new names on UNT Football roster

Marty

He was listed earlier this summer and Cousins was not. Now they seem to have switched. I was the one who made most of the comments about Shanbour. But only based on his participation in basic QB drills at the beginning of practice. He had the quickest release I've seen since Steve Ramsey. He also had a very strong arm. He never participated in scrimmages. I suspect he had a leg injury because he just limped through gassers at the end of one scrimmage. Too bad.

Cousins also has a pretty quick release and he is pretty mobile.

Wasn't meant to be anything other than, hey if this kid showed pretty decent skills, maybe we are better off than we think if he can't crack the rotation. I hope he has legitimate skills.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't meant to be anything other than, hey if this kid showed pretty decent skills, maybe we are better off than we think if he can't crack the rotation. I hope he has legitimate skills.

Agree with this, even though I don't always agree with how the coaches rank the QB's. From what I saw in spring practice I thought the QB's looked like this

1.McNulty

2. Williams (only if he starts being more consistent)

3. Means

4. Greer

5. Cousins

Shanbour was not allowed to run any of the scrimmages............ at the end of practice or otherwise. But again, just judging by the basic QB drills, he had the best release and his arm was just as strong as any of the others. During practice scrimmages he would follow along the offense on the sideline and send in signals.

Edited by SilverEagle

What did you see out of Greer to have him at 4?

It's mostly "intangibles". He is tall. And he is reasonably mobile, and has a strong arm, but it (how his moves and throws) seems.....natural. He seemed a bit awkward and uneasy at the beginning of spring practice but he made progress by the end of spring. Means made more progress. And his whole "thowing motion-speed-footwork" seemed more natural by the time the spring game came along.

It's similar to the discussion I used to have regarding Scott Hall vs Andrew Smith. Their arm strength was about the same. Smith had a little quicker release and Hall was faster than Smith. But the main thing that tipped the scale for me was Hall's leadership ability . Even though Emmitt would strongly disagree with me, it was an "intangible" that Smith didn't seem to have.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

I haven't been rooting for McNulty since he's been at North Texas, but if DW is out of the equation give me McNulty. He knows the offense inside and out and has game experience. He might need to be micromanaged and given roll out plays to let him see his options a little better. But at this point I'm rooting for him to take control of this team and lead them. GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Our best outcome would be the Dajon drank a gallon of maturity over the summer and comes in and takes the QB position in summer practice.

I fear the results under any other scenario.

No, that's what you think our best option is. The fact, is that you know hardly a fraction of what the coaches do and have no idea what the "results under any other scenario" would be.

• Upvote 6

No, that's what you think our best option is. The fact, is that you know hardly a fraction of what the coaches do and have no idea what the "results under any other scenario" would be.

Mr. Obviousman, is that you?

Let's see. DW beat out mini Mac as a true freshman out of summer camp and almost beat out an incumbent 2 year starter.

DW was running 2nd team reps in practice the Thursday before the Idaho game. I know. I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

I don't think anyone disputes the fact (even the coaches) that DW has the best raw talent of any QB on the roster. It's been a case of him putting it together.

But, yes, only the coaches know exactly what the coaches are thinking at any point in time.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Mr. Obviousman, is that you?

Let's see. DW beat out mini Mac as a true freshman out of summer camp and almost beat out an incumbent 2 year starter.

DW was running 2nd team reps in practice the Thursday before the Idaho game. I know. I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

I don't think anyone disputes the fact (even the coaches) that DW has the best raw talent of any QB on the roster. It's been a case of him putting it together.

But, yes, only the coaches know exactly what the coaches are thinking at any point in time.

Yes, mini Mac has his lunch pail and dw has raw talent. And since his promising summer camp and fall practice, all he has done is get passed up by mcnulty, Greer and possibly means. That would mean he's been out performed by mini Mac who obviously sucks in your opinion, a jc transfer in his first year and a true freshman. So, it doesn't seem like he's our best option or that you should be worried than ANY other option at qb be the starter. Well, I'm sure you'll be worried, because I'm sure that you still think we can't win by running the ball.

And the fraction of knowledge that I referred to wasn't about their current thoughts, but about football knowledge in general, especially this team. They know our shortcomings, our strengths, who is the first, second, third and fourth best at every position, everyone's mental mindset and who will do the job the best than any of us jokers.

• Upvote 2

Yes, mini Mac has his lunch pail and dw has raw talent. And since his promising summer camp and fall practice, all he has done is get passed up by mcnulty, Greer and possibly means. That would mean he's been out performed by mini Mac who obviously sucks in your opinion, a jc transfer in his first year and a true freshman. So, it doesn't seem like he's our best option or that you should be worried than ANY other option at qb be the starter. Well, I'm sure you'll be worried, because I'm sure that you still think we can't win by running the ball.

And the fraction of knowledge that I referred to wasn't about their current thoughts, but about football knowledge in general, especially this team. They know our shortcomings, our strengths, who is the first, second, third and fourth best at every position, everyone's mental mindset and who will do the job the best than any of us jokers.

I know less than Benford about our basketball team.

Oh, oops

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Right. We should just stop talking about football and let the coaches handle it.

Oh, wait. We are fans. And this is a fan board. Where you talk about football. Specifically, what you think may happen when the COACHES have said the QB race is wide open and you are less than a month away from game one.

You think McNulty will be fine, I do not. Neither of us are right, because no games have been played to know, except for McNulty's less than stellar performance in every meaningful game he has played at the QB position.

So, yes, there is evidence to support my thought process about McNulty.

But let's try to keep in mind that this is a fan board where people have opinions about future football games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

You realize Dajon fell behind the other three when he got injured, right?

• Upvote 3