Thoughts on UNT vs. Navy in Ft. Worth? (Armed Forces Bowl)

Harry

foutsrouts, actually, we played 4 games there in 1981 during the big 1 year UNT HFC'ing career of Bob Tyler---I haven't been back since.

GMG!

PS: Wish List: Darn it I wish they would have gone ahead and put a sliding roof on Cotton Bowl Stadium as they discussed.

Oops! They don't have that on jhowell.net which is usually pretty reliable, but I'll take your word for it. All they have listed for alternative sites in '81 are against both Okie State and UTA in Irving. Still would be nice to go back there for the first time in a long time.

I'm with the rest of the population on this.

While I'd rather have the HoD invitation (still laughing about the "invitayshunnnnnnn" moment from years ago that we were reminded of yesterday, sorry -- rabbit trail) the Armed Forces Bowl would be a dang good consolation.

New Year's Day at the original Cotton Bowl trumps a regular Monday at AGC Stadium, but still being local and having CowTown to party in is awesome, too.

• Upvote 1

Let me go on record by saying lets get a bowl game/any bowl game first then all can go out and get drunk assuming you will have a designated driver and that you will not be texting while under the influence--no matter who's driving. :blink:

O God Do Bless the Mean Green Nation....we are a most unique & peculiar group. but those 40 years in the wilderness didn't help in making us normal or even keel, either--nothing personal intended with that, of course. Amen.

GMG!

Wait...what?

As a veteran, the Armed Forces bowl would be great since so much is done before and during the game for the military. I'm praying for the HOD bowl because I dont think playing Navy would be as great a game as it would be playing an opponent selected for the HOD bowl.

Also I get Jan 1 off and I dont want to have to do the rock bottom to other employees in my office to have Dec. 30 off.

Armed Forces Bowl is very nice. Fort Worth rolls out a nice red carpet for this event. But I just don't see a TCU-connected event allowing us in that door. Not when they themselves are sitting at home this year.

Rick

I don't disagree but didn't SMU play in that bowl a few years ago? And they're both direct rivals. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see how TCU would have that much clout if they really wanted to invite NT. After all we would bring a lot of butts into Amon Carter and that has to be be real high on the AFB committee's list.

Heart of Dallas. I haven't been to the Historic Cotton Bowl in decades. Not since NT hosted Oklahoma State during the fair. It was a big event with a calvacade of country music stars after the game and of course, the fair. I was not familar with Oklahoma State before that game and I was surprised at how well Okla St. traveled.

Let's go back to Dallas.

Beat whoever

GO MEAN GREEN

Either one would be great. What happened to the MWC tie in? I really doubt TCU is going to spend much energy trying to keep us out of that bowl. While not as good for our fans, Hawaii is a higher profile bowl nationally and if we aren't in HOD or AF then that's probably where we land.

In super slow motion, in daisy dukes and a halter top/sweater vest combo? The return of Sexy Time!

No! There are things you can't un-see!

As a veteran, the Armed Forces bowl would be great since so much is done before and during the game for the military. I'm praying for the HOD bowl because I dont think playing Navy would be as great a game as it would be playing an opponent selected for the HOD bowl.

Also I get Jan 1 off and I dont want to have to do the rock bottom to other employees in my office to have Dec. 30 off.

Just give them the Stone Cold Stunner, courtesy of UNT's Alum Stone Cold Steve Austin

• Upvote 1

MeanGreenMarine...you are a great American and I hope you get your wish on the HOD Bowl.

Here is the last time North Texas played Navy at old Fouts Field with this YouTube vignette including the fly-over.

It was a fun game to be at even though the Middies won the game and became bowl elgible after this win.

Never seen so much offense by 2 teams in my life.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Armed Forces Bowl is very nice. Fort Worth rolls out a nice red carpet for this event. But I just don't see a TCU-connected event allowing us in that door. Not when they themselves are sitting at home this year.

Rick

If their only goal is to act all pissy about it, then sure. But an empty stadium doesn't look good for anyone involved, so if they are having issues with wanting to keep us out then they should re-think their priorities. Who else would bring as many people to that bowl?

• Upvote 1

Two things on my mind for this Cowtown-er:

a FW Bowl game

A bowl game against Michigan

But why would the FW Bowl pass over their MWC option?

Because it would be a chance to swap team for team with the Hawaii bowl in the interests of proximity. If both bowls get attendance boosts by switching the cusa and mw teams, it could be a win win.
  • Upvote 1

This is interesting because as it turns out, as of last week I already have tickets for most of my family to the Armed Forces bowl. My father-in-law is a Naval Academy grad and was planning on going and already bought tickets for all of us. So, it could work out if NT gets in the HoD that I end up attending both. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Although I would much prefer playing in the Cotton Bowl for the first time since BYU in 1971 (yes, I looked it up), Amon Carter beats the heck out of playing in the Beef O'Stew game, or even the expense and hassle of Christmas Eve in Hawaii. Please let it be one or the other in the DFW area.

What about Cotton Bowl Games against UTA and Okie State I think they were later than Golden Richards and BYU? I was at each.

• Upvote 1