Previous 6-Signing Classes

Cooley

Parker and Simon had a recruiting advantage over later UNT coaches in that they could immediately play D1 transfers without them sitting out a year. We will see how UTSA does now that they have to play by the same transfer rules as everyone else.

We were only 1AA Simon's first year. For the rest of his career, he was subject to the same restrictions as all 1A coaches. And I don't recall him getting a big influx of 1A transfers his first year, anyway.

The two Feldt brothers are no longer on team. I remember the Arkansas transfer and I believe I saw him on the 2013 roster. Any news where the younger Feldt brother went to? Their dad is or was the HS Buda coach.

Their father is now the head coach at Odessa Permian, The younger brother is at Texas Tech, Cam probably headed there also.

Someone said that Mac gets too much credit and I have to agree. 2 losing records and a winning season is nothing to jump up and down about. If he goes 5-7 or 6-6 this season it will just solidify his job here was mediocre at best. Good coaches coach and plug in voids and keep going. This upcoming season will be his players it being his 4th year, his philosophy (with his players), with a lot of support being poured into the program. A 6-6 type year will be a head shaking disappointment. The graduation of players is an excuse for losers (not saying Mac has or will say that). Nevertheless, plug your voids with the players you recruited and go win. Simple as that.

• Downvote 3

Someone said that Mac gets too much credit and I have to agree. 2 losing records and a winning season is nothing to jump up and down about. If he goes 5-7 or 6-6 this season it will just solidify his job here was mediocre at best. Good coaches coach and plug in voids and keep going. This upcoming season will be his players it being his 4th year, his philosophy (with his players), with a lot of support being poured into the program. A 6-6 type year will be a head shaking disappointment. The graduation of players is an excuse for losers (not saying Mac has or will say that). Nevertheless, plug your voids with the players you recruited and go win. Simple as that.

I agree that he must go at least 7 and 6, or I will doubt his abilities. Still I am impressed with the difference between the last two seasons.

• Upvote 1

I think the 5-7 year was pretty good coaching. I think the 4-6 year was bad coaching (should have been 6-6). Last year was a mix. Won a couple we were underdogs in and lost a couple we should have won. This year will be the key year to see how this coaching staff really coaches. Lose most of your defense and basically 75% of your offense production and still win 7-8 and you did a good job. Fortunately we have the schedule to do that.

I fear that some are already storing the "look who we had graduate" excuse in their back pocket should things not go well this season.

• Downvote 1

For the love of god, will we ever stop denigrating the accomplishments of our teams from the early 2000s? I don't care what you say about the strength of the opponents, 26 straight conference wins is one of the most impressive North Texas football feats of all time. Just because most of those Sun Belt teams were recent transitions to I-A doesn't mean they were awful. UTSA was transitional this year . . . didn't make for an easy win.

• Upvote 2

I feel that the "coaching" job done by Mac, Chico and the others on his staff has been top notch. I also feel that our coaches make very good use of every ounce of ability in the players we have (or had).

The only question I have with Mac and his staff, has to do with them being able to increase the base talent level and keep it going. They do a great job with what they have. But, can they raise the bar in obtaining talent ?

TD recruited some pretty good players. Mac and his guys made them very good football players, better athletes and better academic students.

• Upvote 3

9-3 is the bar that has been set by me. Anything less I will honestly be disappointed. This gives us room to lose at UT, v. SMU, and at Indiana. I think we will take one of those games so that gives us the leeway lose to a conference opponent, either at Rice or v. FAU in a slip up game (much like 2013 utsa). That is my bar and it has been set. 9-3 with the possibility of playing in the CUSA champ game and a bowl game. So...any where from 9-5 to 11-3 is my expectation. And frankly should be everyone's, including the coaches and teams.

Yeah, those were crappy games and it's ok to doubt. I think the 2014 season is a swing season in perception. Does UNT come out and be competitive and solidify that last season wasn't a fluke? Or do they come out and lay 2-3 eggs and lose the games that we are "expected" to lose. That would put us at about 5-7 or 6-6. After 4 years 3 losing seasons is not acceptable.