Official Derek Thompson Apology Thread

chrisfisher

Derrick Thompson has concrete blocks for shoes. But did you see the high school passing stats for these guys?

Rick

How did you ever pass the reading comprehension section of the firefighter exam?

In the previous post to which you are referring, I never said Derek "Derrick" Thompson had bad high school passing stats. In fact, his high school stats were impressive all the way around. In the context of that post, it is actually important to understand that.

We will have to disagree on whether "Derrick" is a mobile quarterback. I think not, but his lack of mobility did not prevent him from posting a 8-4 record as a starter this year.

In regards to your previous comment about football being tennis and whether a single player can swing a win or a loss... I believe one player can win or lose a football game. Football is often a game of individual matchups: WR vs. CB, OT vs DE, a RB in the open field vs. a SS, etc. If all the other matchups are battling to a draw then football can come down to one player vs. one player. It can come down to a final play and it can be a game of inches. If one player is strong enough to get that extra inch against his opponent then it can mean the difference between winning and losing.

You can talk all you want about football being a team game and it is. But it can come down to ONE player making a play. Ask the backup kicker from Alabama. His long-snapper did his job. His blockers did their job. The holder did his job. If the kicker could have hit that long field goal then Alabama would be playing for another national title.

• Upvote 1

I think that when October rolls around next year, a lot of people on here are going to wish DT was able to get a 10th year like Case Keenum.

The grass is always greener, people...

You don't care for a well watered yard, do you?

If this board ever gave DT even a quarter of the shit Rodge had heaped on him... I fear we might just have to shut the whole thing down for a couple days and just have a big group cry session.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3

How did you ever pass the reading comprehension section of the firefighter exam?

In the previous post to which you are referring, I never said Derek "Derrick" Thompson had bad high school passing stats. In fact, his high school stats were impressive all the way around. In the context of that post, it is actually important to understand that.

We will have to disagree on whether "Derrick" is a mobile quarterback. I think not, but his lack of mobility did not prevent him from posting a 8-4 record as a starter this year.

In regards to your previous comment about football being tennis and whether a single player can swing a win or a loss... I believe one player can win or lose a football game. Football is often a game of individual matchups: WR vs. CB, OT vs DE, a RB in the open field vs. a SS, etc. If all the other matchups are battling to a draw then football can come down to one player vs. one player. It can come down to a final play and it can be a game of inches. If one player is strong enough to get that extra inch against his opponent then it can mean the difference between winning and losing.

You can talk all you want about football being a team game and it is. But it can come down to ONE player making a play. Ask the backup kicker from Alabama. His long-snapper did his job. His blockers did their job. The holder did his job. If the kicker could have hit that long field goal then Alabama would be playing for another national title.

And if the starting kicker had made just one of the 3 missed field goals, Alabama would have won. You are proving your lack of football knowledge again. One play does not determine the outcome of a game. There are multiple plays that effect the overall outcome of any and all sporting events. NT should have scored at least 6 more points, but there was a fumble on the 3-yard line Tulsa returned 97 yards for a touchdown.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, all of that was vs our defense. I would hazard a guess that, if put behind that Tulsa line, Derek wouldn't fare any better against our defense yesterday.

Derek was improved some from last year. But too many times this year Derek reverted back to the old Derek.

As I've said before. With better QB play (fwiw my choice after the spring game was McNulty) and with Coach Mac not interfering with the offensive calls, we would have gone 11-1 this year.

Having said all that I am very appreciative of Dereks hard work and devotion to the school.

No Bill, you missed a thread earlier last week in which several here thought it was a great thread that illogically compared DT's running ability to the high school passing stats of all the opposing QB's we have faced this year.

So I was simply helping continue with the asinine comparisons that has followed.

Rick

• Downvote 1

Or Alabama's defense could have, oh I don't know, not given up a 45 yard TD with 35 seconds left? Inexcusable for the CB to leave the WR on that play. He was the only player between the WR and the end zone. Selfish play. Trust your LB to do his job until the QB crosses the line of scrimmage. Or any one of several other plays that could have changed the outcome, including the FG attempts.

And if the starting kicker had made just one of the 3 missed field goals, Alabama would have won. You are proving your lack of football knowledge again. One play does not determine the outcome of a game. There are multiple plays that effect the overall outcome of any and all sporting events. NT should have scored at least 6 more points, but there was a fumble on the 3-yard line Tulsa returned 97 yards for a touchdown.

I'm confused. You say if Alabama would've played one play better, on 3 different occasion no less, they would've won, but then you say one play doesn't determine the outcome.

• Upvote 1

Well, I passed it because the questions were written with clear logic in mind, and were pertinent to the subject matter at hand. Not the questionable logic you started a thread with that called our QB recruit "average", then began its first paragraph with a backhanded slap of the current QB who just led us to our first bowl game in 9 years.

Any more questions?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick