Canales finalist for Sam Houston HC Job?

kakat10

I think you can be very secure in your knowledge that DD will not be joining this staff. Certainly not while RV is AD.

Why would a coach that was the head coach of a program ever come back to a program in a lesser position.

Why would a coach that was the head coach of a program ever come back to a program in a lesser position.

It happens, usually when an alum has been head coach. Luke Fickell comes to mind. And I'm not sure that OC at North Texas now is a lesser position than HC then, considering where the program was when DD left and where it is now. But he burned too many bridges for him ever to think about coming back to North Texas in any capacity, even if RV were gone.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Coach C if he gets the HC job. It will be a well-deserved opportunity for him. I figure this will be a win-win for UNT. If Coach C stays, nothing changes and we move on into the offseason. If Coach C goes, it'll bring an opportunity to bring in an OC who has had further experience with a big school program, a new set of eyes to collaborate with player talent in the offseason, and a different kind of intensity to the team. I think Coach Mac is ahead of the game with finding a successor or a plan "B" OC. I'm really interested who is on his radar checklist.

• Upvote 2

He served in that role when Chico was the interim HC and did a very good job in my estimation. I believe he has served in that capacity at La Tech in the past.

I recall. Do you remember UNT's football budget back then (I believe coach Hines was making less than $100k)?

Coach Hines was a fantastic overachiever while here, but if coach Canales leaves, I think we can do better than bringing coach Hines back.

Oh, I don't think Hines should be a shoe in for the job, but he does have great experience, has a connection to Denton and should get a look. Here's his experience:

92-93: GA @ La Tech

94-98: TE's @ La Tech

99-00: WR's @ La Tech

01-06: OC/WR's @ La Tech

He coached WR's under Canales and then became the interim OC when Canales briefly replaced Dodge.

He now coaches at Ryan High. It appears he wasn't a strong recruiter, based on La Tech fan's comments, but was strong with the players once on campus. I think we need someone strong in both areas. Let's go get Norv Turner.

I've got an extensive playbook from NCAA 14. I'd have this offense humming a fine tune as we marched all over our opponents.

Just saying as a fall back option if Coach Chico sets off for greener pastures.

300 yards per game rushing

275 yards per game passing

I rack up 500-600 yards of offense out of the I, Strong, Weak, and Shotgun. I'm qualified :P

I would think that Mac was given a heads up and is already on the trail of a replacement if the need arises.

99.9% not true. Was he contacted about it? That isn't. Important. Did he choose UNT over this... Signs point to yes.

Canales is here to see this UNT fully turn around. He isn't going to Sam Houston. Stop the rumors here

Well, for me personally this is great news. Love having Coach Canales at UNT...great guy...great coach.

That being said...if he wants it....I really hope he gets a HC gig. Love what he did as interim here between Dodge and Mac. This guy can coach, and will make some university a great HC when the right position at the right time is offered.

• Upvote 3

You know who Coach Mac would consider his ideal OC if Coach Canales were to leave (and please God don't let that happen)? ....DD!...... :(

I can see them now shouting in unison...."run the rock...run the rock". They'll install the draw play and call it their trick play.

DAMN! I have a sick mind............ :(

I choked from laughing...thanks.

Does vodka go well with Diet Coke?

If so, can we assume that someone else would be returning to the staff as well?

SHSU is a pretty great FCS program if Canales wanted to go that direction to build his resume. But even if he wants a HC position, wouldn't he likely be looking at what could happen if the next season or two is great here? I would think if he's already getting looks, he might have a shot at a Go5 school, probably in the MWC, SBC or CUSA after another solid season or two with us. I assume he's probably considered all of these factors if he's getting looks from the UABs and SHSUs now.

• Upvote 1

I rack up 500-600 yards of offense out of the I, Strong, Weak, and Shotgun. I'm qualified :P

I would think that Mac was given a heads up and is already on the trail of a replacement if the need arises.

Well, I can get the corner of the football barely over the edge of the table with EVERY shot!

• Upvote 1

Hines is still an assistant at Denton Ryan for now. Supposedly early next week is when Joey Florence will decide if he will remain as the head coach at Ryan or take over as the AD for Denton ISD. No clue who J. Flo would end up hiring to take the helm of the powerhouse program he created.

• Upvote 1