in there...instead of getting the 3 or 4 yards we need to move the chains.