UNLV reportedly heading to Heart of Dallas Bowl on Jan. 1

Harry

Oregon State got C-USA's spot in the Hawaii Bowl- pays $650,000 per team

Pitt will play Bowling Green in Detroit's Pizza Bowl- It's in Detroit and pays $550,000 per team

Washington State plays Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl- It pays $400,000 per team

The HOD pays $1,100,000 per team

C-USA should have sent MTSU to the Hawaii Bowl and offered Oregon State the open spot in the HOD. If they said no, then they could stay home for bowl season. The MAC has teams in need of a bowl. It would be about the same as playing UNLV.

Im betting they're going to play up the Pres. Smatresk angle.

I actually like this matchup. Looking at their schedule, it looks an awful lot like ours. They pounded some horrible teams like we did. Head scratching loss at home VS Arizona (although way more lopsided than ours to UTSA).

I'm hoping the Mean Green Faithful, casual DFW football fans who might pull for the home team, & our own disconnected alumni greatly outnumber the UNLV fans.

Cincy was C-USA Co-Champions when we beat them.

Rick

Right. I was talking about comments made that suggested Cincy had some great football reputation or tradition. That was their first bowl game in years, IIRC. It's only since then that they moved up to the Big East and had a run of success at the national level.

Can somebody square the payout info? It used to be that the bowl team took home somewhere around half (40% maybe?) and the rest went into the pool. Then if there was additional payout for winning, the team playing got that. And the ticket allotment was counted into the revenue for the bowl team. So if the payout was $1 mil, then you got 400K, but had to "sell" about $100K of it yourself. If there was an extra $200K to the winner you got that. Then you got your share from the pool, i.e. if there were 12 teams and $1.2 mil in the pool you got $100K. At least this was how it was explained to me, but I don't know if it's that accurate. So does anyone know 1) if this WAS the correct formula and 2) if it still is?

• Upvote 1

Can somebody square the payout info? It used to be that the bowl team took home somewhere around half (40% maybe?) and the rest went into the pool.

I have never, ever heard of that arrangement.

The way it works at CUSA, and a similar model is in play at most conferences:

1) All money goes to a conference pool.

2) Bowl teams are reimbursed for their expenses.

3) Rest of money is distributed to ALL TEAMS in the league, with bowl teams getting a slightly larger percentage.

So, really, when coaches talk about the best part of a bowl game being the extra practice time and the extra exposure to recruits, they are right. There is no financial windfall for the teams.

The best way NT can make money off this game is that NT will have to buy a ticket allotment from HoD at a discount, if the ticket office can sell those tickets they will make a small amount off of each ticket.

So make sure everyone buys through the NT ticket office.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who says that UNLV was the first choice must be kidding....Syracuse and Boston College both wanted very badly to come to Dallas for this Bowl Game.....This team fought hard and of course are happy to be in this bowl....but it could and SHOULD have been so much better. Let down by those who manage this bowl....and an overall uneasy feeling about the new UNLV connections with our University

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1