The Breakdown (UNT vs. UTSA)

Mean_Green09

Always enjoy these.

One thing I be noticed is that a lot of our big running game plays happen on the Antonio Johnson Y'Barbo side of the fence. Y'Barbo comes out like a jet and explodes on a down lineman and Antonio takes his long wingspan and 6-5 height like a gate closing off linebackers. I expect UTSA to REALLY try to prevent this in their base scheme. If I'm Chico, I look at trying to expose the other side with Anyiem and Lemon perhaps with a counter or just straight up.

Wow exciting to think that Lemon, Y'Barbo, Kirby and Johnson are ALL back next season. Anyiem will be missed and has been a terrific story and proof that this staff can develop.

The offenses look comparable stat wise. Defense is what should win it for us......

Always a joy to read. Thanks for doing this. Do you care to proffer a score prediction?

No problem. I'll stick to what I said on Mean Green Nation's Podcast this week. 24-14. In ugly weather I'll take the team that has the best ugly style. UTSA will be ready to play just not sure they have enough depth and talent to endure 4 quarters of physical football.

• Upvote 1

I think that since UTSA's passing game is more of a horizontal passing game plays more into our favor. Our pass defense has had it's troubles this year with the vertical passing game. If Soza is passing into the flat and swinging it out, I think our defense swarms to the ball, limits gains, and possibly causes turnovers.

The UTSA receivers will have the problem of alligator arms to deal with after a couple good pops.

• Upvote 1

When you look at the UTSA vs. NT coaching, how did you determine North Texas is favored? Are you looking at head coaching only or the entire coaching staff?

Interesting read. Love the stats breakdown as it really shows how a team's strength goes against the opposing team's weakness.

• Upvote 1

When you look at the UTSA vs. NT coaching, how did you determine North Texas is favored? Are you looking at head coaching only or the entire coaching staff?

Interesting read. Love the stats breakdown as it really shows how a team's strength goes against the opposing team's weakness.

I look at coaching staffs as a whole. I would still take Coach Mac over Coker in a head to head to. I don't discount the fact that Coker won a NC, because that's hard to do. But lets be honest he was gift wrapped that team. Butch Davis recruited that team. I give Coker credit for keeping the team together though and staying out of the way. He is certainly doing a great job at building a program at UTSA, but I think Coach Mac is slightly better in game management.

• Upvote 1

I look at coaching staffs as a whole. I would still take Coach Mac over Coker in a head to head to. I don't discount the fact that Coker won a NC, because that's hard to do. But lets be honest he was gift wrapped that team. Butch Davis recruited that team. I give Coker credit for keeping the team together though and staying out of the way. He is certainly doing a great job at building a program at UTSA, but I think Coach Mac is slightly better in game management.

Same could be said for Dodge and Mac. Still, talent doesnt make a team. It takes the right combo to mold them into one.

Rick

Same could be said for Dodge and Mac. Still, talent doesnt make a team. It takes the right combo to mold them into one.

Rick

I hear what your saying, Dodge didn't leave a team full of pros though. Yes he left some talent, but no winning attitude. Coker got like 20 pros and a team that already knew how to win.

• Upvote 1

Rick

Really? Dodge had a team that had a great record the year prior and McCarney was successful in year one? I don't remember it that way. Coker won a NC with the team in his first season, taking over a team that had finished #2 the year prior. Not sure that the Dodge situation really equates. Dodge left some talent, but not enough for Mac to have the same kind immediate success. Dodge also didn't leave after an even remotely successful season. Mac has had to coach up these guys and change the culture of the program. Coker came in and won immediately with Davis' recruits and slowly ran the program the other way.

Really? Dodge had a team that had a great record the year prior and McCarney was successful in year one? I don't remember it that way. Coker won a NC with the team in his first season, taking over a team that had finished #2 the year prior. Not sure that the Dodge situation really equates. Dodge left some talent, but not enough for Mac to have the same kind immediate success. Dodge also didn't leave after an even remotely successful season. Mac has had to coach up these guys and change the culture of the program. Coker came in and won immediately with Davis' recruits and slowly ran the program the other way.

Jimmy vs Switzer

• Upvote 1

Always enjoy these.

One thing I be noticed is that a lot of our big running game plays happen on the Antonio Johnson Y'Barbo side of the fence. Y'Barbo comes out like a jet and explodes on a down lineman and Antonio takes his long wingspan and 6-5 height like a gate closing off linebackers. I expect UTSA to REALLY try to prevent this in their base scheme. If I'm Chico, I look at trying to expose the other side with Anyiem and Lemon perhaps with a counter or just straight up.

Wow exciting to think that Lemon, Y'Barbo, Kirby and Johnson are ALL back next season. Anyiem will be missed and has been a terrific story and proof that this staff can develop.

I really like our situation with replacing Anyiam next year. Cyril Lemon has already proven that he can play right tackle and have Mckinney slide in at right guard.

But also, Connor Trussell will compete for the spot and the dark horse might be Harrison Sorge. He's got very good size and has been impressive in his redshirt year, making the travel squad as well. I think he will be the successor to Antonio Johnson at left tackle after next year, but for next year he could make a very strong push at right tackle.

Dodge left McCarney with the smallest lines a FBS program could have. ANything that has been developed from those two lines are only because of Mac's experience in developing linemen, specifically in strength and conditioning and in technique.

Dodge left him Dunbar and some nice other nice pieces that had to be developed.

Coker got a national champion team for his first two years, even if they lost the last one to Ohio State on a bogus pass interference call in OT. Once those guys left, Coker's teams really fell back. After he was fired, Miami's program is about as mediocre as it has been in the last 40 years. That said, Coker was the perfect person to start UTSA's program. He has name recognition and creditbility because of those Miami teams, which helps with their fanbase, media, and the high school coaches here in Texas.

UTSA has everything laid out for them to become a great non-AQ program. We will see if Coker can lead them up to that level...I sure wouldn't underestimate them.

Really? Dodge had a team that had a great record the year priorand McCarney was successful in year one? I don't remember it that way. Coker won a NC with the team in his first season, taking over a team that had finished #2 the year prior. Not sure that the Dodge situation really equates. Dodge left some talent, but not enough for Mac to have the same kind immediate success. Dodge also didn't leave after an even remotely successful season. Mac has had to coach up these guys and change the culture of the program. Coker came in and won immediately with Davis' recruits and slowly ran the program the other way.

Did you simply blow by the part that '09 mentioned about recruits, which is what I was responding to?

Butch Davis recruited that team...

Rick

Dodge left McCarney with the smallest lines a FBS program could have. ANything that has been developed from those two lines are only because of Mac's experience in developing linemen, specifically in strength and conditioning and in technique.

Dodge left him Dunbar and some nice other nice pieces that had to be developed.

Coker got a national champion team for his first two years, even if they lost the last one to Ohio State on a bogus pass interference call in OT. Once those guys left, Coker's teams really fell back. After he was fired, Miami's program is about as mediocre as it has been in the last 40 years. That said, Coker was the perfect person to start UTSA's program. He has name recognition and creditbility because of those Miami teams, which helps with their fanbase, media, and the high school coaches here in Texas.

UTSA has everything laid out for them to become a great non-AQ program. We will see if Coker can lead them up to that level...I sure wouldn't underestimate them.

And we still have one of the smallest D lines an FBS team could have, which obviously means very little today.

I'm not dismissing Mac's accomplishments but I'm sick of the Dodge bashing. To continue to harp on Todd Dodge as if he was asleep at the wheel the whole time degrades our own players for making their personal decision to play for the man in the first place.

Get over it you Vittos.. Dodge is gone.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2