Inoke Ngalo possibly wavering from Houston to North Texas

Ben Gooding

???

First of all, the LB position at UNT is not among the top positions in most need. May not be the healthiest position, but we'll be fine with the replacements we have for the moment. Secondly, Jones and SMU "owned" UNT in recruiting? We have a pretty darn nice looking class this year and our coaching staff will develop them nicely. We are certainly doing something right as well.

Well lets see, NT returns one starter at LB and the backups didn't play that much last year either. Akunne is going to be very strong, but behind him: NT has little experience. Scott looks very promising, but Ellis, Marhall and Smith didn't play a whole lot. Redshirt Wallace and Minor, a juco transfer, and two freshmen committed are all unproven at this point.

As far as the SMU comment, it is sad but true.

???

First of all, the LB position at UNT is not among the top positions in most need. May not be the healthiest position, but we'll be fine with the replacements we have for the moment. Secondly, Jones and SMU "owned" UNT in recruiting? We have a pretty darn nice looking class this year and our coaching staff will develop them nicely. We are certainly doing something right as well.

Yes, SMU has owned the series beginning about 6 of our school's name changes ago.  

And no, we weren't competitive with SMU when they were a paid semi-pro 
football team back in the 80's either, but since 1990 (post Death Penalty) 
this is our football series record with SMU:

1990/10/06  North Texas   14  -  SMU            7 W  

The North Texas/SMU game at Apogee this Fall I wish could have been played this last Fall but........it is what it is. The game should make for a fun, intercollegiate Game Day this September 6'th at our pretty little lady of a football stadium.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Yes, SMU has owned the series beginning about 6 of our school's name changes ago.  

And no, we weren't competitive with SMU when they were a paid semi-pro 
football team back in the 80's either, but since 1990 (post Death Penalty) 
this is our football series record with SMU:

1990/10/06  North Texas   14  -  SMU            7 W  

The North Texas/SMU game at Apogee this Fall I wish could have been played this last Fall but........it is what it is. The game should make for a fun, intercollegiate Game Day this September 6'th at our pretty little lady of a football stadium.

GMG!

The statement was about recruiting, not wins and loses.

Even when SMU was at it's lowest; they won the great majority of the recruiting battles with NT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually NT has a lot of questions at LB, far from overstocked at that position.

I would like to know why he thought the SMU visit was far superior to his one at NT.

Jones and SMU have pretty much owned NT on the recruiting front, so they are doing something right.

Large stacks of cash in small envelopes

• Upvote 1

The statement was about recruiting, not wins and loses.

Even when SMU was at it's lowest; they won the great majority of the recruiting battles with NT.

Good grief, man, is SMU's recruiting successes over North Texas a new revelation to you? It's called pecking order for those of us who've seen a few of these college football recruiting rodeos for a few decades now

BUT.............every damn time SMU has all but said: Here you go North Texas, we've screwed the pooch with our athletics program (again) as we now have to take a couple years off from football due to our constant cheating but what did our school do during what should have been a huge window of opportunity to move forward past SMU? You tell me since I can't use cuss words on this forum to tell you what we did or mostly didn't do with some very, very poor leadership in Denton.

Same thing now in basketball. You want a great basketball program? Then go out and buy you one........SMU has with Larry Brown and some deep pockets to coax him out of the rest home to come back and coach basketball again. SMU will be an NCAA Big Dance contestant this winter AND.............will most likely go past the NCAA's first round (which is a feat we've never accomplished). Meanwhile we at North Texas continue with the best damn on-campus basketball facility in the Metroplex which has mostly been one helluva' wind break for the intramural tennis courts most my 4.5 decades as a student/alum.

