new names on UNT Football roster

Marty

No, he was getting passed in the winter workouts and spring practice. Before his injury I think he was taking most reps with the 2nd and 3rd teams, mostly 3rd.

He started strong in Spring practice before getting in the doghouse and getting hurt.

I think the lack of commitment in the weight room followed by taking too many chances followed by the injury (which could be a result of a lack of commitment to conditionoling) dropped him on the depth chart.

He has the highest ceiling of any QB on the roster. He proved that he could handle the spotlight in the mop up duty he got against Idaho. He needs to prove to the coaches that he has matured, will take care of the ball, and stay committed to the conditioning program.

My personal opinion is that we may be in for a long season if DW doesn't get it together and win the QB job. Yours is quite the opposite, I'm sure. So we will just have to agree to disagree.

And, as always, if McNulty wins the job, I hope he goes on to win the Heisman.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I was physically there for most every spring practice. He rolled with the ones and twos before injury.

Good info. My memory fades with age (and I wasn't at any practice).

This leads me to believe that Mac was pissed at an injury caused by lack of conditioning caused by lack of effort in the conditioning program, this causing a pissed off Mac to drop him to 4th on the depth chart as a motivation and a message.

We all should really hope he responds.

I know, quite the supposition.

I was physically there for most every spring practice. He rolled with the ones and twos before injury.

I went back and read the blogs from practice and you're more right than I am. He was splitting with all three teams, mostly 2nd and 3rd from the ones I read toward the end of spring practice.

I don't want to be misunderstood as a mcnulty supporter, I'm not saying he will be good or even win the job, my choice would be Greer. Basically my point is that dw has done almost as little as anyone can do to get this much hype (except berglund). No one outside of the coaches has seen enough of him to know what he's capable of.

• Upvote 1

I am going to throw this out that roster may not yet be 100% updated. For instance, I still think Quinn Shanbour may still be on the squad, although he could be greyshirt and I don't know if they are allowed to be listed.

I am going to throw this out that roster may not yet be 100% updated. For instance, I still think Quinn Shanbour may still be on the squad, although he could be greyshirt and I don't know if they are allowed to be listed.

You can't grayshirt someone after they enroll in college. Shanbour participated in spring ball, so grayshirt is out of the question.
  • Upvote 1

I went back and read the blogs from practice and you're more right than I am. He was splitting with all three teams, mostly 2nd and 3rd from the ones I read toward the end of spring practice.

I don't want to be misunderstood as a mcnulty supporter, I'm not saying he will be good or even win the job, my choice would be Greer. Basically my point is that dw has done almost as little as anyone can do to get this much hype (except berglund). No one outside of the coaches has seen enough of him to know what he's capable of.

The same coaches that had him running 2nd team as a true freshman before the Idaho game.

That is the reason for the hype.

• Upvote 1

The same coaches that had him running 2nd team as a true freshman before the Idaho game.

That is the reason for the hype.

Your opinions of the QBs he beat out are low, so if your right about the others, then there should be no hype until he does something substantial in a game. No, a drive at the end of a game against Idaho is not substantial.

• Upvote 1

Your opinions of the QBs he beat out are low, so if your right about the others, then there should be no hype until he does something substantial in a game. No, a drive at the end of a game against Idaho is not substantial.

Only low on McNulty, and that has to do with his performance. No one knows how the other 2 will do because they haven't take one snap under center in an FBS football game.

Do I think QB is a severe concern this year because of a lack of talent? You betcha. Go look at our QB recruiting. We should be concerned.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Another new name on the roster:
Brealon Schwartz, LB from Kennedale
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/138568/brealon-schwartz

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1132870/brealon-schwartz

Shows to be a RS Freshman?? Sure don't remember him from last year.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 2

Only low on McNulty, and that has to do with his performance. No one knows how the other 2 will do because they haven't take one snap under center in an FBS football game.

Do I think QB is a severe concern this year because of a lack of talent? You betcha. Go look at our QB recruiting. We should be concerned.

He was referring to last fall. Keep reinforcing your own opinion.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like he held an Arkansas Pine Bluff and a Missouri State offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Michael-Igwe-147482

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=8&c=1&nid=7419341

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

If they're smashing us up front you bet you will see him...that's a bonifide 1 technique. He ran sideline to sideline (and made plays) so not sure what you are referring to. He tends to stand too tall for my liking but that's very fixable in drill work/coaching. Welcome aboard!

• Upvote 3

If they're smashing us up front you bet you will see him...that's a bonifide 1 technique. He ran sideline to sideline (and made plays) so not sure what you are referring to. He tends to stand too tall for my liking but that's very fixable in drill work/coaching. Welcome aboard!

If he can effectively stand his ground and plug up inside running lanes, then he will definitely find a role with the defense.