UTSA vs UNT: A lot of hype

Hey guys,

I'm noticing that this game is getting a lot of hype built around it. The trash talk has been solid on both games. There's plenty riding on it in terms of post-season aspirations. etc.

Can y'all tell me the last time a Mean Green game got this much hype? Or is this just another game with a lot of smack?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I've never seen a combined 14 people debate something with such fervor for two weeks ever. Everyone involved is doing a really good job!

hahaha! Sometimes it feels that way on boards - that's it's just a handful of people.

But it seems that, overall, fans on both sides know that this game has some weight.

hahaha! Sometimes it feels that way on boards - that's it's just a handful of people.

But it seems that, overall, fans on both sides know that this game has some weight.

Sigh...

The only weight it has is that you are in our way of a conference title. Not because you can win the title, but because we need to crush you to beat out Rice for the title.

Just another step in our road, nothing more. Rice was the biggie.

Why do y'all need our approval as an opponent so bad? Ever wonder about that?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This is as big a game we have had in late November that I can recall. I graduated in 90 and have been following things closely since 1994. I am very nervous about this game but also excited.

2002. NMSU versus North Texas. Winner plays in New Orleans bowl, loser stays home.

Even if (and this is a pretty big if) North Texas loses this game, North Texas is still going bowling and we would still be in the hunt for the conference championship. Of course winning out is the best possible path for North Texas to take but I don't think it is that big of a game.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys,

I'm noticing that this game is getting a lot of hype built around it. The trash talk has been solid on both games. There's plenty riding on it in terms of post-season aspirations. etc.

Can y'all tell me the last time a Mean Green game got this much hype? Or is this just another game with a lot of smack?

It's much more about where UNT is at this point in the season than who or what the opponent is.

It's much more about where UNT is at this point in the season than who or what the opponent is.

UNT's post-season is in their hands. Yes, a bowl game is in the future, but more wins, plus a conference title, mean bigger and better things in terms of a bowl. So yeah, I agree with you.

However, UTSA is a worthy opponent because they're still mathematically in the hunt for a Division title as well. Take out the the OOC games and you're talking about a 5-1 team vs. 4-2. Look at just the West division and you're looking at a 3-1 team vs. a 3-1 team.

If UNT loses to UTSA, the west becomes a mess and sets up a huge Saturday next weekend for Conference USA.

UNT's post-season is in their hands. Yes, a bowl game is in the future, but more wins, plus a conference title, mean bigger and better things in terms of a bowl. So yeah, I agree with you.

However, UTSA is a worthy opponent because they're still mathematically in the hunt for a Division title as well. Take out the the OOC games and you're talking about a 5-1 team vs. 4-2. Look at just the West division and you're looking at a 3-1 team vs. a 3-1 team.

If UNT loses to UTSA, the west becomes a mess and sets up a huge Saturday next weekend for Conference USA.

UTSA is not as in the hunt as you make it sound. UTSA has an outside shot at the West title, but a lot of things that are outside of their control have to happen as well as a road win over us.

Hey guys,

This game means so much and yet, as for as interest is concerned, the 1977 SMU game is hard to beat. We had a very good team ( certainly the best in The DFW area) and Hayden Fry wanted this game badly against a school that had inexplicably fired him only a few years earlier. We won.
  • Upvote 1