MGB: Thursday spring practice running blog

Brett Vito

Went today...collectively as a group the QB's probably threw a minimum of 10 picks. O-line looks good and considering it's march explosive. In 7 on 7 drills Kidsy burnt Buyers twice deep. And Carlos Harris looks faster and Akunne has put on what looked to be at least 10lb since HOD. All in all, a ton of team speed.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

Replacing 6-4, 320 Richard Abbe on the DL may not be so tough if you look at the returning

part time players/starters for what they bring to the DL. I see size and quickness.

I think Coach Kevin Patrick will put together a quick, fast DL.

I also see other college DL's going to smaller quicker players since the zone read play

has developed and is used by all offenses. DL's must have speed to counter the

zone read plays. I remember how Booger Kennedy could get past the big OL players,

with his quickness and speed.

I do not think these DL players are "small" at all. I see quick feet and speed.

Austin Orr , 6-4, 280

Dutton Watson , 6-3, 280

Alex Lincoln, 6-2, 270

I am very interested in how Sid Moore, 6-1,252, and Dan Kottman, 6-1, 245 will be in

the DL mix this season. I am impressed with Sid Moore for his quickness. Moore looks

to be very strong. and can become bigger and stronger. Kottman has D1 experience

playing at San Diego State. Kottman is another smaller quick DL guy.

I left out Sir Calvin "Zero" Wallace, because I will just have to wait to see how Wallace

develops for the DL. I do not think Wallace is the quick, fast DL guy, but could clog

up the middle of the line.

Just my 2 cents off reading DL player comments.

On another note. When the Phil Steel mag comes out for 2014, I will review other

teams DL players. I was surprised to find many D1 teams have starting DL guys listed

at 5-10, 5-11, 6-0, 6-1 in the 250-270 lbs range in the 2013 Phil Steel football mag.

Edited by charlie nt73

Smaller DT's can have problems. If they don't get position on the first step they can be swallowed up by bigger linemen. Secondly, they can be worn down by bigger linemen in the second half. A good rotation can help with the second problem. The first problem can be helped by good technique, coaching, stunts, and good scouting.

Went today...collectively as a group the QB's probably threw a minimum of 10 picks. O-line looks good and considering it's march explosive. In 7 on 7 drills Kidsy burnt Buyers twice deep. And Carlos Harris looks faster and Akunne has put on what looked to be at least 10lb since HOD. All in all, a ton of team speed.

Good to hear about Kidsy. I have high expectations for him.

Kidsey has been moved to outside wr. This is good news. He has the speed to stretch the field, and has the leaping ability to go up and get the ball.

We need him on the outside. Especially this spring. We don't really have much as far as true outside receivers currently on campus. Goree and Rutherford arriving should help the depth there greatly.

Who are the starting three receivers right now? I'd imagine it's Harris inside and Terrell and Kidsy on the outside. Terrell was a slot last year behind Harris on the depth chart, but we need him on the outside with his size IMO.