SMU fan: Do we have to drop UNT?

Harry

Let's not forget the "bigger than football" issue that is good about this. The more money the DFW teams keep in the region (and bring in from their visitors), the more it helps the region in jobs to roads and everything in between. So while it would be great if we had huge visiting contingents from other schools buying tickets and spending money in the Metroplex, there's still a greater benefit from keeping the cash close to home than if it was being spent in another state, or not at all. The more we spend our "away" money close to home, and also bring in more "home" money (this is why more home games will be beneficial as attendance and visiting fans increase), the better it is for the regional economy and though a chunk of it benefits whichever school is at home that year, there will still be a portion that helps everyone in the region. Not a huge influx in a single occurrence, but the more you keep your spending close to home the more it helps you and your neighbors.

I'll stop before somebody says I'm turning it into a political thread but the cash flow, including both where it is spent and where the taxes go, is pretty easy to follow. That's a big reason I always hope for a big turnout and lots of travel money spent on things like sports wherever I live. Spend your own money nearby and get others to bring their spending to you, and in great enough numbers with considerable recurrence, the benefit to your local economy including infrastructure and schools will be very noticeable.

Let's not forget the "bigger than football" issue that is good about this. The more money the DFW teams keep in the region (and bring in from their visitors), the more it helps the region in jobs to roads and everything in between. So while it would be great if we had huge visiting contingents from other schools buying tickets and spending money in the Metroplex, there's still a greater benefit from keeping the cash close to home than if it was being spent in another state, or not at all. The more we spend our "away" money close to home, and also bring in more "home" money (this is why more home games will be beneficial as attendance and visiting fans increase), the better it is for the regional economy and though a chunk of it benefits whichever school is at home that year, there will still be a portion that helps everyone in the region. Not a huge influx in a single occurrence, but the more you keep your spending close to home the more it helps you and your neighbors.

I'll stop before somebody says I'm turning it into a political thread but the cash flow, including both where it is spent and where the taxes go, is pretty easy to follow. That's a big reason I always hope for a big turnout and lots of travel money spent on things like sports wherever I live. Spend your own money nearby and get others to bring their spending to you, and in great enough numbers with considerable recurrence, the benefit to your local economy including infrastructure and schools will be very noticeable.

Something tells me that the economic benefits will be slanted heavily toward the Highland Park area.

SMU will bring less than that craphole in San Antone to Denton.

The SMU/NT series happened for two reasons. NT brought a lot of people to Ford and SMU at the time thought NT was about as easy a win as they could schedule.

I believe SMU will play at least the first two games, but if NT wins; I would not be at all surprised if SMU finds a rationale to end the series.

On another note, SMU will be tough to beat. NT could have beaten them this year, but next year they should be better and NT has a lot of holes to fill.

The SMU/NT series happened for two reasons. NT brought a lot of people to Ford and SMU at the time thought NT was about as easy a win as they could schedule.

I believe SMU will play at least the first two games, but if NT wins; I would not be at all surprised if SMU finds a rationale to end the series.

On another note, SMU will be tough to beat. NT could have beaten them this year, but next year they should be better and NT has a lot of holes to fill.

Doubtful on SMU being hard to beat. We have holes...but they have more.

Hate to break the news to you but the majority of those students are not what you perceive them to be. I saw those same people at NT when I was in school as well. Every school have their douches.

The % is MUCH higher at SMU. I live and work near all of them in HP.

On another note, SMU will be tough to beat. but next year they should be better and NT has a lot of holes to fill.

No. That program is going down...fast.

This. When I lived in the Village, I went to grab some tailgating supplies at the Tom Thumb on Lovers on my way up for the Rice game a few years ago. A couple of $mut fans walked past me and one made some douchy comment about us losing and getting our asses handed to us. Talking $chitt to me when we weren't even playing them. I didn't say anything to him, but his friend tell him that we were probably going to win that game, in a correcting manner. Unfortunately, that's the game the injury bug started attacking us, so we did lose, but it was a doucher move to just start talking trash.

And I do a lot of work related to TCU alumni and their kids. Trust fund baby is in no way a metaphor. They really do set up trusts the day each kid is born. Those kids are independently wealthy before they can even speak their own names.

Ever prone to exaggeration or hyperbole? Not questioning that you work with a lot of these wealthy folks at all. There are many many wealthy folk in the DFW area, and maybe a surprise to some here, not all are TCU or SMU grads...and not all, in any way, are SMU and TCU grads wealthy from birth. One will find wealthy families sending kids to lots of different private schools for one reason or another, but also to many public institutions...dare I even say UNT?

