Here's what worries me about UTSA

Harry

Feel free to enlighten me then.

I've answered it. We piggybacked on the SA market just like you piggybacked on the DFW market.

Read my post above. We did what was asked of us...improve your facilities. We have committed over $100 million to improvements. Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

What has UTSA done other than suiting up a team, leasing the Alamodome and announce a fountain would be built? Would love to see you answer 90's question.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Read my post above. We did what was asked of us...improve your facilities. We have committed over $100 million to improvements. Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

What has UTSA done other than suiting up a team, leasing the Alamodome and announce a fountain would be built? Would love to see you answer 90's question.

He won't answer it because he can't. He can't give one example if what UTSA did to EARN their seat at the table, yet he wants to argue they belong.

This is why UTSA will never recwive any respect from the fans of the teams in their conference.

Such a huge entitlement attitude in their fan base.

We beat them by 30. Wish it were 70.

• Upvote 2

I'm not saying your improvements didn't help your cause. I'm saying they were minimal compared to how much DFW did. You think you wouldve been considered that first time without the market? You think CUSA wouldve been impressed enough by your facilities to invite you this time if you where in the middle of nowhere?

Facilities can be built (which UTSA and other new members are doing), markets can't.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You've gone full UNT90 now.

My apologies, I was under the impression you actually wanted to have a normal discussion.

I do, but your attitude that you know best when you weren't even here the first time CUSA came to assess North Texas is tiring. Sure, market has something to do with it, but you can't discount our facilities. We were in this market when they reviewed us the first time and they made it abundantly clear our facilities did not measure up, so we committed to improvements across the board that I mentioned above. UTSA, on the other hand, was just handed an invite. Therein lies the issue. You appear to have difficulty understanding this.

• Upvote 1

I do, but your attitude that you know best when you weren't even here the first time CUSA came to assess North Texas is tiring. Sure, market has something to do with it, but you can't discount our facilities. We were in this market when they reviewed us the first time and they made it abundantly clear our facilities did not measure up, so we committed to improvements across the board that I mentioned above. UTSA, on the other hand, was just handed an invite. Therein lies the issue. You appear to have difficulty understanding this.

I'm not completely discounting them (they are nice), I'm saying they played a minimal role compared to market. Would you agree with that?

UTSA didn't get an invite for no reason either. It was based on potential. And so far it's panned out, and not just the on-field and attendance success in football. The cross country team just won a conference title, the volleyball team will face Tulsa for the same honor, the baseball team is coming off a WAC title and should contend. UTSA athletics has shown it belongs in this conference.

• Downvote 2

Lifer can't be 90. He has glasses!

Underrated due to its obscurity. Anyway...

If I'm not mistaken, what I think correcamino is saying is that our improvements really weren't the key, so even though we did that to TRY to earn a spot, it's really just metro/TV markets. I think he's going in a roundabout way to say that UTSA didn't do anything to earn the seat (without flat-out admitting it but referring to potential as well as non-money sports stuff, which we've had for years and didn't help), and UNT's attempts weren't what got us there either. Am I encapsulating this correctly, CC?

• Upvote 1

You keep talking about the DFW market being the main attraction that got UNT into C-USA. I see why you'd think that. And yes, I do understand the concepts of "marketing" and "fan base" and all that jazz.

I got my undergraduate degree at the third-largest university in this state, which happens to be in Houston. After the first season, in which I was a shy kid who only went to two games with a few friends from high school, the only game in Houston that I missed for the rest of my undergraduate career was when I attended a funeral. And that school, which had been having some pretty darn good football seasons and overall sports accomplishments, was flat shut out of the Big 12 when four former SWC schools made the move. (Was I confused? Yes. Bitter? Nah. I'm the oddball that always liked Houston's spot in C-USA better.) But my point is... By your logic, Houston should have been invited to the Big 12 instead of Baylor because the Houston television market is far more attractive than the Waco market. That obviously did not happen. Hell, SMU or TCU should have been invited instead of Baylor. Nope. Your argument in its context is invalid.

You guys had what, close to ten consecutive losing seasons heading into this one? So you didn't earn it on the field.

