Welp, the HOD is not the lowest ranked bowl....

DeepGreen

This ranking is awful. Putting all homerism aside, I'd probably put the HOD about where she has us. But anyone who thinks that OU-Alabama is going to be a good game is on crack. Texas-Oregon? Please. UCF-Baylor is far more exciting a matchup than either of those. It's like she just ranked them all based upon names.

For future reference, Graham Watson should not be cited as an authority on anything.

Worried about what others think of us. Concrete Cowboy anyone?

GMG

I know you are Mr. Positive, but UNT90 already posted a "concrete" example of why this is bad for us. I had a former lettermen excited to make this trip, but is now hemming and hawing on it, because of the opponent. No, he isn't a diehard despite being a letterman, but those non diehards are exactly who we want to bring in to bowl games.

You wont convert a person that cares about matchups to become a fan. They will do the same during the season. You just have to find a true football fan.

If you have to convince a unt alum, then give up on them ever becoming a die hard unt fan. They will only come around in certain situations.

All unt alums should be hype right about now. Even if they cannot make it to the game, at minimum, they should have on unt gear and watch the game on TV. If they are not even watching the game, then concentrate on new fans.

• Upvote 4

Going to any bowl game is a godsend for this program. No one is arguing that and I'm excited as a little kid on Christmas to cut my New Years drinking short and be pre-gaming for a bowl game on New Year's Day at the cotton bowl.... But to act like the circumstances that led to our matchup in the HOD bowl not including a higher profile opponent than UNLV, during a season when we're the only local bowl team in north Texas, is just silly.

Call it a wrinkled $100 Bill argument if you want, but our form of legal tender was unluckily wrinkled however you slice it.

• Upvote 2

You wont convert a person that cares about matchups to become a fan. They will do the same during the season. You just have to find a true football fan.

That's just not true. There are several MGC and Stadium Fund level donators who became fans because I talked them into going to games. Yes, the tailgating and hanging out with friends is what initially got them to go, at first I even paid for their tickets... but over time they became involved in the program itself.

This year alone I know I talked two new couples into become club level donors. One of them hadn't been a season ticket holder since the Dickey years, and the other had never been season ticket holders and hand't even gone to a game since they were students in the 80s.

Agreed. Cerebus keep up the good work. I am bringing two new people who haven't gone to a single UNT game. Alumni that said "man, we have a pretty good defense this year huh?" I replied, You don't even know. Our boys keep winning everyone will come around.

That's just not true. There are several MGC and Stadium Fund level donators who became fans because I talked them into going to games. Yes, the tailgating and hanging out with friends is what initially got them to go, at first I even paid for their tickets... but over time they became involved in the program itself.

This year alone I know I talked two new couples into become club level donors. One of them hadn't been a season ticket holder since the Dickey years, and the other had never been season ticket holders and hand't even gone to a game since they were students in the 80s.

Apparently, THEY DID NOT CARE ABOUT THE MATCHUPS !!!! Did you miss that whole point?

No one stated that fans could not be converted.

The type that only wants to see big names and big games are not going to be consistient fans.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Point in fact:

1. The HOD payout at 2,200,000 is tied with the LV Bowl an has a better payout than 12 other bowls.

2. There is little travel expense for the team.

3. Home cooking and practice as the team gets prepared. It's nearly a home game.

4. Lots of local press in UNT's prime recruiting area.

5. It's a short journey for the Mean Green Nation as McCarney parts the waters of Lake Lewisville an leads them to the promised land.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 4

Point in fact:

1. The HOD payout at 2,200,000 is tied with the LV Bowl an has a better payout than 12 other bowls.

3. Home cooking and practice as the team gets prepared. It's nearly a home game.

4. Lots of local press in UNT's prime recruiting area.

5. It's a short journey for the Mean Green Nation as McCarney parts the waters of Lake Lewisville an leads them to the promised land.

You are my man!! Go Mean Green

• Upvote 1

hmm I am sure fans are just flocking to see Buffalo/SDSU in Boise no less

Does anyone really care UT plays Oregon in SA other than to see a Duck beat the piss out of a Longhorn?

I know WSU/CSU in Albuquerque, yeah that gets me fired up for sure.

Yeah the second most popular game according to these idiots is OSU/Clemson? Not my Top 5, Bama is going to destroy OU BORING!!

Oh well lets just crush the Rebels, make them the limping Rebels.

Apparently, THEY DID NOT CARE ABOUT THE MATCHUPS !!!! Did you miss that whole point?

Actually they cared about the matchups very much. I've had much more success bring people to game likes Houston, Rice and even Indiana than I have been for the lesser know teams.

I did have one couple come for ULL, but he was a ULL grad... so that is cheating.

I guess you missed my post where I was going to bring a former letterman and his family to the bowl game, but as soon as he saw it was UNLV he became disinterred?

I am done with this, if you don't think the opponent in the bowl game will have a negative effect on turn out, then you are living in a fantasy world and there is nothing I can do for you.

I will still try to drag out as many people as possible, and will have a hell of a time at the bowl and all the bowl events. Try and do the same and Go Mean Green.

Point in fact:

Payouts are sent to the league office, they then payout is used to cover bowl expenses for al the bowl bound teams, then the money is distributed to every team in the league, even those who didn't get bowl invites.

The only way for NT to make a decent amount of money off this game is to sell tickets. Make sure you and everyone you knows orders directly from the ticket office.