Updated 12.3.13 SI Bowl Projections: UNT v CUSE in HOD

Harry

On a side note, I didn't realize that Syracuse had already bolted from the Big American East Athletic Conference. There really are no teams of national note left in that conference, yet they still seem to think they get to sit at the big boys' table.

Well they do get that one last BCS auto bid this year and then they are back in the same boat with the rest of us. Looks like UCF will get the big payday.

On a side note, I didn't realize that Syracuse had already bolted from the Big American East Athletic Conference. There really are no teams of national note left in that conference, yet they still seem to think they get to sit at the big boys' table.

The AAC after this season: not what SMU or UH wanted when they signed up, but its basically what they had in the CUSA they left behind. BTW, UConn will be gone ASAP, so will Cincy and the Florida schools.

SMU UCF

Tulsa USF

Tulane UConn

Houston Cincy

Memphis ECU

Temple Navy

CUSA after this season: not what UNT or La Tech wanted when we signed up, but a stepup from the Sun Belt Conference and the WAC leftovers.

UNT Middle Tennessee

UTEP Western Kentucky

UTSA Florida Atlantic

Rice Florida International

La Tech Marshall

Southern Miss Charlotte

UAB Old Dominion

WHEN UConn leaves the AAC to go to the ACC (its just a matter of time), along with Cincinatti probably, then they will replace them with Marshall and probably UTSA or UTEP. Whichever Texas team leaves, will get replaced by Texas State and either ULL or Arkansas State will replace Marshall.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

new C-USA > new and old Belt

new AAC = old C-USA

old belt = 1 Texas team

new CUSA = 4 Texas Teams

I like how we came out of it. And looking at the sparse crowds at SMU, Tulsa, Tulane I think Banowsky is liking it too...

The advantage that old C-USA had over us in the Belt from a recruiting perspective is much diminished in the AAC new C-USA configuration...

new C-USA > new and old Belt

I like how we came out of it. And looking at the sparse crowds at SMU, Tulsa, Tulane I think Banowsky is liking it too...

The advantage that old C-USA had over us in the Belt from a recruiting perspective is much diminished in the AAC new C-USA configuration...

Harry, FAU, FIU, and UAB are not exactly filling their stadiums either. I really hate to see Tulsa and Tulane go.

• Upvote 1

Harry, FAU, FIU, and UAB are not exactly filling their stadiums either. I really hate to see Tulsa and Tulane go.

No I hear you but if FAU will hire a big name coach I think they have potential to build a following. FIU needs to fire their coach but again, we saw a couple of years ago they have the potential to be quite good given their location. FAU and FIU are new programs that just starting to build a following...Tulsa and Tulane have had decades to develop theirs so they have a head start just a MUCH smaller pool to pull from..

The point I was making is we got a bigger lift from our move to C-USA from the Belt than Tulsa and Tulane will receive from their move to the AAC.

And I am sorry -- the average football recruit and family are not going to be bowled over by the difference between the AAC and C-USA...I just don't see that happening.

No I hear you but if FAU will hire a big name coach I think they have potential to build a following. FIU needs to fire their coach but again, we saw a couple of years ago they have the potential to be quite good given their location. FAU and FIU are new programs that just starting to build a following...Tulsa and Tulane have had decades to develop theirs so they have a head start just a MUCH smaller pool to pull from..

The point I was making is we got a bigger lift from our move to C-USA from the Belt than Tulsa and Tulane will receive from their move to the AAC.

And I am sorry -- the average football recruit and family are not going to be bowled over by the difference between the AAC and C-USA...I just don't see that happening.

In Texas, probably not.

How many games did SMU have on TV this year? What is the AAC's TV deal like?

Best I recollect, this Fall (2013) North Texas had 9 or 10 games televised during the regular season with a bowl game in a few weeks which will be televised nationally.