This point is pretty silly. Fourth largest university in the state- just barely- with over 120 years of academics and many more than ten seasons of football. Every school has its frustrating, disappointing, maddening seasons. Those are part of the "dues" that we paid.

Don't take this post as hostile. I like that UTSA has a football program. I like its spirit. I was so antsy during the first part of the Houston-UTSA game that one of my neighbors called to see what all the yelling was about. I can't believe you guys snagged Coker. But the dues... you guys just haven't paid 'em yet. And it ain't all y'all's fault that you guys got first crack at the big piece of chicken (sorry, I just couldn't resist that one, but it does fit here), but after seeing what Houston had to go through in the SWC years and UNT had to go through since I came here during the Dodge years- and knowing that longer-lived UNT fans have experienced much, much more frustration and disappointment and heartbreak than I- I'm just saying, man. Dues. Y'all haven't paid 'em. You guys were able to drive up to the window and *poof* Welcome to FBS... would you like mashed potatoes or another one of our fresh sides with that?

• Upvote 3

I'm not saying your improvements didn't help your cause. I'm saying they were minimal compared to how much DFW did. You think you wouldve been considered that first time without the market? You think CUSA wouldve been impressed enough by your facilities to invite you this time if you where in the middle of nowhere?

Facilities can be built (which UTSA and other new members are doing), markets can't.

If it was just market, kindly explain why they picked UTEP over UNT?

Jeez, do you know anything about college football that hasn't occurred in the last 3 years?

• Upvote 1

The man speaks the truth. That is one fine fountain!

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying your improvements didn't help your cause. I'm (just) saying they were minimal compared to how much DFW did. You think you wouldve been considered that first time without the market? You think CUSA wouldve been impressed enough by your facilities to invite you this time if you where in the middle of nowhere?

Underrated due to its obscurity. Anyway...

If I'm not mistaken, what I think correcamino is saying is that our improvements really weren't the key, so even though we did that to TRY to earn a spot, it's really just metro/TV markets. I think he's going in a roundabout way to say that UTSA didn't do anything to earn the seat (without flat-out admitting it but referring to potential as well as non-money sports stuff, which we've had for years and didn't help), and UNT's attempts weren't what got us there either. Am I encapsulating this correctly, CC?

Yeah, they weren't the key. Again all those shiny facilities wouldn't have got you in if you were located in the middle of nowhere. Like I said once SMU moved to the AAC you were the obvious choice for the market, it's likely you get the call-up even without your upgrade in facilities since there's noone else below you that could represent DFW.

UTSA gave people a reason to be tabbed as a program with a lot of potential (on-field success and attendance records). We weren't handed that label. C-USA gambled on the potential and so far it's paid off. The gamble was earned imo, and we've also shown we belong.I can see how people that clawed their way in can be bitter about it though.

You keep talking about the DFW market being the main attraction that got UNT into C-USA. I see why you'd think that. And yes, I do understand the concepts of "marketing" and "fan base" and all that jazz.

I got my undergraduate degree at the third-largest university in this state, which happens to be in Houston. After the first season, in which I was a shy kid who only went to two games with a few friends from high school, the only game in Houston that I missed for the rest of my undergraduate career was when I attended a funeral. And that school, which had been having some pretty darn good football seasons and overall sports accomplishments, was flat shut out of the Big 12 when four former SWC schools made the move. (Was I confused? Yes. Bitter? Nah. I'm the oddball that always liked Houston's spot in C-USA better.) But my point is... By your logic, Houston should have been invited to the Big 12 instead of Baylor because the Houston television market is far more attractive than the Waco market. That obviously did not happen. Hell, SMU or TCU should have been invited instead of Baylor. Nope. Your argument in its context is invalid.

This point is pretty silly. Fourth largest university in the state- just barely- with over 120 years of academics and many more than ten seasons of football. Every school has its frustrating, disappointing, maddening seasons. Those are part of the "dues" that we paid.

