Dec 2 - HOD Bowl Team Announcements

bdan2002

I went to the UH-Penn State game two years ago and got tickets for around $30 each of stubhub. I imagine there will be a similar market for that.

I think UNT students could also get a ticket price break made possible by either our school administration's auxilary fund for special needs or the UNT athletic dept or maybe a few of our heavy hitter alums. I think StubHub would be the real deal, though, as stated by Eastwood Eagle. If organized properly and asked I would be in as to sponsor a deserving UNT student with a HOD Bowl game ticket as long as I knew the ticket would be used.

AND..............according to one of UNT's New Orleans Bowl DVD's and one of our team's earliest appearance in the Big Easy, the MGRN guys say we brought around 17K fans for a Tuesday night bowl game, ie, 9-10 hours away from DFW-Denton. (It was a work day for me the next day so I was not part of the 17K).

? Not sure where some of these low ticket sales estimates for a HOD Bowl game are coming from since it would be played on New Years Day about an hour from campus and in close proximity to our largest number of UNT alums.

:bling: If on a weeknight the Mean Green Nation can travel 17,000-20,000 to New Orleans with much less time to have sold tickets for that game back in that day I don't think it difficult to understand that we'd travel so many more of our fans to Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl Stadium with a month to sell tickets for the game.

Any bowl invite would be great, but the HOD Bowl is one that I think our CUSA commish' sees as a win-win-win; that is, a win for the HOD Bowl officials; a win for CUSA headquarters and a win for the University of North Texas. (What a great time to flex our Metro-plex alumnus numbers, too, since a 1 month window of time for this bowl game would give our school time to even get a mass mailer or 2 out to our masses promoting this bowl game).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Here's a question: If UNT is selected for the Heart of Dallas Bowl, what would be a rough estimate of UNT fan attendance for that game?

We took over 20k for the last two NO Bowl games, and that required the high cost of airfare and a hotel room, for an opponent that most casual fans knew little about.

I can't imagine us taking less than that many for a game in our back yard, ESPECIALLY if we get a good opponent.

• Upvote 1

We took over 20k for the last two NO Bowl games, and that required the high cost of airfare and a hotel room, for an opponent that most casual fans knew little about.

I can't imagine us taking less than that many for a game in our back yard, ESPECIALLY if we get a good opponent.

Where are you getting your 20k numbers? I went to all 4 New Orleans Bowls and the 1st two didn't look like there was a total 20k,let alone that many from North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Where are you getting your 20k numbers? I went to all 4 New Orleans Bowls and the 1st two didn't look like there was a total 20k,let alone that many from North Texas.

Perhaps a night of revelry out on Bourbon Street the night before had some seeing double? :crazysmile:

Hank D of the MGRN said on one of the DVD's that North Texas did have close to 17K fans at one of those Tuesday night games. At any rate, not bad for a Texas-based school almost 8-10 (driving) hours away some might say.

GMG!

The average published attendance for the 4 New Orleans bowls that North Texas participated in was a little less that 25,000 per game. We are pretty much fair weather fans. If the weather turns nasty, which it does more often than not in January, I doubt that we will deliver the numbers that we would like to the H.O.D. bowl.I have frozen my butt off several times at the Cotton Bowl, and it wasn't much fun.Just an observation, not trying to stir the pot, hope we get the invite. But having said that, I think we need to be realistic about our fan support,as average home attendance was only about 21,000.

On the topic of attendance, there are so many offsetting factors, it's tough to make a decent estimate.

The good: There are so many people who go to mid-major schools that don't go to games, and probably won't travel to bowl games, but if it's right near home, and is a huge bowl game against a well-known B1G opponent like Iowa or Michigan, you can bet a bunch will suddenly swear they're lifelong fans of their alma mater and show up. However...

The bad: Yup, it will probably be cold. And it's a holiday game, which means though many will be off work, they also have the excuse of alternate plans. But...

Good: Yeah, a month in advance to sell tickets helps. The more people that buy early, the less will make other plans. So we need a big boost to sell tickets early if/when/as soon as we get the invitation.

Bad: Over the holidays, will we see as many students, regardless of ticket prices? I hope so, but it's hard to make assurances.

So I'd estimate between 20-30K, which is a huge range, but with so many factors in play, it will be a stab in the dark to make an estimate this early with any hope of accuracy. Let's just push for the biggest attendance number possible!

