MGB: Saturday scrimmage live blog

Brett Vito

Chelf is a very scrappy player. Fast enough, but not "take it to the house" fast. Definitely a possession receiver.

#87 WR...Brown. He's a Chelf-like receiver....only a little faster. Made a couple of good grabs today.

Evans continues to make a case for being in the rotation this fall. He didn't have any 40+ yrd td runs, but he did show me that he is very capable of running in traffic and not going down with an arm tackle.

Tucker showed me the same thing, plus he had a couple of pretty long runs.....one of them in pretty heavy traffic.

The mysterious Mr. Smith (#32) also make his case. He too is not afraid to run between the tackles (and this is significant because he looks to be no more than 5'6" X 165 or 170), but he also showed some great moves in a long TD run. He started the run going outside, then cut inside for a yard or two and then bounced outside and took it in running along the sidelines...shedding at least one tackler around the goal line.

If all our RB's show up healthy for fall practice, we are going to be very deep at RB. Deeper than I've ever seen us.

I also noticed that Jarrod Lynn (#98 from Grapevine) was getting some time at H-back and got a couple of short yardage (4th and 1 situation) runs. He was pretty quick off the line and he never got pushed back after he was stopped. He was looking a little Daniel Pryor.....ish.

TE's didn't get very involved in the passing game except for a long pass that Marcus Smith came back for on a sideline route.They tried to hit Reinhardt (#48) over the middle with one pass. The safety got tangled up with him and dislodged it. He's a load. I'd like to see him get a pass out in the open and see how well he runs with it.

BV is right, none of the QB's looked that impressive today. If we lined up tomorrow with UT I'd put McNulty in as the starter. Greer is looking better, but he still doesn't look.....well...all that natural in his movements. He releases it faster than when I observed him in passing drills the first day, but his whole throwing motion still looks just a little too deliberate to me.

DW showed some athletic ability and made some good throws, but then he would do things like overthrow our 6'5" walk-on receiver (#82 on your program) on one of those simple WR screens. He restrains himself from doing "Bergland-like" stuff, but I can tell it's a struggle.

Players I couldn't identify because they were not on the roster that I printed off two weeks ago.

WR#15....over 6' and about 200 lbs. They threw it to him three or four times with limited success.

DB #38...made a good hit or two.

DT #74. He lined up next to Sir Calvin with the third unit. He looks about the same height as Sir Calvin and about 10-15 lbs heavier.

• Upvote 6