Mac: Is this UNT’s deepest batch of backs ever?

Harry

Not a bad stable of backs in 76/77

Milton Collins RB 6/2 220 Bloomingrove High 1977 Bobby Daniels RB 6/1 200 Dallas Roosevelt 1977 Gary Dirks RB 6/2 215 Paris North Lamar 1976 Bernard Jackson RB 6/1 185 Dallas Carter 1976 Malcolm Jones RB 5/8 165 Dallas Carter 1976 Jimmy Lockhart RB 6-O 190 Dallas WT White 1976 Walter Sims RB 6/1 200 Waco Richfield 1976

Dirks and Lockhart did not appear in the 78 media guide. Milton Collins (a 78 signee) was one of the most disappointing recruits in NT history. He never started (at RB) and he left for a year or so. He came back and finished up playing NT for Corkey Nelson.

You left out JC transfer Fred Gordon, FB (6'3" X 234....#24 on your program) from Oklahoma (St. Gregory's JC) and Lee English FB 5'11" X 202 #33, from Wilson Arkansas. According to the 78 pocket media guide, Gordon was the #2 rusher in 77 with 82 carries, 453 yrds for 5.5 YPC. (Michael Jones #7 from tiny Lorena Tx was the #1 rusher with 940)

I still regard Fred Gordon as one of the best pure FB's I've ever seen at NT (the other would be Darrin Collins...#38 on your program). Fred Gordon and Bernard Jackson teamed up in 1978 to be one of the best (pro-style) backfield combinations ever at NT. IMHO Fred Gordon should have had a pro career.

Interestingly Bernard Jackson (listed as 5'11" X 175 in the 78 pocket media guide) was not recruited as a RB. He was recruited as a DB/WR. He converted to RB in the spring of 78.

Edited by SilverEagle

The best stable I've seen is 2002's Galbreath, Cobbs & Hickmon.

2005 Cobbs & Thomas with Mitchell had the makings to be great, but just didn't seem to click as I expected.

2012's was pretty nice too. Very balanced with Byrd, Jimmerson & Brown.

I remember there was one game near the end of the season against AState where James Mitchell got the start and logged >100.

Dirks and Lockhart did not appear in the 78 media guide. Milton Collins (a 78 signee) was one of the most disappointing recruits in NT history. He never started (at RB) and he left for a year or so. He came back and finished up playing NT for Corkey Nelson.

Have seen this expressed many times, but disagree. Collins was the most heralded recruit ever in NT football and provided more publicity than any other. Yes, he was not remotely close to the second coming of Earl Campbell that some thought he would be. However, he did start in the defensive line and provided NT with more recruiting buzz than anyone I can remember other than basketball's Tony Mitchell. Disappointing compared to expectations, but I think he really contributed to the program which is a lot more than a great number of recruits.

The best stable I've seen is 2002's Galbreath, Cobbs & Hickmon.

Galbreath is completely underrated by new modern fan, and Mike Hickmon was a beast. We beat NMSU at Fouts to go to a bowl game because he decided that was going to happen.

We won't know who is what until the end of the year, but I will say that right now I would take a healthy freshman year Jamario over anyone we have ever had. He just had a cutting ability and a burst to top speed that no one else has had.

Galbreath is completely underrated by new modern fan, and Mike Hickmon was a beast. We beat NMSU at Fouts to go to a bowl game because he decided that was going to happen.

We won't know who is what until the end of the year, but I will say that right now I would take a healthy freshman year Jamario over anyone we have ever had. He just had a cutting ability and a burst to top speed that no one else has had.

If Jamario doesn't injure his hamstring vs. Baylor in waco - we win that game easily. DAMN YOU HAMSTRING!!!