• Upvote 2

Great points Jesse. AS SOON as you know for sure you're in HOD you have to send out a well written concise message from UNT to invite UNT Alumni and Fans to the game and give the reasons WHY it is important that they attend. Like Emmitt and others stated -- have a big party in Dallas make it an event. You will have close to a month to promote this event...spend the money and get it done.

I think UNT brings 30K to the Cotton Bowl. I mean every Gloria Campos or Tinsley or Muser or whoever connected to the University in any sort of way is going to claim the Mean Green on that day and roll out to the stadium.

There will be a lot of parties planned by the bowl committee and there will be off shoot parties too. It may be in our backyard but it won't be in Denton in the friendly confines of Apogee. This my friends is going to be in SMU's backyard, in the bed of the Dallas Morning News, under the glowing lights of the Omni, with UNT circling around Reunion Tower over a cheery holiday season.

I think the Mean Green bring the house, now we just need to get the bid.

Beat Tulsa,

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I think UNT brings 30K to the Cotton Bowl. I mean every Gloria Campos or Tinsley or Muser or whoever connected to the University in any sort of way is going to claim the Mean Green on that day and roll out to the stadium.

There will be a lot of parties planned by the bowl committee and there will be off shoot parties too. It may be in our backyard but it won't be in Denton in the friendly confines of Apogee. This my friends is going to be in SMU's backyard, in the bed of the Dallas Morning News, under the glowing lights of the Omni, with UNT circling around Reunion Tower over a cheery holiday season.

Beat Tulsa,

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

People who have never cared about UNT football will not suddenly care because we are in the Heart of Dallas bowl.

But, I do think we turn out a really good crowd, and I do think it is great for local publicity and recruiting. Hoping for a New Year's Eve party event for the Mean Green Nation. Make it happen, athletic department.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does anyone know what Rice's Homecoming Queen looked like???

No, her feet were covered.

Since UNT will be getting so much more $$$ from bowls this year, we could spend some of that money promoting attendance at the bowl, too...just a thought...

I went to the UH-Penn State game two years ago and got tickets for around $30 each of stubhub. I imagine there will be a similar market for that.

Same here, but I didn't even need stubhub, I bought at the ticket window. They weren't 50 yard line, but they were like lower level 20 yard line.

Here's a question: If UNT is selected for the Heart of Dallas Bowl, what would be a rough estimate of UNT fan attendance for that game?

That is a very good question. With a hundred thousand alums in Dallas proper, one would hope for good attendance, but it would depend on two things we seem lack in Dallas - advertising and promotion.

That is a very good question. With a hundred thousand alums in Dallas proper, one would hope for good attendance, but it would depend on two things we seem lack in Dallas - advertising and promotion.

HOD opponent might also be a determining factor.

The last two NO Bowls were also smack dab in the middle of Finals week.

The Westie: Guy who drove from 2004 New Orleans Bowl back to Denton non-stop while everybody else in the car wrote finals papers and studied.

We won't have to deal with that in the HOD Bowl.

Beat Tulsa,

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

I think you meant to write Cynthia Izaguirre (not Gloria Campos). Gloria Campos is a Texas State alumna.

• Upvote 1

Are teams outside the BCS bowls required to buy so many tickets? That may account for the discrepency in actual attendance numbers. I know a lot of teams in BCS bowls actually lose money because of ticket requirements, team travel and hotel accommodations, etc. - decided well advance by bowl officials. Is that the case with other bowls?

Are teams outside the BCS bowls required to buy so many tickets? That may account for the discrepency in actual attendance numbers. I know a lot of teams in BCS bowls actually lose money because of ticket requirements, team travel and hotel accommodations, etc. - decided well advance by bowl officials. Is that the case with other bowls?

If we have to buy a bunch, easy fix. A week before the game, list the rest on ebay. They may not go for face value but we could recoup some of the remaining money invested in those tickets. And if for some reason people are going crazy over the game, we might net a profit. People sell bowl tickets on ebay all the time, and sometimes if the seats are decent they go for a lot. I'm not expecting OU Fiesta Bowl prices or anything (I think they were up to $1500 a pair) but still...sometimes the simplest ideas are the ones that work the best.

Jeez guys, no less than 35k would buy tickets from UNT alone. Since 17-20K showed for New Orleans, more would show for HOD. It's a freaking bowl game in our own back yard. I was present at all 4 N.O. Bowls and we had at least that many. The Mean Green Nation would show up in force. UNT alums answer the call to bowl games - unless in it is in a f'd place like Hawaii or D.C.

• Upvote 2