UNT Received Top 25 Votes

Eagle915

That's a raise in my book! An added bonus to a stellar season. Maybe if we beat a Charlie Strong UT team next season we would actually get more consideration as a top 25 category but I'm happy with just getting some recognition through a couple of votes. I'm just proud of this past season and looking forward to building that momentum into next season.

Back on November 9th I posted this question.

Can UNT get at least 1 vote in the polls by the end of the year?

That is not a ranking, just a little nod of respect.

Call me optimistic, but the 21-21 tie in the 2nd half of the Georgia game got us noticed.

Voters remember stuff like that when you have a good record to go with it.

New question for January 2014 (not a prediction):

What would happen if we opened next season with a win over Texas?

We would get ranked, the media would go nuts, and UT fans and their new HC would have the shortest honeymoon in recorded history.

• Upvote 1

I disagree that would get us ranked. I think if we beat UT they would spin it as new coach system garbage. I do think it would be awesome to beat them but I am not sure it would get the attention (for UNT) that it would get for negative attention on UT. Just my 2 cents.

Here are the outcomes of Others receiving votes Bowl games. There are 5 Bowl losers on here all received more votes than NT, including Texas (a 23-point loser) and Miami (a 27-point loser). Let's be proud of the team, but keep it in check.
Others receiving votes:
Washington 67, defeated BYU, 31-16
Fresno State 54, Lost to USC, 45-20
Northern Illinois 21, Lost to Utah State, 21-14
Marshall 17, defeated Maryland, 31-20
Texas Tech 13, defeated Arizona State, 37-23
Kansas State 11, defeated Michigan, 31-14
Ole Miss 7, defeated Ga. Tech, 25-17
Texas 4, Lost to Oregon 30-7
Miami (FL) 4, Lost to Louisville, 36-9
Cincinnati 3, Lost to North Carolina, 39-17
East Carolina 3, defeated Ohio, 37-20
Arizona 2, defeated Boston College, 42-19
North Texas 2, defeated UNLV, 36-14
Utah State 2, defeated Northern Illinois, 21-14
Navy 1, defeated Middle Tennessee, 24-6
Louisiana-Lafayette 1, defeated Tulane, 24-21

Back on November 9th I posted this question.

Can UNT get at least 1 vote in the polls by the end of the year?

That is not a ranking, just a little nod of respect.

Call me optimistic, but the 21-21 tie in the 2nd half of the Georgia game got us noticed.

Voters remember stuff like that when you have a good record to go with it.

New question for January 2014 (not a prediction):

What would happen if we opened next season with a win over Texas?

We would get ranked, the media would go nuts, and UT fans and their new HC would have the shortest honeymoon in recorded history.

I don't think it would get us ranked, but I think it would get us votes. If somehow or another we were still undefeated after playing Indiana, I could definitely see us a ranked team.

That's putting the cart way before the horse, but these things seem much closer to reality than they did a year ago.

• Upvote 1

Here are the outcomes of Others receiving votes Bowl games. There are 5 Bowl losers on here all received more votes than NT, including Texas (a 23-point loser) and Miami (a 27-point loser). Let's be proud of the team, but keep it in check.
Others receiving votes:
Washington 67, defeated BYU, 31-16
Fresno State 54, Lost to USC, 45-20
Northern Illinois 21, Lost to Utah State, 21-14
Marshall 17, defeated Maryland, 31-20
Texas Tech 13, defeated Arizona State, 37-23
Kansas State 11, defeated Michigan, 31-14
Ole Miss 7, defeated Ga. Tech, 25-17
Texas 4, Lost to Oregon 30-7
Miami (FL) 4, Lost to Louisville, 36-9
Cincinnati 3, Lost to North Carolina, 39-17
East Carolina 3, defeated Ohio, 37-20
Arizona 2, defeated Boston College, 42-19
North Texas 2, defeated UNLV, 36-14
Utah State 2, defeated Northern Illinois, 21-14
Navy 1, defeated Middle Tennessee, 24-6
Louisiana-Lafayette 1, defeated Tulane, 24-21

I'm really not sure what your point is. That's not terrible company right there. You do realize that this is something that hasn't happened since 2002, right?

• Upvote 2

In no way trying to convince you to vote for FCS in FBS polls, but stringent academics? P'shaw. Maybe at Stanford, Duke, and Rice. Don't know who I was listening to on radio highlights this morning, but dude could barely string three words together. You can't convince me that the guy is a Rhodes Scholar. Hell, you can't convince me the guy can put together a simple five paragraph essay.

Seems to me that it's the smaller programs (like UNT) where the student athletes pay attentions to BOTH words in that title. Get up in the semi-pros and they're getting academically coddled in manufactured online courses that a lab rat of below average cognitive ability could pass.

I actually stand firm that I'd rather give my money to a program like UNT who produces the Derek Thompsons and Brandon McCoys, guys who take their education seriously, over giving it to a semi-pro team who sells t-shirts in Kroger.

CNN analysis: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores

CNN analysis: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores

That is terrible. They were just passed in high school to keep them on the field and now get the same treatment in some colleges. Except most will not have a pro career and won't be able to function in society.

I'm alway impressed with the one's like Louis Sylva, a family friend, who played tight end for NT in the early 90s. He played for his full eligibility and graduated with an MBA in accounting with an impressive GPA.

I feel sorry for the one's like in the article. What was Vince Young's Wonderlick score? About 8? Now look at him.