Mac on the Ticket right now

UNT90

Good talk over many of the same points he always covers. I think it was Radigan who told Mac everyone but Radigan that works at the ticket graduated from UNT and were thankful for what he had done.

After Mac off the air, about 2 to 3 more minutes of UNT talk highlighting Apogee with one of the guys pleading with UNT alums to buy tickets and go to the HOD bowl.

Good pub.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Great pub but isn't it funny how they can turn a positive energy filling speech/Q&A session by Mac into a Debbie downer by talking about our apathetic alum, apathetic Denton and inability to sell out Apogee. Facts are facts and WE must change that. It just seemed weird after Coaches infectious passionate session.

This spring we must start the Hit 32 Campaign, preferably the SMU game.

GMG

Great pub but isn't it funny how they can turn a positive energy filling speech/Q&A session by Mac into a Debbie downer by talking about our apathetic alum, apathetic Denton and inability to sell out Apogee. Facts are facts and WE must change that. It just seemed weird after Coaches infectious passionate session.

GMG

I took it as a passionate grad preaching to alums that they need to step the F up, which they do.

• Upvote 1

GMG

First of all, consider the cynics on KTCK 1310 The Ticket before we start really caring what they have to say about our school. 8'th grade locker room humor is their specialty and apparently it works with certain demographics with the ratings they get each quarter.

North Texas will be the whipping post for Dallas and its front-running pro-oriented media until we prove to them that we are more than just a flash in the pan. That has been our history, folks, and who could deny it?

We all believe now that we have the man who will turn the football part of all this around but nonetheless it must be turned around for us to convert the DFW sports media. They are as fickle and unimpressed as most of our 200,000 DFW area UNT alums.

SMU and TCU would not have faired any better than UNT if they'd had the last 30 years we've had. Both of those schools (especially TCU) hired themselves out of having such a long, fruitless walk in the NCAA wilderness while North Texas tried to turn head football coaches from a couple of Texas high schools into the next Knute Rockne--both of those hires cost us dearly. When we weren't hiring Texas HS coaches we would then be on a non-stop journey of hiring college assistant coaches of which not one since 1981 left Denton anywhere close to .500 in personal career wins/losses. That is the 30 plus year history at UNT which has earned us mostly no respect from the local and regional sports media. We did all that on our own, fellow alums.

This year could have been a dramatic turnaround wit h some of the other local media, though. Even some of the DFW newspaper media along with 1/2 of the Dallas Cowboys Radio Network all showing up at Apogee for their first offical visits to our football palace was quite special and then.............the very upbeat comments they made about UNT, Coach McCarney and this Fall's edition of our football team all on the Mean Green Radio Network I thought was quite eye-opening and maybe the start of something good with that sector of the media.

Quite frankly, I think we'd all agree our attendance and alum support is nowhere close to where it can be, but some might consider it a small miracle that we've kept the fans we have. Coach DMac so admirably (and understandably for his team) wants attendance solved today. After all, he has in his past as a Big 12 HFC been used to sellouts in stadiums with 4 foot snow drifts piled high on a Big 12 school in Iowa's sideline.

Most all of us feel many good things can happen in Denton if we take care of (O gosh, here we go) the 2 things that moves most NCAA FBS programs upward and forward and many times to better conference locales and those are:

(1) a good season ticket sales base like ODU and UTSA have in so short a time and

(2) large groups marketing designed to fill a 31K seat football stadium every Game Day. FWIW, most my life as a UNT alum we have pretty well ignored both (1) and (2) almost acting as there are no problems with either. C-USA membership I feel now is going to hold some feet to the fire to get started in solving both. If we don't solve both--we will stand still which in today's NCAA FBS level is the same thing as going backwards.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

First of all, consider the cynics on KTCK 1310 The Ticket before we start really caring what they have to say about our school. 8'th grade locker room humor is their specialty and apparently it works with certain demographics with the ratings they get each quarter.

North Texas will be the whipping post for Dallas and its front-running pro-oriented media until we prove to them that we are more than just a flash in the pan. That has been our history, folks, and who could deny it?

We all believe now that we have the man who will turn the football part of all this around but nonetheless it must be turned around for us to convert the DFW sports media. They are as fickle and unimpressed as most of our 200,000 DFW area UNT alums.

SMU and TCU would not have faired any better than UNT if they'd had the last 30 years we've had. Both of those schools (especially TCU) hired themselves out of having such a long, fruitless walk in the NCAA wilderness while North Texas tried to turn head football coaches from a couple of Texas high schools into the next Knute Rockne--both of those hires cost us dearly. When we weren't hiring Texas HS coaches we would then be on a non-stop journey of hiring college assistant coaches of which not one since 1981 left Denton anywhere close to .500 in personal career wins/losses. That is the 30 plus year history at UNT which has earned us mostly no respect from the local and regional sports media. We did all that on our own, fellow alums.

