Boise proves why a signature win is so necessary

Harry

I think people are trying to shoe-horn a separate argument in here.

I think a win against UT in Austin would be the biggest win in UNT football's cap. Period.

Some are trying to argue though, that they would rather lose the UT game (as expected) if it would guarantee some other scenario with more wins.

I think most would fall into this camp.

I'd rather have a 10-win season with a UT loss, rather than a 6-6 season with a UT win. But, the UT win would still be the biggest in program history.

Of course. But what does this argument mean? Why would losing to UT make us more likely to win 10 games next year than beating UT?

A ranking is what gets a mid major noticed. But not a one week stint. It has to be relatively consistent. Fresno State I believe cracked the top 25 this year as did NIU. My personal perception of either team has not changed. They had fantastic QB's that are both gone now. If Fresno or NIU is ranked this year then I will take notice. It would prove to me they have a good team and not just one great player.

I agree.

But beating a weak Texas team would not have much impact either. It will be discussed nationally for just one week also. Texas goes on and have a weak season, then it is only remembered by unt fans.

Boise beat a ranked OU team in a BCS bowl and that is big time. To even get in that sitiation, Boise was already known in college football. They finished the season ranked in 02, 03, 04, & 06 before they finally got that shot. Boise played good ball before those seasons, but only started getting ranked once they joined the WAC.

Boise was well known before the signature OU win. The OU win just proved that they could play with the big boys.

Boise has been ranked every year since 02, so being in a weak conference and having a weak schedule hasnt hurt them. But like your main point, they have been consistient.

Edited by GOMG2013

Question: Is there a difference between a signature win and an upset?

Boise beating OU in a BCS bowl is a signature win.

Some other teams have pulled off early upsets but by the end of the season it looked like a fluke.

If we had beaten Georgia and finished 10 - 3 with a bowl win that would have been a signature win.

If we had beaten Georgia and tanked the rest of the season, it would have been seen as a fluke win.

I hope UNT gets to the point that a signature win is not considered a shocking upset.

• Upvote 3

Question: Is there a difference between a signature win and an upset?

Boise beating OU in a BCS bowl is a signature win.

Some other teams have pulled off early upsets but by the end of the season it looked like a fluke.

If we had beaten Georgia and finished 10 - 3 with a bowl win that would have been a signature win.

If we had beaten Georgia and tanked the rest of the season, it would have been seen as a fluke win.

I hope UNT gets to the point that a signature win is not considered a shocking upset.

Good point.

• Upvote 1

It was not a signature win, but the game I remember against Texas was in the seventies when Darrell Royal and Hayden Fry were coaching. We came very close to winning that game against Texas and Earl Cambell. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember Walter Chapman missing that game after being hurt the week before. He might have made the difference. We sat right behind the Texas bench for that game and, believe me, those guys knew they had been in a ball game and were fortunate to win.