Phil Steele C-USA preseason team

GOMG2013

Blake Macek gets 4th team punter. Surprised not to see James Jones listed! Felt Laramie Lee deserved higher. Wallace getting cred from his high school ratings and time at Oregon.

Nice find GOMG2013 -- + 1

Weird. I could've sworn this was already posted. As for Wallace, yup, Harry's spot on. Phil likes the big school transfers just based on their high school merit. He had Berglund starting last year and was projecting him to give us one of the top 5 most improved passing offenses in the country.

Wallace may not even start. Lee & Buyers should've both been higher.

I have heard from several people that Wallace can play and he does good when he is in there. His issue is learning every thing. From what I get is it's just a matter of time before he learns it and not a lack of effort. Was told blake bean picked up the defense immediately and he can play also. An injury may have kept him from winning the starting spot.

Fred Scott is the starter and he picked up the system quickly too. If he keeps the starting spot, he will be the real deal because he has some legit talent behind him.

This is what I have heard from a few people, so I am just passing info on this. If anyone else has seen or heard anything, you can add to the discussion.

Lee, Buyers, and Jones should've all been higher.

Fixed.

We turned the corner when Buyers and Jones took over as starting corners last year. They made a HUGE difference in defending the long passing game.

I don't know why Steele feels big program transfers are anything close to a lock to contribute. There is a reason they are transferring, and that reason is usually they weren't good enough to get on the field with a major program. We have seen numerous big school, 4 star transfers not even crack the 2 deep here. Granted, Wallace doesn't seem to be that guy, but Wallace is still 2nd team right now and hasn't been able to beat out Scott at MLB.

I don't know why Steele feels big program transfers are anything close to a lock to contribute. There is a reason they are transferring, and that reason is usually they weren't good enough to get on the field with a major program. We have seen numerous big school, 4 star transfers not even crack the 2 deep here. Granted, Wallace doesn't seem to be that guy, but Wallace is still 2nd team right now and hasn't been able to beat out Scott at MLB.

Nope. From just his true freshman year:

Oregon:

•Recorded three stops and one pass breakup in win vs. Colorado

•Made one unassisted tackle in victory at Arizona State

•Had one quarterback hurry in victory over Arizona

•Recorded one stop in win vs. Arkansas State....

•Appeared in six games as a true freshman ...

•Recorded one solo stop in win over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/anthony_wallace_879554.html

How many total minutes did Wallace play as a freshman? From what I understand he was pretty badass in high school. That doesn't transfer to college but he didn't get that good with half-hearted effort. He played okay in the spring game but at times he did look a little lost.

Phil Steele misses on some high school stars that don't pan out but overall he has the best record of all the prognosticators.

Lack of playing time is a big factor in transfers but so is homesickness, missing girl friend, and cost of living as well. Not all work out (Berglund) but some do (Trice). It's hard to predict so you just go with the early talent scores.

• Upvote 1

I hope Wallace as well as Smith is able to keep battling. I think we have 3 string contenders at MLB. That kind of depth is what we need.

Marginal size can be overcome with depth, as long as everyone can actually contribute. I hope we can play multiple players at MLB.

Wallace isnt on the second team. Blake bean is 2nd team, unless a new depth chart came out.

I thought Mac said something about Wallace being second team but not listed on the depth chart for some reason. I could be wrong.

If he is third team, then maybe he isn't the exception.

I thought Mac said something about Wallace being second team but not listed on the depth chart for some reason. I could be wrong.

If he is third team, then maybe he isn't the exception.

Or maybe he may move to the strong lb and backup akunne? From what I heard about bean, he's solid at 2nd string and considering he started for buffalo last season, he has more experience.

Even though it was on another team, bean is another returning starter from last season. (I know im reaching, but...)

Zed Evans being unable to crack the starting lineup and leaving the progran is another example of transfers for major programs not necessarily starting for a "lesser" program.

Don't get me wrong, Zed was a great special teams player and provided good depth, both here and at Louisville and will be missed this year, but not a starter at either program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep, forgot about Bean actually being 2nd. Plus ELlace plus Smith. That is 4 football players with a lot of potential. Hopefully we find our best 2 and leave them at MLB and find another way to use the others.

I missed the news on Zed. Did he leave? Otherwise I thought he received another year of eligibility.