Graphics on the score board.

Andrew

Yes, let's drop the seating capacity of the Super Pit and lose the MASSIVE amount of money UNT makes from being able to hold DOZENS of high school graduations three or four weeks in a row ever year, not to mention all the other events it holds throughout the year that fill it to the brim. Have you ever seen how many friggin people pile in to the Pit for those cheerleading competitions?

We've never sold out Apogee, hell we might as well just tear down the whole student side and the Wing Zone so there are no cheap seats and it seems more full. Or just move back to Fouts.

Less seats in the Super Pit... Seriously one of the most boneheaded things I've ever heard on here. And we had people on here that used to think Shanice would be a good coach.

• Upvote 5

Better basketball needs to be added to the Super Pit, a new coach too. A good lighting system would do wonders in that arena. As in primary lights can be dimmed or turned off and some green spotlights from multiple angles aiming in at the bench during starting lineup call. I like the arenas where the court is ultra bright and the stands are black dark. Looks good in person and on (not that it matters) tv.

Yes, let's drop the seating capacity of the Super Pit and lose the MASSIVE amount of money UNT makes from being able to hold DOZENS of high school graduations three or four weeks in a row ever year, not to mention all the other events it holds throughout the year that fill it to the brim. Have you ever seen how many friggin people pile in to the Pit for those cheerleading competitions?

We've never sold out Apogee, hell we might as well just tear down the whole student side and the Wing Zone so there are no cheap seats and it seems more full. Or just move back to Fouts.

Less seats in the Super Pit... Seriously one of the most boneheaded things I've ever heard on here. And we had people on here that used to think Shanice would be a good coach.

You do realize that proportionally us having a 10K arena is the equivalent of a 50,000 seat stadium, right? But nice non-argument.

Super Pit needs less seats. There's no reason for us to have a stadium larger than just about every mid major except for like UTEP. I don't see us hosting concerts or conventions either. Easily could have suites, LED boards, etc in the spot of the empty bowl.

• Downvote 4

You do realize that proportionally us having a 10K arena is the equivalent of a 50,000 seat stadium, right? But nice non-argument.

Super Pit needs less seats. There's no reason for us to have a stadium larger than just about every mid major except for like UTEP. I don't see us hosting concerts or conventions either. Easily could have suites, LED boards, etc in the spot of the empty bowl.

If the Super Pit were exclusively used by Athletics your call to reduce the number of seats would be heard but it's not and Athletics has little control over certain aspects of the use.
  • Upvote 2

You need a bit of a history lesson regarding the Super Pit...who controls it and why it was built to hold around 10,000. Some here have tried to tell you to no avail, so no sense trying again.

• Upvote 5

You need a bit of a history lesson regarding the Super Pit...who controls it and why it was built to hold around 10,000. Some here have tried to tell you to no avail, so no sense trying again.

No I understand, but what I'm saying is plenty of other schools host cheerleader conventions and graduations with under 10,000. If we are not going to reduce capacity, then the stadium just needs a massive scale renovation.

No I understand, but what I'm saying is plenty of other schools host cheerleader conventions and graduations with under 10,000. If we are not going to reduce capacity, then the stadium just needs a massive scale renovation

UTEP, for example, has the Don Haskins Center which seats 12,000 but is the only major arena in El Paso. Just sold out a NIN concert and often concerts and conventions go there. That makes sense. 10,000, in my mind, doesn't; especially when UTA and SMU are the one hosting events that make money besides cheerleader conventions.

• Upvote 1

The Super Pit is a great venue. I could not care less if it has suites or doesn't feel cozier with less seating.

Sure, it could be better; it was build in the mid-seventies and has never had any major renovations. I like it much better than the McDonalds looking arenas now the vogue.

I would put any major renovations at the SP behind a baseball stadium, indoor practice facility, a center tennis court, track venue, and hopefully a needed Apogee expansion.

• Upvote 5

Even why it first had 10,000 orange seats, too, right Mark? ;)

PLUS..........show biz' extras in the Super Pit?

Where is Charles O. Finley when you need him? LOL! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Finley

The orange seats we put in to provide the best contrast for television. Remember, we're talking about 1970s television. The architect was with a firm in Dallas whose name was Klutz (really his name). The color choice had nothing to do with school affiliation or cost.

I did a tremendous amount of research on this (even spoke with Mr. Klutz) when we put together the Mean Green Seat Renovation group to recover the seats at the Coliseum. We sold subscriptions on a per seat basis to fans and listed their names on a plaque that is still there today near the Gate D entrance (between the restroom and the concession stand).

The seats were removed one or two sections at a time and sent to a company in San Antonio to be recovered. We went through that season with several different sections missing from game to game.

Here's a Super Pit fun fact-There are 5 different width seats at the Coliseum to make the rows fit as the seat numbers taper. The original arm rests were wood. The decision was made during the renovation to add cup holders. Since the seats were designed without cup holders, the "sit-down motion" is a bit restricted as the cup holders are wider than the original wooden arm rests.

The orange seats were not left overs from the Super Drum in Austin as the UT Coliseum was built after the Super Pit. And the orange seats were not a tribute to then University President C. C. "Jitter" Nolan's school UT.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4