Coach Chico comments on all of the UNT 2014 Practices

Harry

Only problem is that we are already so deep at RB. Peagram, jimmy, Evans and Rollins should all see PT

Yup. What I said before camp started was that I thought the coaches would redshirt Wilson, then he'd play a little next year and take over as the starter in 2016, after Jimmerson leaves. With the other younger backs like Evans and Ivery being speed guys, Wilson has the size/growth potential to be the go-to guy and pound the ball between the tackles while we try to get the other backs in open space.

Because of the other younger guys being smaller backs, it would help if we could redshirt Wilson and save him for after Pegram and Jimmerson graduate. But if he cracks the top 3 somehow, then it'll be hard to redshirt him.

Coach Mac talked about being impressed by all the receivers, RBs, d-linemen, and linebackers. Good chance both d-linemen don't redshirt (DT Tauaalo and DE Johnson), at least one linebacker doesn't redshirt, if not both (Garner or Montgomery), and we all know the receivers have a great shot at not redshirting.

Could be a lot of guys but Coach Mac has shown that he doesn't use a lot of redshirts on linebackers and secondary kids. I think we'll see a lot of true freshmen this year. It's seemed that way for a while, but the freshman's supposed performances are reinforcing that.

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/eric_capper/status/498123833237581825

Capper playing the "under appreciated and overlooked by fans" card again. Seems like he reads this board almost as much, if not more than RV.

I think it's more of the "we only tease, Don't want opponents to know info" bit. Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2

I think it's more of the "we only tease, Donny want opponents to know info" bit.

Yeah, that's the main reason. He just likes to use us fans on this board as motivation, too. Whether we're critical of them or don't talk about them enough.

I just feel like it hurts the relationship the players have with the fan base from time to time. More of "I'm going to prove them wrong," than "I'm going to do this for the fans that come out and support us." But whatever works.

• Upvote 1

Harris and Jeffery Wilson, 5 out of 6 days. Also, walkon true freshman AJ Ezzard. We are very stacked at RB, but getting Ezzard to walkon was impressive. Very good back. Was very surprised he wasn't getting any scholarships throughout the process.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, that's the main reason. He just likes to use us fans on this board as motivation, too. Whether we're critical of them or don't talk about them enough.

I just feel like it hurts the relationship the players have with the fan base from time to time. More of "I'm going to prove them wrong," than "I'm going to do this for the fans that come out and support us." But whatever works.

I seem to remember a certain conference title winning coach who was absolutely roasted for that same "bunker mentality" approach.

I seem to remember a certain conference title winning coach who was absolutely roasted for that same "bunker mentality" approach.

He was mostly roasted for it once he quit winning conference titles. And that was when he really went into his bunker mentality. Charlie Weis had the same approach when he arrived at Notre Dame, so he had no one looking to do him favors once he started losing.

• Upvote 1

Harris and Jeffery Wilson, 5 out of 6 days. Also, walkon true freshman AJ Ezzard. We are very stacked at RB, but getting Ezzard to walkon was impressive. Very good back. Was very surprised he wasn't getting any scholarships throughout the process.

Who is Thompson?

It'll be interesting to see if Wilson gets redshirted. And if not what happens to Rollins....

• Upvote 1

I know we all would like to see Wilson and his skills as just a True Freshman, me included. With this said we already have a tremendous amount of backs already! I really hope we red shirt him and let him get even stronger, learn the system, and get him prepared to be awesome. He is probably ready now but I see too often these young players bodies aren't used to the speed and size of D1 and get hurt. Then you are left with 3 years of fighting through injuries. I realize injuries can happen at any time but give your players a better chance, especially if you are already stacked at that position. Just my belief.

• Upvote 4

I know we all would like to see Wilson and his skills as just a True Freshman, me included. With this said we already have a tremendous amount of backs already! I really hope we red shirt him and let him get even stronger, learn the system, and get him prepared to be awesome. He is probably ready now but I see too often these young players bodies aren't used to the speed and size of D1 and get hurt. Then you are left with 3 years of fighting through injuries. I realize injuries can happen at any time but give your players a better chance, especially if you are already stacked at that position. Just my belief.

I tend to agree, but if Wilson is actually our best RB--not saying he is, but if he is--how do you keep him off the field? Put a redshirt on another RB.

I think Wilson could be a good RB for UNT this season. He seems to have the burst, natural ability, and vision every team looks for in a back. But, we do have a strong stable of backs this season. I'd red shirt him too. I think Evans and Wilson could be the best backfields in C-USA in 2015.

Wilson is going to be our second best back this year at 6'1 190 (probably plays like 200) he can do stuff our other backs specialize in. He's the total package. Food for thought, he's 1 inch shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Adrian Peterson was when he came out of HS. He also played just a few short miles down the road from All Day. Not making that comparison but just a little food for thought. If the kids can play you bring them in and let them play that only HELPS when recruiting the next class, look we played xyz number of freshman. If you get here and you can play you'll get on the field.

• Upvote 1

Wilson is going to be our second best back this year at 6'1 190 (probably plays like 200) he can do stuff our other backs specialize in. He's the total package. Food for thought, he's 1 inch shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Adrian Peterson was when he came out of HS. He also played just a few short miles down the road from All Day. Not making that comparison but just a little food for thought. If the kids can play you bring them in and let them play that only HELPS when recruiting the next class, look we played xyz number of freshman. If you get here and you can play you'll get on the field.

The guy I compare him to more is Reggie Bush. I know these are overwhelming comparisons, but I've always seen Bush in Wilson's highlights. A poor man's Bush, not the top end speed, albeit. But they are similarly built and they both have elite change of direction ability. Wilson's one-step cutting ability is tremendous. If he would've played in the metroplex he would've had plenty of Big12 offers.

He's clearly not Bush or Peterson. But he certainly does have ability far beyond his rankings or offers. Was very underexposed and great job by the staff finding this kid. Because a lot of other coaches didn't.

Who is the best? Evans? The Jimmy Show?