Stats: Defense deserves a little slack

Cr1028

I know it was a tough loss but lets look at some rankings.

Turnovers:

Defense 3rd best TO gained

Offense 73rd TO lost

Total Offense/Defense:

Defense 36th Total Defense

Offense 70th Total Offense

Redzone Offense/Defense:

Defense 4th Redzone D

Offense 22nd Redzone O

Scoring D/O:

Defense 11th best scoring D 207 pts or 18.8/game

Offense 58th best scoring O 336 pts (of which 42 were scored by the D or ST) or 30.5/game

If you remove the 7 TDs scored by the D or special teams and add the extra point it drops our O scoring to 287 or 26/game which would put us around 80th.

The D and special teams have carried us and just because they didn't carry us to a win vs UTSA doesn't mean it should fall on them. It is time for the offense to pull some weight. Canales needs to fix this.

• Upvote 3

I know it was a tough loss but lets look at some rankings.

Turnovers:

Defense 3rd best TO gained

Offense 73rd TO lost

Total Offense/Defense:

Defense 36th Total Defense

Offense 70th Total Offense

Redzone Offense/Defense:

Defense 4th Redzone D

Offense 22nd Redzone O

Scoring D/O:

Defense 11th best scoring D 207 pts or 18.8/game

Offense 58th best scoring O 336 pts (of which 42 were scored by the D or ST) or 30.5/game

If you remove the 7 TDs scored by the D or special teams and add the extra point it drops our O scoring to 287 or 26/game which would put us around 80th.

The D and special teams have carried us and just because they didn't carry us to a win vs UTSA doesn't mean it should fall on them. It is time for the offense to pull some weight. Canales needs to fix this.

Some days you need the offense to win you a game. Simple. They didn't do that. People keep wanting to point fingers at the D but miss the fact that our special teams and defense got us here and is usually good for points. Didn't happen for ONE week. Similar to the Ball State game. Offense won that game but that offense has been absent since the MTSU game.

Make no mistake about it there is plenty of blame to go around. On another thread I commented on how the team didn't play championship defense on Saturday. I guarantee you every man on that defense would agree with that, Zach Orr even said as much.

I think most everyone that follows this team knows defense and special teams has carried the load. No surprise. So when the defense has an off day it gets magnified and ends up in a loss.

But yes the offense probably does shoulder most of the load. Poor throws, dropped passes, bone-headed procedure penalties inside the 10 and on and on and on. It has been a broken record for this offense for the last how many weeks?

• Upvote 3

Make no mistake about it there is plenty of blame to go around. On another thread I commented on how the team didn't play championship defense on Saturday. I guarantee you every man on that defense would agree with that, Zach Orr even said as much.

I think most everyone that follows this team knows defense and special teams has carried the load. No surprise. So when the defense has an off day it gets magnified and ends up in a loss.

But yes the offense probably does shoulder most of the load. Poor throws, dropped passes, bone-headed procedure penalties inside the 10 and on and on and on. It has been a broken record for this offense for the last how many weeks?

You said earlier that you weren't at the game on Saturday, but you have a better explanation and idea of how things went than a lot of people who were at the game. Another spot on post by you.
  • Downvote 1

Some days you need the offense to win you a game. Simple. They didn't do that. People keep wanting to point fingers at the D but miss the fact that our special teams and defense got us here and is usually good for points. Didn't happen for ONE week. Similar to the Ball State game. Offense won that game but that offense has been absent since the MTSU game.

So true...not sure who is calling the plays and putting the game plan together , but that should change NOW.!!