But what I was very gently trying to point out with the above UNT/SMU all time series W/L records (for those of us who still go by wins over recruiting gold medals) was that sometimes all those blue chip recruiting classes at SMU did not always translate to wins. Since 1990 as the record shows, we've played 4 times and have split the series with 2 wins each. For a school who constantly beats us in recruiting, one might have thought they would have beaten us 4 times rather than a split.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Good grief, man, is SMU's recruiting successes over North Texas a new revelation to you? It's called pecking order for those of us who've seen a few of these college football recruiting rodeos for a few decades now

BUT.............every damn time SMU has all but said: Here you go North Texas, we've screwed the pooch with our athletics program (again) as we now have to take a couple years off from football due to our constant cheating but what did our school do during what should have been a huge window of opportunity to move forward past SMU? You tell me since I can't use cuss words on this forum to tell you what we did or mostly didn't do with some very, very poor leadership in Denton.

Same thing now in basketball. You want a great basketball program? Then go out and buy you one........SMU has with Larry Brown and some deep pockets to coax him out of the rest home to come back and coach basketball again. SMU will be an NCAA Big Dance contestant this winter AND.............will most likely go past the NCAA's first round (which is a feat we've never accomplished). Meanwhile we at North Texas continue with the best damn on-campus basketball facility in the Metroplex which has mostly been one helluva' wind break for the intramural tennis courts most my 4.5 decades as a student/alum.

But what I was very gently trying to point out with the above UNT/SMU all time series W/L records (for those of us who still go by wins over recruiting gold medals) was that sometimes all those blue chip recruiting classes at SMU did not always translate to wins. Since 1990 as the record shows, we've played 4 times and have split the series with 2 wins each. For a school who constantly beats us in recruiting, one might have thought they would have beaten us 4 times rather than a split.

I love when someone argues against an undoubtably true statement. If wins and loses were solely based on recruiting than UT would have been national champion a lot more times. On the record, NT is 4-48-1 against SMU, so winning 2 out of the last 4 is certainly progress even though it was against 6-6 and 1-10 teams.

NT loses recruiting battles to most teams, which is true for almost all teams when recruiting against an university in a higher perceived league. I believe the ACC edge over CUSA is not that great but it still exists and despite SMU's many current woes they have a big advantage over NT.

Right now, NT has to win the majority of recruiting battles with Belt and CUSA teams; and a few ones with the AAC and lower level power conference schools to escalate the program. Catching up with Houston and SMU hopefully will happen later.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love when someone argues against an undoubtably true statement. If wins and loses were solely based on recruiting than UT would have been national champion a lot more times. On the record, NT is 4-48-1 against SMU, so winning 2 out of the last 4 is certainly progress even though it was against 6-6 and 1-10 teams.

NT loses recruiting battles to most teams, which is true for almost all teams when recruiting against an university in a higher perceived league. I believe the ACC edge over CUSA is not that great but it still exists and despite SMU's many current woes they have a big advantage over NT.

Right now, NT has to win the majority of recruiting battles with Belt and CUSA teams; and a few ones with the AAC and lower level power conference schools to escalate the program. Catching up with Houston and SMU hopefully will happen later.

Who's the one arguing here? I made my point and your trying to start a pissing contest over something that you've posted that is no revelation to anyone else except (seemedly) yourself. SMU outrecruits UNT most years is like saying the sun comes up most mornings. Duh?

Change the subject because your SMU recruiting theme is going nowhere. All I said is that since 1990 all those blue chip SMU recruiting classes gave them a 2 game split with North Texas over a total of 4 games and that seems to have made your pants go crazy.

Harry, this still an opinion board?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who's the one arguing here? I made my point and your trying to start a pissing contest over something that you've posted that is no revelation to anyone else except (seemedly) yourself. SMU outrecruits UNT most years is like saying the sun comes up most mornings. Duh?

Change the subject because your SMU recruiting theme is going nowhere. All I said is that since 1990 all those blue chip SMU recruiting classes gave them a 2 game split with North Texas over a total of 4 games and that seems to have made your pants go crazy.

Harry, this still an opinion board?

King of the circular argument. Objects to anyone daring to say that SMU generally owns NT in recruiting but now that is a "duh".

No one is objecting to opinions but you. Not sure about crazy pants and pissing contests, I will leave that up to you.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1