Thoughts on UNT vs. Navy in Ft. Worth? (Armed Forces Bowl)

Harry

Vito mentions this possibility in his article --

What is everyone's thoughts on this bowl and also your preference to this or the Heart of Dallas?

I went to this Bowl game last year and it was fun...great venue. I think we could have some fun in Fort Worth for sure. It would also offer similar easy access for our alumni. I also think that having Rice in Heart of Dallas and us in Armed Forces is a better solution than having one of us go to Hawaii...

Here's a link to their site: http://www.armedforcesbowl.com/

MUCH prefer the HOD for several reasons.

1)Many people will have New Year's day off so a Dec 30 date would effect attendance compared to Jan 1.

2)I've always wanted to see my school play a game in the Cotton Bowl. Don't know why, it's just really cool to me.

3)Amon Carter is nice but it just seems more prestigious to be in the Cotton Bowl than in TCU's stadium.

4)DART runs straight to the gates of Fair Park. So much better for anyone who wanted to have an early morning tailgate off-site. Also, the potential for a party at a Dallas hotel and then a train ride down in the morning is far superior.

5)We beat Rice!!! Let them play somewhere else.

Another thing to consider, last year Rice played Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl. That bowl may not want to see that same matchup again.

Oh, and I already have a hook up for cheap Armed Forces Bowl tickets for law enforcement. :thumbsu:

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4

1)Many people will have New Year's day off so a Dec 30 date would effect attendance compared to Jan 1.

2)I've always wanted to see my school play a game in the Cotton Bowl. Don't know why, it's just really cool to me.

3)Amon Carter is nice but it just seems more prestigious to be in the Cotton Bowl than in TCU's stadium.

4)DART runs straight to the gates of Fair Park. So much better for anyone who wanted to have an early morning tailgate off-site. Also, the potential for a party at a Dallas hotel and then a train ride down in the morning is far superior.

Another thing to consider, last year Rice played Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl. That bowl may not want to see that same matchup again.

Oh, and I already have a hook up for cheap Armed Forces Bowl tickets for law enforcement. :thumbsu:

Good points all. One correction Rice played Air Force last year (I was at the game). I can guarantee you that Armed Forces won't want the same team again so if anything they would want to put us there. My preference would be HOD as well, but if we CAN'T get that Armed Forces would be a good second option. Just imagine RV on the mechanical bull!

I would be pleased with either bowl because...

• we have a winning season
  • we're "in" a bowl
  • the local crowd
  • life is good
  • comparable bowls
  • C-USA teams have played in the AF Bowl
  • it's a win-win for NT

If I had to choose one....I would pick the...HOD...for the original "Cotton Bowl" venue and "New Years Day" coolness.

• Upvote 2

Remember, I've always been in the North Texas vs B1G (or ACC replacement) camp, but...

I've also heard from a well-connected source that the Armed Forces is seriously considering a trade for North Texas. There is apparently an option for a CUSA/MWC switch (since it's normally alternating when AF isn't the pick). If the switch occurs, MWC could possibly get Military Bowl instead. This could be triggered if the SEC exercises their option to forego the CUSA champion in the Liberty Bowl a la Southern Miss 2011. If this occurs, Armed Forces is extremely interested in the Mean Green. As part of that chain reaction, Conference USA or Mountain West might get BBVA

• Upvote 1

If we were to be in the Armed Forces Bowl, and we were to have a party at Billy Bob's, we would need to invite the cast of Necessary Roughness for a reunion. :D

But I hope we get HOD - I would have to do some serious horse trading to get Dec. 30th off from work. I already have Dec. 31st.

Five good reasons, emmitt01, There are few better settings for a bowl game than the Cotton Bowl at Fair Park in Dallas.

Let me go on record by saying lets get a bowl game/any bowl game first then all can go out and get drunk assuming you will have a designated driver and that you will not be texting while under the influence--no matter who's driving. :blink:

O God Do Bless the Mean Green Nation....we are a most unique & peculiar group. but those 40 years in the wilderness didn't help in making us normal or even keel, either--nothing personal intended with that, of course. Amen.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

From an out-of-town perspective, since there's only a slim chance of us making it back for a DFW-based bowl, the HoD would still be better if I'm in AZ, because New Year's Day is a much easier sell for random disconnected alumni to show up at a watch party than early Monday morning (an hour earlier here, too). If we can play on Jan. 1, I'm optimistic about the chances of a couple dozen random alumni coming out of the woodwork. Monday morning at 10am? It'll probably be me hanging out with my kid playing tic-tac-toe between plays.

Good points all. One correction Rice played Air Force last year (I was at the game). I can guarantee you that Armed Forces won't want the same team again so if anything they would want to put us there. My preference would be HOD as well, but if we CAN'T get that Armed Forces would be a good second option. Just imagine RV on the mechanical bull!

Although I would much prefer playing in the Cotton Bowl for the first time since BYU in 1971 (yes, I looked it up), Amon Carter beats the heck out of playing in the Beef O'Stew game, or even the expense and hassle of Christmas Eve in Hawaii. Please let it be one or the other in the DFW area.

Although I would much prefer playing in the Cotton Bowl for the first time since BYU in 1971 (yes, I looked it up), Amon Carter beats the heck out of playing in the Beef O'Stew game, or even the expense and hassle of Christmas Eve in Hawaii. Please let it be one or the other in the DFW area.

foutsrouts, actually, we played 4 games there in 1981 during the big 1 year UNT HFC'ing career of Bob Tyler---I haven't been back since.

GMG!

PS: Darn it I wish they would have gone ahead and put a sliding roof on Cotton Bowl Stadium as they discussed.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen