Dave Campbell’s Texas Football out — let’s talk expectations

Harry

Do the service academies technically have athletic scholarships? Aren't all students on full ride in exchange for X years of service after graduation?

Not technically athletic scholarships per say, however they do have slightly different recruiting practices for athletes than for general student populations.

But yes all Cadets of any academy are going to have essentially full ride scholarships.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed in DCTF error. Last 10 win season for NT is footnoted as sub-div one football. Fry's 1977 football team was definitely 1a or whatever it was referred to in those days.

So whatever genius thought that footnote should be added apparently didn't have the minutes necessary to check their erroneous belief.

Disappointed in DCTF error. Last 10 win season for NT is footnoted as sub-div one football. Fry's 1977 football team was definitely 1a or whatever it was referred to in those days.

So whatever genius thought that footnote should be added apparently didn't have the minutes necessary to check their erroneous belief.

Actually, calling '77 a "ten win season" should come with an asterisk. The "win" over Mississippi State was a loss on the field and later forfeit by them. You are correct, we were 1A at the time.

Edited by VideoEagle

I heard from a very reliable source that Buyers could have played a lot more the year before, but he had issues with his tackling and he worked on it in the spring of 2013. Obviously the issues he had are behind him.

It does bother me that the coaches know that there is better raw talent available, but will stick with the starter/player that has better technique and knowledge. At some point you have to get guys some experience and see what they can do. And don't twist this as if I am saying put an athletic dummy out there...but don't sit a player because of one technique or flaw. I'm sure there are some ways or situations to work guys in and get their experience and confidence up. It should not be a "know everything first" then you can play attitude.

Buyers was pushing for the starting spot in spring 2013 and before the season. He was just waiting for his opportunity. I'm glad the coaches finally pulled the trigger in the Ball state game, but how much better could we have been had the decision been made earlier? He (and jones) could have made a big difference if he started Ohio.

Who knows if there's more situations out there like buyers. J Marshall comes to mind.

I understand what you are trying to say here but tackling is a back-breaking flaw for a cornerback playing man coverage. He got it fixed and is one of our better tacklers but I wouldn't want a corner out there not being able to tackle. Trust in Skladany.

I understand what you are trying to say here but tackling is a back-breaking flaw for a cornerback playing man coverage. He got it fixed and is one of our better tacklers but I wouldn't want a corner out there not being able to tackle. Trust in Skladany.

Probably not as an every down player, but playing DB also has the passing game aspect to it. Covering is something UNT had issues with the previous season, and also at the start of this past season.

You went 4-8 and had a possible upgrade on the bench.

At some point, you have to get players reps. McNulty should have had some quality reps by now too.

If we don't have a 2010-like injury fest and our lines and QB develop like I think they will under Coach Mac and his staff, I expect 7 wins with this schedule, think 8 is reasonable, 9+ would be incredible (but not unfathomable), and 10+ is pie-in-the sky.

But make no mistake about this--every game, including the first one, are all winnable. Texas might be better than us, but I think they are gonna be a train wreck this year under Charlie Strong. SMU will be better than last year, but I still think they are a bad team under a coach who doesn't want to be there. Indiana will be tough since its on the road and they are getting better, but we could beat them. Rice and UTSA are the toughest conference games, by far, since they are both on the road and both teams have good talent and good coaching in place.

I see us at 8-4 (losses at UT, Indiana, Rice, and UTSA) and earn that spot in the NM Bowl in Albuquerque.

I see us at 8-4 (losses at UT, Indiana, Rice, and UTSA) and earn that spot in the NM Bowl in Albuquerque.

I would predict the same thing and I would consider an outcome like that a huge success.

UTSA and Rice being better is not a good thing, but if we go 7-5 or better, we will have a possible 7-8 starters coming back on offense and defense.

We would have a legitimate shot at being ranked in 2015.

The Indiana game will be very interesting to see how we come out. We should be 3-1 if we take care of business against latech, smu, and nich st.

we play la tech sept 11th on a Thursday. Nichols state and a bye week. Thats a possible 23 days to prepare for Indiana if we do not put a lot of time into Nicholls st. Time to correct any issues and rest players. Also gives us a week to sit and scout while they play a decent Maryland team.

Noah Joseph is coaching an area they were horrible in last season. We better not be predictable, and this is the one game I could see us mixing it up. They have a bad defense. If there is any time to insert new weapons and solidify any starters, this would be the time.

Actually, calling '77 a "ten win season" should come with an asterisk. The "win" over Mississippi State was a loss on the field and later forfeit by them. You are correct, we were 1A at the time.

Yes, that is the only reason I read the footnote because I figured it was about the forfeit. However, I have no problem at all with counting a forfeited game a win. I believe they used ineligible players and no one knows how that game would have ended if they had not. They barely won on the field and playing their usual dirty football. They took Chapman out two straight years with chop blocks. I still can't believe we hired Bob Tyler a few years later.

If we don't have a 2010-like injury fest and our lines and QB develop like I think they will under Coach Mac and his staff, I expect 7 wins with this schedule, think 8 is reasonable, 9+ would be incredible (but not unfathomable), and 10+ is pie-in-the sky.

But make no mistake about this--every game, including the first one, are all winnable. Texas might be better than us, but I think they are gonna be a train wreck this year under Charlie Strong. SMU will be better than last year, but I still think they are a bad team under a coach who doesn't want to be there. Indiana will be tough since its on the road and they are getting better, but we could beat them. Rice and UTSA are the toughest conference games, by far, since they are both on the road and both teams have good talent and good coaching in place.

I wonder whether Larry Brown's success will have a positive or negative psychological effect on June Jones.

I could see it going both ways.