Stereotyping every student at TCU or SMU as "independently wealthy" is really going a bit far. I know several SMU and TCU grads and have worked with lots during my 40plus career in financial services. Yes, a couple were pretty darn well off from a family standpoint, but the majority were just like the rest of us, and pretty darn nice folks. Even have a couple of TCU grad relatives...hardly "trust babies" or independently wealthy and none had trust funds set up for them at birth. Grew up in Dallas next door to an SMU grad who was a controller for one of the Hunt companies...yep, SMU grad...great guy...1400 square foot house! Hardly a trust fund baby.

In working with the Private Wealth Management Group at Citicorp (SmithBarney) at the time, I worked with quite a few extremely rich people...had to have a min. of $25,000,000 net with with at least $5,000,000 liquid before our group could work with you. I think many here might be surprised just how many of those folks in this area WERE NOT SMU or TCU grads compared to a few that were. Each had a different story and a different background. While some certainly fit the "inherited rich" stereotype of privilege, the majority were self-made "rich" starting and building their own businesses or were hardworking business folks who claimed the corporate ladder. One, in fact, was a McDonald lady executive who started as a burger flipper in a local Mickey D's as she had to work to help pay her public university tuition. No trust baby this lady...and not a TCU or SMU grad either.

Learned a lot from these people, and was always shocked by the challenges that many had in trying to deal with their wealth. Challenges I had never thought would be there and which I came away happy that I did not have to personally deal with.

It really is all about attitude and how one chooses to "see" and react to the world around them. Fun stuff sometimes, right Oldguy, in working with these folks...other times not so much.

• Upvote 2

Ever prone to exaggeration or hyperbole? Not questioning that you work with a lot of these wealthy folks at all. There are many many wealthy folk in the DFW area, and maybe a surprise to some here, not all are TCU or SMU grads...and not all, in any way, are SMU and TCU grads wealthy from birth. One will find wealthy families sending kids to lots of different private schools for one reason or another, but also to many public institutions...dare I even say UNT?

Stereotyping every student at TCU or SMU as "independently wealthy" is really going a bit far. I know several SMU and TCU grads and have worked with lots during my 40plus career in financial services. Yes, a couple were pretty darn well off from a family standpoint, but the majority were just like the rest of us, and pretty darn nice folks. Even have a couple of TCU grad relatives...hardly "trust babies" or independently wealthy and none had trust funds set up for them at birth. Grew up in Dallas next door to an SMU grad who was a controller for one of the Hunt companies...yep, SMU grad...great guy...1400 square foot house! Hardly a trust fund baby.

In working with the Private Wealth Management Group at Citicorp (SmithBarney) at the time, I worked with quite a few extremely rich people...had to have a min. of $25,000,000 net with with at least $5,000,000 liquid before our group could work with you. I think many here might be surprised just how many of those folks in this area WERE NOT SMU or TCU grads compared to a few that were. Each had a different story and a different background. While some certainly fit the "inherited rich" stereotype of privilege, the majority were self-made "rich" starting and building their own businesses or were hardworking business folks who claimed the corporate ladder. One, in fact, was a McDonald lady executive who started as a burger flipper in a local Mickey D's as she had to work to help pay her public university tuition. No trust baby this lady...and not a TCU or SMU grad either.

Learned a lot from these people, and was always shocked by the challenges that many had in trying to deal with their wealth. Challenges I had never thought would be there and which I came away happy that I did not have to personally deal with.

It really is all about attitude and how one chooses to "see" and react to the world around them. Fun stuff sometimes, right Oldguy, in working with these folks...other times not so much.

I just gained a whole morning in my weekend. Got my Sunday sermon in on Saturday

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

OK .... but have yet to meet SMU alum I like... only Texas univ. I can say that about...

If you have yet to meet an SMU alum you like in your life then don't you think there is a much bigger problem here than the SMU person? It seems rather silly to think you've never met a nice SMU person and normal person like the rest of society.

Fair enough...I've had run-ins with SMU people my whole life and for the most part they were all great and normal people. Hard workers like the rest of us that worked their ass off and were far from being "loaded" or "trust fund babies". I don't doubt there are SMU douches but NT had their fair of ones too that I ran into. Douches are everywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just gained a whole morning in my weekend. Got my Sunday sermon in on Saturday

Surprised you even tried to understand the message. As Green Mean said..."there are douches" everywhere. Neither SMU nor TCU have a corner on that market.

Some of the comments here regarding both SMU and TCU smack of pure jealousy and/or insecurity on the part of the poster.