This year could have been a dramatic turnaround wit h some of the other local media, though. Even some of the DFW newspaper media along with 1/2 of the Dallas Cowboys Radio Network all showing up at Apogee for their first offical visits to our football palace was quite special and then.............the very upbeat comments they made about UNT, Coach McCarney and this Fall's edition of our football team all on the Mean Green Radio Network I thought was quite eye-opening and maybe the start of something good with that sector of the media.

Quite frankly, I think we'd all agree our attendance and alum support is nowhere close to where it can be, but some might consider it a small miracle that we've kept the fans we have. Coach DMac so admirably (and understandably for his team) wants attendance solved today. After all, he has in his past as a Big 12 HFC been used to sellouts in stadiums with 4 foot snow drifts piled high on a Big 12 school in Iowa's sideline.

Most all of us feel many good things can happen in Denton if we take care of (O gosh, here we go) the 2 things that moves most NCAA FBS programs upward and forward and many times to better conference locales and those are:

(1) a good season ticket sales base like ODU and UTSA have in so short a time and

(2) large groups marketing designed to fill a 31K seat football stadium every Game Day. FWIW, most my life as a UNT alum we have pretty well ignored both (1) and (2) almost acting as there are no problems with either. C-USA membership I feel now is going to hold some feet to the fire to get started in solving both. If we don't solve both--we will stand still which in today's NCAA FBS level is the same thing as going backwards.

GMG!

I only read the first 2 paragraphs, but that was far enough to realize that you didn't hear the interview or talk after.

The Ticket is airing a one hour special devoted to the Mean Green, for cripes sake! Any other media outlet doing that for us?

And you didn't hear Rhags say that every alumni that works at the ticket is walking around the station with their chest puffed up with Mean Green pride doing the Mean Green chest bump.

Sometimes the inferiority complex of this fandom is utterly amazing.

• Upvote 5

GMG

Like I have said many times....as a fan base UNT must learn how to win as well as our teams needing to learn how to win. Right now our fan base is apathetic and we have not been able to sell out Apogee...much less have consistently decent crowds. The need "to learn how to win" includes our student population as well. Lots of growing needed in the fan base. It will come, it will come, but there is still a good bit of learning and growing to do. HOD bowl attendance would be a great place to take the next step forward in the process.

See you there!

• Upvote 1

Actually, I heard the entire interview, but I'm not basing most of what I said in my post on one interview on the mighty 1310....a station which by the way SMU bought out from right underneath us. All that happening after North Texas football and basketball radio coverage on 1310 helped that (then) AM station with what many have said was a very successfully launch its inaugural year of 1994. That action by SMU hardly made any of us who were around feel superior. :) Many of us did feel a bit less superior when that happened to our school in 1994--but infuriated might be the better word. I know others who were just as infuriated but its back to the old adage and to today's version of the Golden Rule: He who has the gold rules? SMU will rub it in on UNT when they can (even though some of you on this board give them a pass at every turn on that very idea). Seems there are numerous passes when it comes to other things concerning North Texas athletics thru the years and even past decades.

Takes A Village To Raise One Who Would Learn To Post Less Than 2 Paragraphs To Make A Few Points: :shocking: How about the last 40 years in this DFW sports market as my main barometer of what I posted in the last epistle? Of course, one would have to go beyond what I suppose is their personal pay scale of reading beyond 2 paragraphs to try to understand the full intent of an entire post consisting of more than 2 paragraphs.

You can't judge a book by its cover or its first 2 paragraphs can you? If one is not going to read beyond 2 paragraphs of a post and then judge said entire post on 2 paragraphs....THEN WHY EVEN START READING A POST AT ALL--LEAST OF ALL RESPONDING TO 2 PARAGRAPHS?

Reading the first 2 paragraphs of a book and that's it is like smoking a cigarette after fore-play. Not a very fulfilling smoke I'd say if you didn't even get to and finish the main event. (I know I'll go to hades for that one--please do forgive Saint Harry). :)

AND...........If someone will show me in the Sports Message Board 10 Commandments that all you can write has to be said in 10 words and less or less than 2 paragraphs then I'll seriously think about changing my sinful message board ways but until then.........I'll keep on plugging alone.

:bling: Addendum: UNT90, we agree to disagree at times but many know you as a great (and caring) alum and Mean Green fan. We all want great things for our school is the common denominator.

If 200,000 alums around DFW cared enough like you to voice a concerned opinion, we'd need a 200,000 seat Apogee Stadium!

A Holiday Toast To A super North Texas alum/MG fan!

PlummMeanGreen

Jim Plummer

NTSU Class of 1976

Weatherford, Texas

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The "30 year assessment" above is quite accurate regarding North Texas' football / Metroplex strategies. Very poor leadership. BUT, what Mac has done is the very thing it takes to start fixing it, MUST BE SUSTAINED over time by UNT leadership. The fan base CAN come alive if UNT leadership doesn't go comatose again.

I'll be at the HOD game pulling for the Green

• Upvote 2