MGB: Quinn makes Olympic team

Brett Vito

Great news, I was checking the other day and only 2 countries had slated their bobsled ("bobsleigh") athletes.

Oh, and UNT has had a few Olympians over the years but I think we've only had one medalist, she's in the UNT HOF, I think she was track and field...javelin maybe? I want to say it was in the 70s or 80s.

And there was the javelin guy that got a bronze in 72 it think. He also was the gatorade guy when the first gatorade bath happened, and signed MIchael Jordan to the gatorade deal. Bill Shmidt I believe was him name, buy I could be wrong on the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Schmidt

In 1966 he was a walkon track and field athlete at North Texas State University (later named University of North Texas) in Denton, TX. He later earned a full scholarship, throwing the javelin. His sophomore year his best throw was 219'2", his junior year 253'1" and his senior year 280'7". He earned All American honors and placed second at the NCAA Championships in 1970 at Des Moines, IA. He was also named track captain his senior year. He graduated in August, 1970 with a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree with a major in Business and minors in Psychology and Personnel Management. He competed in the World University Games in Turin, Italy in September 1970.

• Upvote 2

Denton native Jordan Malone also made the US team as a multi event speed skater.

Maybe NT should add bob sled and speed skating to our list of sports.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

I know several of us have mentioned it in the past, we need Women's Gymnastics. WOGA is in Plano and still turning out world class gymnasts.