The internet makes you reed mor wurser

Serious reading takes a hit from online scanning and skimming

To cognitive neuroscientists, Handscombe’s experience is the subject of great fascination and growing alarm. Humans, they warn, seem to be developing digital brains with new circuits for skimming through the torrent of information online. This alternative way of reading is competing with traditional deep reading circuitry developed over several millennia.

“I worry that the superficial way we read during the day is affecting us when we have to read with more in-depth processing,” said Maryanne Wolf, a Tufts University cognitive neuroscientist and the author of “Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain.”

---

Researchers are working to get a clearer sense of the differences between online and print reading — comprehension, for starters, seems better with paper — and are grappling with what these differences could mean not only for enjoying the latest Pat Conroy novel but for understanding difficult material at work and school. There is concern that young children’s affinity and often mastery of their parents’ devices could stunt the development of deep reading skills.

I am a huge computer nerd. I started programming (for fun!) in grade school, I have worked in IT all my adult life, and my love of gadgets is deep seated and problematic. With that said, I really worry about the effect of constant digital media and updates on people.

When I went back to grad school I had to take some leveling classes, and being in there with a bunch of underclassmen was eye opening. These kids worked very well in teams, and could multi task like champs. Anything that took a lot of long term concentration however, was very difficult for them. I tried to help some of them out by leading some study sessions, and they had a hell of a time concentrating on one thing to the exclusion of others.

I also am a huge book lover and I am afraid new media is creating a culture incapable of the long term commitment needed for long form works.