Not sure the AAC would give us a better deal than that any football season and what could be more important than that (?).........would it be playing schools that used to have it going on in major P5 conference over a half century ago (who bring "NO" traveling fans to magnificent Apogee Stadium) and possibly having far less televised games or.............. making sure our present and future Mean Green football teams get good TV coverage in this the #5 ranked TV market in the USA? Names can only take you so far among the G5 group of conferences. Some might say a "has been" name school and a buck might get you a bad cup of coffee thats been on the back burner all day long and at a Texas greasy spoon cafe to boot. Freds Cafe off Fort Worth's 7'th street for starters? ;)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

FIU needs to fire their coach

I'm almost sure that they won't be firing their coach for at least a couple more years. They moronically fired their coach who brought them from nothing to consecutive bowl appearances and a bowl win, and replaced him with a coach who brought them back down to nothing. But they're still on the line to pay Cristobal, and they won't want to keep paying two coaches after that's done. They certainly won't be paying 3 coaches at the same time.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

WHEN UConn leaves the AAC to go to the ACC (its just a matter of time), along with Cincinatti probably, then they will replace them with Marshall and probably UTSA or UTEP. Whichever Texas team leaves, will get replaced by Texas State and either ULL or Arkansas State will replace Marshall.

I doubt the ACC wants Uconn. Why would they go after UTEP? IF UTEP goes anywhere, it would be to the MWC, but they aren't exactly attractive. UTSA? Tap the brakes. Marshall could go, but they have more local teams than the American Airlines Conference. If their image does not improve, the few decent schools could get poached, but then couldn't CUSA, which has more name presteige poach a couple of schools back?

• Upvote 2

Couldn't agree more. Next year CUSA is basically the old Sunbelt, slightly improved. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we are now in CUSA but I really hope we get invited to the American Conference, or possibly the Big12 later on down the road. I know we are not even close to being invited to the Big12, but with some consistency and having B2B winning seasons like this year, I don't see why we at least don't get invited to American Conference and possibly Big12.

Again, I"m still glad we are currently in CUSA, even if it's almost like the Sunbelt. CUSA is actually a great conference for us at this time of building our program. We can and will continue our success season after season in the conference and not be bottom feeders! This will eventually get us where we all want to be!!

• Upvote 1

Best I recollect, this Fall (2013) North Texas had 9 or 10 games televised during the regular season with a bowl game in a few weeks which will be televised nationally.

Not sure the AAC would give us a better deal than that any football season and what could be more important than that (?).........would it be playing schools that used to have it going on in major P5 conference over a half century ago (who bring "NO" traveling fans to magnificent Apogee Stadium) and possibly having far less televised games or.............. making sure our present and future Mean Green football teams get good TV coverage in this the #5 ranked TV market in the USA? Names can only take you so far among the G5 group of conferences. Some might say a "has been" name school and a buck might get you a bad cup of coffee thats been on the back burner all day long and at a Texas greasy spoon cafe to boot. Freds Cafe off Fort Worth's 7'th street for starters? ;)

GMG!

SMU's TV broadcast 2013

TT - ESPN

MT State - ESPN3 (Internet)

aTm - ESPNU

TCU - FS1

Rutgers - ESPN News

Memphis - Regional

Temple - ESPN3

Cinci - Regional

UConn - ESPN3

USF - ESPN3

UH - ESPN2

UCF - ESPN

So 6 National TV, 2 Regional, and 4 internet. But then again, SMU sucked so why show them on TV this year?

UH was a much better team than SMU (similar rankings to UNT in conference), so we got much better TV coverage than them.

Southern - ESPN3 (Internet)

Temple - ESPN Regional

Rice - FSN

UTSA - FSN

Memphis - ESPN News

BYU - ESPN News

Rutgers - ESPN News

USF - ESPN

UCF - ESPN2

Louisville - ESPNU

Cincinnati - ESPN News

SMU - ESPN2

So 8 national broadcasts, 3 regional (if you count FSN as regional), and 1 internet. Not too shabby. And as our team got better and played and played better competition, the networks got better too in general.