Can I get an Amen?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I definitely have a limited scope to work with, but my one and only SMU friend got a BLaw degree from there, and his full time job is managing his family's trust. Totally cool guy, and he was born into that but he likes art and cooking and things along those lines. So again, my experience is very limited, but even if somebody comes from that kind of wealth doesn't make them a trust fund douche. The content of one's character and the sum of their actions is a far greater determinant of their value than are the circumstances of their birth.

• Upvote 1

Notice the control freak aspect of "Do We Have To Drop UNT?"

Would there be many, many new cases of Turret Syndrome-like nervous ticks over off Mockingbird Lane if UNT actually dropped SMU off our schedule?

I think both schools should tee it up and have thought that since 1973.

Granted, SMU (like TCU) would never play us during the Abner Haynes (50's), Mean Joe Greene (60's) and much of the Fry era (70's) because of what the obvious results would have been in our favor in the all time series W/L department, but that kind of thing would have only made such a local series make even more sense (and cents).

Past athletic directors at SMU and TCU have always very wisely picked the eras that they would schedule North Texas and that much to our chagrin.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Every SMU person I've ever met is incredibly arrogant, drove a $60,000 car to school, buys their friends, and are generally the type of people who hang out at Public House or The Garage, made famous for their "statutory grape" drink. They usually end up overeducated and under employed, or working for their daddy/daddy's company. Unless you're referring to their MBA program, SMU is a school for people who couldn't get into TCU or Rice but have the money. Personally, I'd never go to a school with a religious affiliation, anyway. I mean, I knew four people who went to SMU from my high school. All were patented pink-polo wearing, lifted F150 or Corvette driving alcoholics that barely graduated.

I have no respect for SMU or anything that hellhole stands for. I'd rather go to TCC.

Call me jealous all you like...let's just say, I'm in no way jealous. I could've gone to SMU if I so chose.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3

Surprised you even tried to understand the message. As Green Mean said..."there are douches" everywhere. Neither SMU nor TCU have a corner on that market.

Some of the comments here regarding both SMU and TCU smack of pure jealousy and/or insecurity on the part of the poster.

Can I get an Amen?

I do agree with you on your general point. There are very few SMU people I've come across that I've actually had a problem with and most seem like good people, The same goes for North Texas grads and TCU grads and so on and so forth. However, message board trash talking is a completely different issue and should not be taken as a mirror image of peoples feelings in real life. I think it's silly to say that the smack talk is a product of jealousy or insecurity...it's just smack talk. Message boards just aren't that important and are hardly ever a legitimate reflection of reality with things like this.

Every SMU person I've ever met is incredibly arrogant, drove a $60,000 car to school, buys their friends, and are generally the type of people who hang out at Public House or The Garage, made famous for their "statutory grape" drink. They usually end up overeducated and under employed, or working for their daddy/daddy's company. Unless you're referring to their MBA program, SMU is a school for people who couldn't get into TCU or Rice but have the money. Personally, I'd never go to a school with a religious affiliation, anyway. I mean, I knew four people who went to SMU from my high school. All were patented pink-polo wearing, lifted F150 or Corvette driving alcoholics that barely graduated.

I have no respect for SMU or anything that hellhole stands for. I'd rather go to TCC.

Call me jealous all you like...let's just say, I'm in no way jealous. I could've gone to SMU if I so chose.

I'm friends with some SMU alumni. Good people. There are douches at UNT as well. Everywhere for that matter. I'd be thrilled if my girls went to SMU, TCU, UNT, Texas, ect. Just not A&M. Please. No A&M. But I'd rather them never grow up and live at home forever too.

There's no reason to drop us at this point. We have had one good season then graduated 22 seniors at key positions. The future of our program is very unsure. I hope we continue our current success and become a power, but it is up in the air at this point. No reason for them to fear us yet....

4 people is quite the sample, eh?

News flash folks. Good people go to college at every single Texas university. Trying to stoke up rivalry juices with "everyone at SMU is a D-bag" is just plain dumb. If you really believe this way, I'm sure you will soon be poisoning a grove of trees somewhere in the name of UNT.

I've worked with quite a few SMU grads. Ones that have gone "all the way" in their college education. Good and bad in that group, just like any group.

But keep on trying to stoke a rivalry that no one cares about, especially at SMU.

I guess some are just insistent on being the Tech to SMU's A&M. Good luck with that.

• Upvote 1

They fear us because of what we could and should become, a large public university in their backyard finally with a successful athletic program that wakes up the Metroplex and our huge alumni base. They fear that we will eventually overshadow them.

• Upvote 1