Hope we can do better next week

GreenBat

Darn! There's a D&B in Frisco, but it's about 30 miles away. If it wasn't for the lake being in the way, it might be just about 25.

But there's a "Main Event" in Lewisville - maybe he likes bowling?

• Upvote 1

I find something odd about adults following teenage boys on Twitter....I know, I know...recruiting and all that, but it just seems odd to me and maybe a tad creepy. These are teenagers, do we not have anything better to do than discuss some kid's tweet?

Not ragging on anyone as I know it is a source of recruiting info...but often, as we have found, it is just some kid being a kid and has no real significant meaning to anyone other than the kid.

Oh, well...signing day coming up soon. Let the Tweets flow....

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

I find something odd about adults following teenage boys on Twitter....I know, I know...recruiting and all that, but it just seems odd to me and maybe a tad creepy. These are teenagers, do we not have anything better to do than discuss some kid's tweet?

Not ragging on anyone as I know it is a source of recruiting info...but often, as we have found, it is just some kid being a kid and has no real significant meaning to anyone other than the kid.

Wow I agree with Kram for once!

But yea, a bit weird to me as well.

• Upvote 1

In that spirit, isn't it also creepy that we pay and spend so much time watching these same young men run around and bump into each other? And isn't it kind of odd and weird to take the time to post and read messages on a college football message board?

I like football. I probably should be spending my free time studying the Bible or learning a foreign language, but instead I spend a lot of time watching football, reading about football, following recruiting, etc. And if I can get an insight into a stud recruit's college decision by following his Twitter, I will do that.

And since I do that, I know that while Xavier Washington spent his evening at Dave & Busters on a recruiting trip to Houston, Tee Goree spent part of his UNT recruiting trip at a party at The Forums (Apartment 7102). Which school's recruits probably had a better time?

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In that spirit, isn't it also creepy that we pay and spend so much time watching these same young men run around and bump into each other? And isn't it kind of odd and weird to take the time to post and read messages on a college football message board?

I like football. I probably should be spending my free time studying the Bible or learning a foreign language, but instead I spend a lot of time watching football, reading about football, following recruiting, etc. And if I can get an insight into a stud recruit's college decision by following his Twitter, I will do that.

No...big difference between watching and enjoying college football and Twitter. To even think there is a similariarity is telling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

So reading about a recruit coming to UNT in The Dallas Morning News is perfectly legit, but reading about the same recruit coming to UNT on Twitter is creepy? That is not logical. Come join us in 2014. I saved a seat for you.

Ok....enjoy "following" a bunch of teenage boys. Welcome to 2014. Different strokes for different folks I get it.

I find it creepy...you don't...like I said...OK. Why you seem to want to make a big deal out of it is beyond me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

KRAM1, I use twitter for information on a lot of things. Recruiting just happens to be one of them.

GreenBat...like I have tried to say...OK. Lots of folks do, and I find nothing wrong with Twitter in general ... I just find following young boys and/or girls on it sort of creepy. Plus...what people tend to Tweet is often just an ego thing...especially for adolescents. It's like Facebook where people let you know they have checked in at this place or that...who the heck cares? Lots of "who cares" stuff.

Anyway...no biggie, like I've said...I keep being told this is an opinion board..it's my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Man how times have changed. I remember having to wait to open the Thursday morning paper (Dallas Morning News) or Thursday afternoon's Dallas Times Herald to learn who signed with North Texas State the previous day.

Occasionally, a few prospects would tell the paper ahead of time but 90% of the signees were not known until the following day.

On the actual signing day, I would listen to Max Emfinger on the evening sports radio shows but they barely covered North Texas.

Their were no Rivals, Scouts or ESPN reports to review. Of course there was no internet or even personal computers. The coaches had to actually go to the homes or schools to get the kids signitures. (Faxes were not around)

There were no Hudl or You tube video. You either had to have seen the kids in person or wait till the fall to determine if they could play.

Don't know if this is intrusion today with Twitter and Facebook but it was kind of fun being surprised with the class.

• Upvote 1

Man how times have changed. I remember having to wait to open the Thursday morning paper (Dallas Morning News) or Thursday afternoon's Dallas Times Herald to learn who signed with North Texas State the previous day.

Occasionally, a few prospects would tell the paper ahead of time but 90% of the signees were not known until the following day.

On the actual signing day, I would listen to Max Emfinger on the evening sports radio shows but they barely covered North Texas.

Their were no Rivals, Scouts or ESPN reports to review. Of course there was no internet or even personal computers. The coaches had to actually go to the homes or schools to get the kids signitures. (Faxes were not around)

There were no Hudl or You tube video. You either had to have seen the kids in person or wait till the fall to determine if they could play.

Don't know if this is intrusion today with Twitter and Facebook but it was kind of fun being surprised with the class.

Funny, but I recall it too...those were the days when people actually talked to people and friends were people you actually knew on a first name and close basis...and actually interacted with them live and in person. Imagine actually having a meal with someone and actually having a conversation...without being interrupted by a cell phone or text? How strange, right? Ha!

• Downvote 1