Don't take this post as hostile. I like that UTSA has a football program. I like its spirit. I was so antsy during the first part of the Houston-UTSA game that one of my neighbors called to see what all the yelling was about. I can't believe you guys snagged Coker. But the dues... you guys just haven't paid 'em yet. And it ain't all y'all's fault that you guys got first crack at the big piece of chicken (sorry, I just couldn't resist that one, but it does fit here), but after seeing what Houston had to go through in the SWC years and UNT had to go through since I came here during the Dodge years- and knowing that longer-lived UNT fans have experienced much, much more frustration and disappointment and heartbreak than I- I'm just saying, man. Dues. Y'all haven't paid 'em. You guys were able to drive up to the window and *poof* Welcome to FBS... would you like mashed potatoes or another one of our fresh sides with that?

It's a different ball game in the Power 5. From my understanding UT and A&M blocked the big markets like Houston out of the Big 12 for their own greedy reasons. Thats doesnt happen in non-AQ conferences like C-USA. Again just take a look at the new members that came into C-USA this year (plus ODU and Charlotte) and tell me what they all have in common? Market, market, market.

If it was just market, kindly explain why they picked UTEP over UNT?

Jeez, do you know anything about college football that hasn't occurred in the last 3 years?

Maybe because both SMU and UNT for the DFW market wouldve been redundant?

Don't worry about UTSA folks, they have their facilities plans in place.

At some point (maybe 20 years down the road) I would love to build something like the Kibbie Dome. Having shade in the South Texas heat is VERY underrated. Obviously the capacity of Idaho's field is a joke but the style would be a perfect fit in my mind. I know a larger Kibbie Dome would likely be way out of the budget but than again winning cures money issues.

http://www.rowdytalk.com/showthread.php/3535-Advice-for-UTSA?p=29936&viewfull=1#post29936

So there you go, if they can just win for about twenty years, they might be able to build a Kibbie Dome. They got this.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, they weren't the key. Again all those shiny facilities wouldn't have got you in if you were located in the middle of nowhere. Like I said once SMU moved to the AAC you were the obvious choice for the market, it's likely you get the call-up even without your upgrade in facilities since there's noone else below you that could represent DFW.

UTSA gave people a reason to be tabbed as a program with a lot of potential (on-field success and attendance records). We weren't handed that label. C-USA gambled on the potential and so far it's paid off. The gamble was earned imo, and we've also shown we belong.I can see how people that clawed their way in can be bitter about it though.

It's a different ball game in the Power 5. From my understanding UT and A&M blocked the big markets like Houston out of the Big 12 for their own greedy reasons. Thats doesnt happen in non-AQ conferences like C-USA. Again just take a look at the new members that came into C-USA this year (plus ODU and Charlotte) and tell me what they all have in common? Market, market, market.

Maybe because both SMU and UNT for the DFW market wouldve been redundant?

You realize that most all of the top football programs, especially in the South are in the middle of nowhere, yes?

Let me start out by saying this. Most of yall are level headed and see both sides of the argument. I see both as well. Furthermore, we are in C-USA whether you like it or not. This is not the Big 12, SEC, or Big 10. It is a MID-MAJOR conference that lost, or will be losing key members and needed to find programs that showed promise for the future. Please excuse UTSA from breathing the same air and being in the same MID-MAJOR conference as the almighty, untouchable UNT. UTSA did not ask for, nor does it need UNT's permission to do anything. We do not view our program as being "better" or "above" anyone else, UNT included. in We know we are INCREDIBLY fortunate for everything that has happened in these short 4 yrs.

Some of yall are simply afraid that UTSA will leapfrog you in the coming years and leave you behind. Deny it all you want.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let me start out by saying this. Most of yall are level headed and see both sides of the argument. I see both as well. Furthermore, we are in C-USA whether you like it or not. This is not the Big 12, SEC, or Big 10. It is a MID-MAJOR conference that lost, or will be losing key members and needed to find programs that showed promise for the future. Please excuse UTSA from breathing the same air and being in the same MID-MAJOR conference as the almighty, untouchable UNT. UTSA did not ask for, nor does it need UNT's permission to do anything. We do not view our program as being "better" or "above" anyone else, UNT included. in We know we are INCREDIBLY fortunate for everything that has happened in these short 4 yrs.

Some of yall are simply afraid that UTSA will leapfrog you in the coming years and leave you behind. Deny it all you want.

Robin-Lopez-Suns-Bench-Shock-Reaction.gi

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

ahhahahahahahahahaha

hah

ha

no