Another reason to hate this place

GreenBat

You forget I haven't lived in Ft. Worth since 2001. From what I gather Magnolia Street has become a trendy, niche area...but I've been going to Benito's since I was about 16, waiting tables in a dive-y Ridglea-area Italian joint...Benito's stayed open late on the weekends and was our after-work dinner spot. This is the place where I learned the difference between Tex-Mex and Mexican.

I actually like Magnolia, but it is trying too hard to be Austin. It is definitely the gathering place for the Fort Worth hipster.

I'll have to try Benito's. I have seen it but never eaten there.

Joe T's may be the most egocentric restaurant in DFW. What restaurant of any notoriety doesn't take credit cards ? Of course, they have their own little ATM with a high service fee available for those that are not aware of the cash-only payment (which is almost everyone who goes the first time). There is something fishy about the cash-only policy. Are they skirting on taxes and paying off someone ? Why else would you not take credit cards, because they can certainly afford any transaction fees.

Margarita's are no longer the same. And, they want you to prepay for reserving tables.

This place was once a Ft Worth icon. Now, I wouldn't even recommend it to a tourist.

UT fans can have the place.

this is just sctick for their reputation/atmosphere of a small family owned joint that only takes cash. You see it alot with the old BBQ joints around central TX (i.e., The Salt Lick) that started as holes in the wall but are very successful now

They certainly could take credit cards but dont because they try to maintain the dinning experience/charm patrons may have had for years

The place right across the street for Joe T.'s? The place owned by Joe T.'s?

That's the place. Best breakfast burritos in town. Took Emmitt there the morning of the fort worth bowl.

However, have y'all heard of the little unknown place not far from there on the North Side that is in a tiny house where celebrities are known to visit? I can't think of the name, and it's hard to find supposedly but the Star Telegram did a piece about it a while back and said it was the best kept secret in town.

Rick

That's the place. Best breakfast burritos in town. Took Emmitt there the morning of the fort worth bowl.

However, have y'all heard of the little unknown place not far from there on the North Side that is in a tiny house where celebrities are known to visit? I can't think of the name, and it's hard to find supposedly but the Star Telegram did a piece about it a while back and said it was the best kept secret in town.

Rick

Moreno's...maybe? We used to go to some place up there west of Main somewhere in the 20s streets...I feel like I could get there and would recognize the place, but I can't think of the name

WTF is mole?

07287850523l2.jpg

Here you go.

AND I forgot to list one of the best places to get enchiladas in Fort Worth. They feature brisket enchiladas.

http://enchiladasole.com/menu/

Here is one of my favorites on the menu.....

Enmoladas
A choice worthy of an adventurous palette or just a trip down memory lane: two enchiladas filled with smoked chicken livened with a dash of curry and turmeric and smothered in Mary’s Poblano Mole sauce served with rice, beans, side guacamole salad, and a slice of fruit
$8.25
Edited by SilverEagle

Is this just a Tex-Mex discussion or are any of you going to mention a legit Mexican place?

Because if we're talking real Mexican food in Ft. Worth the conversation starts and ends with Benito's on Magnolia.

I read through this thread thinking surely someone would mention Benito's. And surely you did.

Their chile relleno is hangover-be-gone goodness.

• Upvote 1

I was told I had to try Joe T Garcia's. So, when I was in Fort Worth for work I did. It's on par with On the Border. The place itself is really cool, however, the food is average.

Maybe the reason all those famous people on their walls think it's great is because they've never had really good Mexican food. Call me picky but being from El Paso, I think Joe Ts is pretty weak. I'm still searching the Metroplex for good Mexican food.

• Upvote 1

I was told I had to try Joe T Garcia's. So, when I was in Fort Worth for work I did. It's on par with On the Border. The place itself is really cool, however, the food is average.

Maybe the reason all those famous people on their walls think it's great is because they've never had really good Mexican food. Call me picky but being from El Paso, I think Joe Ts is pretty weak. I'm still searching the Metroplex for good Mexican food.

