Mean Green sign new Safety Matthew Dash

dml7007

Im a little confused on this. If you would have told me someone new was signing from a juco that was expected to make an impact, safety may have been one of my last guesses.

First guess would have been DLine. Second corner. Third maybe a wr.

Edited by GOMG2013

The elephant in the room is: What about Laramie Lee? He was out this spring. His body took a real beating this past season. Will he return?

Also, while Freddie Warner has the goods to deliver at Safety, he has had knee issues. Maybe this is insurance on any further Warner injury.

Edited by adman

The elephant in the room is: What about Laramie Lee? He was out this spring. His body took a real beating this past season. Will he return?

Also, while Freddie Warner has the goods to deliver at Safety, he has had knee issues. Maybe this is insurance on any further Warner injury.

yep. You dont get a juco this late in the game if there isnt any issues. Jucos usually dont sign to places they wont be promised at shot at playing either.

Well, as Billy has pointed out, safety might actually be the position with the least depth, especially after this year. Lee and Evans are seniors, with only Schelleci, McClain and Warner back in 2015. This signing makes a lot of sense, especially with injury concerns with Warner and Lee.

I agree. But the timing is wierd. If this was an issue, its not something that just came up now. This was the case when we were signing the 2014 class and should have been targeting a juco safety then. This makes me think there is an issue that popped up recently. (speculation not based on much facts ahead)

Lee not playing in the spring could be it. I did not hear of any injuries to a particular part of the body. Could it be a head, neck, or back injury? Zed Evans is a grad student. If he is not starting for his last season, could he be throwing in the towel? You also have warnet trying to come back.

I would bet we have an issue with one of these guys that will come out before the season starts. This doesnt seem like a move for depth.

Well, as Billy has pointed out, safety might actually be the position with the least depth, especially after this year. Lee and Evans are seniors, with only Schelleci, McClain and Warner back in 2015. This signing makes a lot of sense, especially with injury concerns with Warner and Lee.

Good point.

Still wondering what the scholarship per class situation is with us. Just when I think I know exactly how things work and what our situation of spots is available is like, I hear something conflicting.

Anyways, this signing would give us 24 for the class of 2014, by my count. We had 15 high school kids, 2 JUCOs, 1 grayshirt, 1 FBS transfer, and 4 walkons put on scholarship who counted towards the class. That's 23, and Dash puts up at 24.

But we kept hearing about this "extra scholarship" (singular) that Mac was holding in his pocket. You're allowed to sign 25 a class, so did he actually have 2 'ships in his pocket and use just 1?

Edited by BillySee58

Still wondering what the scholarship per class situation is with us. Just when I think I know exactly how things work and what our situation of spots is available is like, I hear something conflicting.

Anyways, this signing would give us 24 for the class of 2014, by my count. We had 15 high school kids, 2 JUCOs, 1 grayshirt, 1 FBS transfer, and 4 walkons put on scholarship who counted towards the class. That's 23, and Dash puts up at 24.

But we kept hearing about this "extra scholarship" (singular) that Mac was holding in his pocket. You're allowed to sign 25 a class, so did he actually have 2 'ships in his pocket and use just 1?

Olie if we're lucky. Edited by eulessismore

Olie if we're lucky.

Right, that's what I'm getting at.

In the article Vito says "UNT held on to a scholarship after signing day to add a player late." Key word was "a." Do we still have 1 more scholarship up his sleeve, for Olie if we could get him? By my count we should, but Vito has kept referring to it as a singular scholarship available for a late signee.

23 signees on signing day, plus this 1 should give us 1 left if we want. But if that's true, I'm curious why Vito hasn't said scholarships, and add a player, or two, late.

Right, that's what I'm getting at.

In the article Vito says "UNT held on to a scholarship after signing day to add a player late." Key word was "a." Do we still have 1 more scholarship up his sleeve, for Olie if we could get him? By my count we should, but Vito has kept referring to it as a singular scholarship available for a late signee.

23 signees on signing day, plus this 1 should give us 1 left if we want. But if that's true, I'm curious why Vito hasn't said scholarships, and add a player, or two, late.

Everything I have heard was there was only one left after signing day but I have learned that can sometimes be a fluid number.

My take is that this kid was all signed sealed and delivered to Illinois and something happened and he was not able to graduate in time to be eligible for Spring Training. So, that opened things back up for him. This conversation on the Illinois board seems to back that up: http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=855292

Oh, so this guy was going to sign with Illinois? If so, he should at least compete for playing time. Not to say our safeties couldn't play at Illinois bc I know they could. But P5 statistically goes after the better players. So this is good news. I honestly thought he was an "oh shit we gotta get a safety" juco signee.

• Upvote 1

Oh, so this guy was going to sign with Illinois? If so, he should at least compete for playing time. Not to say our safeties couldn't play at Illinois bc I know they could. But P5 statistically goes after the better players. So this is good news. I honestly thought he was an "oh shit we gotta get a safety" juco signee.

Yeah he went on an official visit to Champaign the weekend of Dec 15th. So my sense was he either got caught up in a numbers game or didn't get his graduation set in time to participate in spring so his stock dropped some ie Chris Loving... what's interesting is this kid is a global traveler he played high school ball in New Jersey and juco ball in Los Angeles. Now he's a North Texan!

That Pierce College must have been really good last season as they had quite a number of D-I signees. Dash is not listed on here as this was from awhile back.

Brahmas Football News

Congrats to all the Pierce Football players that committed today. Here is our updated list of players with full ride scholarships:

Division 1

TE Isaac Ijalana - University of Oklahoma
DE Jon Johnson - Cal
WR Tyrin Stone-Davis - University of Illinois
OL - Proof Chaimberlain - University of West Virginia
LB - Kohl Adams-Hurd - Old Dominion University
QB - Nick Arbuckle - Georgia State University
LB - Reece Schmidt - Old Dominion University
DT - Hakeem Allonce - University of Cincinnati Bearcats
TE - Tyler Kolodny - University of Memphis
OL - Brandon Mitchell - Marshall University
LB - Nico Henry - Southern University
FS - Bobby Baker Jr. - University of Alabama-Birmingham
CB - Max Lyons - Portland State
DT - Terrance Neahauser - Missouri State University

Division 2

LB - John R. PRuden - Southern Missouri
SS - Byron William Rozier - Chowan University
LB - Lonnie Park - Henderson University

We still have another 8-10 players that will get D1 offers and another 5-7 that will get D2. This is what JUCO football is about. Helping your players get a FREE education!!!