I've never been to El Paso

greenjoe

I was looking foward to going to El Paso in November. But after this afternoon, i feel like I've already been. The weather kept the Mean Green fans away but it had no effect on the Miners.

When I got to my seat, I had to ask a couple of UTEP fans to move. How do all these visiting fans get seats on the "50" ? I was surrounded by orange and blue. There were a couple of students and a few alums but North Texas was outnumbered today by about 10:1.

I've never felt so embarassed at a home game. It was as if UTEP was havaing an out of town d"home game."

Sleet ? Sure. But it sleeted on the UTEP fans as well. I don't know what to make of our fans.

Sorry forthe rant but for us to get shown up so badly by a team from 9 hours away, well, I don't know.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

I was looking foward to going to El Paso in November. But after this afternoon, i feel like I've already been. The weather kept the Mean Green fans away but it had no effect on the Miners.

When I got to my seat, I had to ask a couple of UTEP fans to move. How do all these visiting fans get seats on the "50" ? I was surrounded by orange and blue. There were a couple of students and a few alums but North Texas was outnumbered today by about 10:1.

I've never felt so embarassed at a home game. It was as if UTEP was havaing an out of town d"home game."

Sleet ? Sure. But it sleeted on the UTEP fans as well. I don't know what to make of our fans.

Sorry forthe rant but for us to get shown up so badly by a team from 9 hours away, well, I don't know.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

I live 20 to 25 minutes away from Denton on a good day down here in southeast Denton County. I took me 20 minutes to make it from my house to the Lake Lewisville bridge and at that point I decided to turn around. I still had at best another 30 to 45 minutes of driving left and who knew how the roads would be after the game.

I felt pretty confident in what the outcome was going to be for the game and I wasn't disappointed.

I grew up in El Paso and I can tell you it is a great place to be from. I transferred from UTEP to NTSU back in the 1970's. I now live in Denton once again and have a lot of friends in El Paso but I would not retire there. The UTEP fans were sitting in out student section as well. At the SFA game and the UTEP game they had more fans than us. They came in bigger numbers because many of them live in the DFW area and this is the only chance they get to see a UTEP basketball game in person.

We need to hire a coach our team looks like a street basketball team.

• Upvote 2

This is a combination of where our program is and how strong the UTEP alumni association is.

These two programs haven't met in 40 years. This probably served as a wakeup call to younger UNT fans unfamiliar with what Miner bball means to their fans. I also think they would show even twice as much ferver if the opponent meant something to title chances.

Please don't misunderstand. I look foward to visiting El Paso. It's a historic city and it's one of the advantages of being in a conference like CUSA.

I just hate to let a visiting team come in and call the Super Pit their own. Like was done today. There were one million reasons not to attend today. UT El Paso just didn't buy any of them.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

Please don't misunderstand. I look foward to visiting El Paso. It's a historic city and it's one of the advantages of being in a conference like CUSA.

I just hate to let a visiting team come in and call the Super Pit their own. Like was done today. There were one million reasons not to attend today. UT El Paso just didn't buy any of them.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

UTEP fans in DFW have more reasons to travel to Denton than North Texas fans.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the fan showing today was pathetic. It has been for the majority of the year. There are 8k students that live in on campus housing and another 8k that live in walking distance (on a good day) from the Super Pit. There is another 8k that live in the city limits of Denton. I bet there may have been 500 UNT fans of which maybe 60 were students and 6 or 700 UTEP fans. 30k students live in Denton County, about 60 were at the game. When a coach is bringing in 60 students he MUST go. It's embarrassingly pathetic.

To add to that, North Texas fans will show up when there is a decent product to watch. i.e. Rice on Halloween and UTEP for Homecoming. Both games had over 12k students. I know it's football, but excitement grows when a team is winning. It doesn't matter which (major) sport it is.

UTEP is much better than us in basketball and their fans no doubt enjoyed getting to see a win over a conference opponent. Even with good weather they would've likely out-attended us by 10:1. They support their Miners.

If I remember correctly, UTEP brought the largest crowd to Apogee this past year. In El Paso they average 30,000 with a losing team; 40,000 if they are winning. UTSA was close but they had a better team, the newness factor and a shorter distance to come.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

The mocking hand waiving during "Glory to the Green" was an extra special treat from quite a few of the UTEP fan base.

The mocking hand waiving during "Glory to the Green" was an extra special treat from quite a few of the UTEP fan base.

I use to have respect for utep. But after the mock hand waving in our gym I find them to have classless fans. I guess beating us like a drum was not enough. I wish mac would have run up the score on them now instead of calling off the dogs.

Who cares?

Put me in the group who's more concerned about getting beat by 20 at home to a conference opponent who's currently in 5th place. But, according to the basketball experts on this board I shouldn't be concerned because we have a better record than last year and that's progress!!! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 4

Don't wanna get mocked in your own arena? Try not getting curb stomped on a regular basis. We didn't have any fans there to stop them and goodness knows the team couldn't do anything about it.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3

Don't wanna get mocked in your own arena? Try not getting curbed stomped on a regular basis. We didn't have any fans there to stop them and goodness knows the team couldn't do anything about it.

Oh, I agree. It's more of a frustration with OUR current situation than a slight against the UTEP fans (although it was poor taste).

It's more a comment on how WE can do nothing to stop this type if thing, either on the court or in the stands (by having enough attendance not to make this a UTEP home game).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember seeing threads like this the first couple of times we played at SMU, just shock at how many fans we bring to games. I was chatting with some Miner fans who have an affiliation with UNT (in one way or another) and they were saying that y'all didn't have any clue how overrun the Super Pit was going to become with Miner fans. And while it's obvious there would have been a much better UNT crowd if the icestorm wouldn't have hit, believe me when I say that I know of quite a few Miner fans who didn't attend either due to the weather.

• Upvote 1

I remember seeing threads like this the first couple of times we played at SMU, just shock at how many fans we bring to games. I was chatting with some Miner fans who have an affiliation with UNT (in one way or another) and they were saying that y'all didn't have any clue how overrun the Super Pit was going to become with Miner fans. And while it's obvious there would have been a much better UNT crowd if the icestorm wouldn't have hit, believe me when I say that I know of quite a few Miner fans who didn't attend either due to the weather.

I think our suckiness has much more to do with it than the ice storm, which maybe kept 100 die hards at home.

Not surprised at all by UTEP's fans just about outnumbering UNT fans. It really is what I expected when heading to the game.

Thank you, Tony Benford.