I used to work with a woman who grew up in El Paso. She used to complain all the time about the "pour-chili-over-everything" Tex-Mex food in the metroplex. She finally found a place in Arlington that served Mexican food more like El Paso's (Arizona style), but I can't remember the name of the place.

If you're from El Paso, you definitely know good Mexican food. A couple of favorites of mine there are Kikis and Little Diner.

I used to work with a woman who grew up in El Paso. She used to complain all the time about the "pour-chili-over-everything" Tex-Mex food in the metroplex. She finally found a place in Arlington that served Mexican food more like El Paso's (Arizona style), but I can't remember the name of the place.

El Paso has quite different food from Arizona. Arizona primarily has Sonoran-style Mexican food, and it's okay...they like it pretty mild compared to El Paso, or even compared to D-FW.

If you're from El Paso, you definitely know good Mexican food. A couple of favorites of mine there are Kikis and Little Diner.

El Paso has quite different food from Arizona. Arizona primarily has Sonoran-style Mexican food, and it's okay...they like it pretty mild compared to El Paso, or even compared to D-FW.

Kiki's and Little Diner are very very good. If you ever get the chance hit the original Lucy's on Mesa for breakfast then go for sure. The Steak Picado is pure greatness. I really miss the Riviera though. I ate there several times a week for years.

Very true about EP not being like Arizona. The Mexican food in West Texas is even different than New Mexico. NM really does put chiles on everything. I guess that's why Hatch has gotten so famous. All yummy food though.

Off topic but has anybody ever tried The Elvis at Chuy's? Greatness triple bypass enducing Tex-Mex. I had it the other day and wow, it was good. Chicken breast battered in a Lay's potato chip mixer, deep fried, with queso on top...

Edited by UNTexas

Thank you for your inquiry.

Death by Panchos is a punishment that sprang up from our group's college forays into the world of the Panchos Mexican buffet. In college, Panchos was a cheap way to fill up for the day. All of us were big eaters and would really tear up the buffet. We raised the hell out of that flag.

Later in life, we would wax nostalgically about Panchos and give in to our romanticized memories, loading up the car of fat guys and hit the buffet line.

We always regretted it.

So we developed a punishment for group members that broke the rules, violated the code if you will: DEATH BY PANCHOS.

The rules of Death by Panchos are simple. The group goes to Panchos and the offender must eat one more item that the person in the group that eats the most items. So if I eat 22 items, the punishment is 23.

I know it seems like that means everyone in the group is punished, because they all have to eat Panchos as well. True. But friends hang together.

You requested photos, so here is one from the last Death by Panchos, several years ago. In the photo, you might recognize MeanGreenWithEnvy and Peacock, in addition to myself. The photo is titled, "The Last Taco Dinner" taken during MeanGreenWithEnvy's redemption through Death By Panchos.

gallery_11007_18_44109.jpg

A truly beautiful story. And despite death by panchos you all are still alive. A miracle amongst us. Cue the Life of Brian quotes...

• Upvote 1

It's hard to even have a favorite in El Paso because they're pretty much all amazing, although I think Bandidos de Carlos and Mickey or whatever it's called is high overrated. And I'll never understand the whole Chico's Tacos thing since I didn't spend my high school years getting drunk in EP. Compared to EP, I'd say I've found some decent Mexican food in DFW, but nothing that compares head to head.

Joe T. Garcia's is more TexMex, which pretty much immediately drives me away the moment I see the word.

It's hard to even have a favorite in El Paso because they're pretty much all amazing, although I think Bandidos de Carlos and Mickey or whatever it's called is high overrated. And I'll never understand the whole Chico's Tacos thing since I didn't spend my high school years getting drunk in EP. Compared to EP, I'd say I've found some decent Mexican food in DFW, but nothing that compares head to head.

Joe T. Garcia's is more TexMex, which pretty much immediately drives me away the moment I see the word.

Chico's is a cultural thing, IMO, very much like the hype of In-n-Out.

Do it once in your life; if it is 'meh' to you know that you're not alone.