Ryan Walters heading to Memphis

dml7007

So I sat next to Ryan Walter's father-in-law waiting for a flight back from Denver yesterday (he saw my UNT sweatshirt and started talking to me). He told me he was going to Memphis and I thought I had missed some piece of news...guess I was ahead of the game and didn't know it. His F-I-L had great things to say about Coach Mac.

Edited by MDH
  • Upvote 4

Except, of course, that we wanted to keep him. He is one of our best recruiters. Let's not put a spin on this.

We wanted him to stay, and there was no way we could match the offer. That offer wasn't from Texas or USC or Ohio St. It was Memphis. Lets fix this anyway we can.

$200000 for a young kid?

Sounds like cost analysis.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

During the signing day press conference, when asked about our new DL coach Kevin Patrick, Mac mentioned in passing that they had "hundreds of people apply..."

There has been a lot of turnover in P5 schools and NFL teams in the last few months, so we have a pretty big pool of possibilities to replace Walters.

At this point none of us know why he is leaving, but if it really does boil down to money then that does sting.

Well, don't get too down. Louisville was just able to lure away Alabama's DB coach and top recruiting coordinator. So it can happen anywhere to anyone.

Brown wasn't Bama's recruiting coordinator, but he will be at Louisville. So he's receiving a promotion, position-wise, by going to Louisville. So Walters going to Memphis is not really parallel. It's more like when we hired Coach Mac from Florida.

Yes, it would be better to pay our assistants more. We have moved up from the Sun Belt and have moved up from Sun Belt salaries. We appear to be paying mid-range CUSA salaries on average. Some a little more, some less. The average salary level in the American is higher. We are growing and there is no reason to think we won't get there but we aren't there yet.

• Upvote 1

Memphis is still playing with Big East money. Let's see what happens to their budget when that money dries up and they are getting AAC funds. I expect it to change. How much is too be determined.

Regarding us, every person that bought tickets and attended the HOD should receive a call about the MGC as well as season tickets. So should every graduating student. Not sure that is happening.

Cheapness in our athletic program is our DNA, it is our tradition and it still defines us. It is atavistic and it will take a concentrated effort and real commitment to change it. Other schools have made that commitment and if we wish to be a player in Division 1 athletics we need to make that commitment as well. We have done it a bit here and there in recent year but it is time to go whole hog or forget about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1