Here's what worries me about UTSA

Harry

Sup guys. UTSA fan here. Can't wait to make the trip down to Apogee and check out yalls badass stadium. Should be a great game. Yall are better than UTSA, but we've found ways to pull wins out that we shouldn't have against better competition. Both teams having a bye week before the showdown might make for less offensive fireworks than we are hoping for. By the way, I'm all for some trash talk. It may have gotten out of hand at times, but that is to be expected from passionate fanbases. Yall stop by our tailgating spot on gameday and have a cold beer. Peace

• Upvote 5

Sorry, at some point the trash gets to me. Tonight is not my night.

All I can say is that this fanbase is really good at making me want to never come back to another game when I graduate in December. Should've taken KRAM's advice.

Prozac.

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

• Upvote 1

Sup guys. UTSA fan here. Can't wait to make the trip down to Apogee and check out yalls badass stadium. Should be a great game. Yall are better than UTSA, but we've found ways to pull wins out that we shouldn't have against better competition. Both teams having a bye week before the showdown might make for less offensive fireworks than we are hoping for. By the way, I'm all for some trash talk. It may have gotten out of hand at times, but that is to be expected from passionate fanbases. Yall stop by our tailgating spot on gameday and have a cold beer. Peace

Welcome, nice to see a rational fan. Looking forward to the game myself. Your team has proven to be quite salty throughout the season, but I am expecting this game to look like a lot of ours have lately. Closer in the first half, and wearing down your guys in the second. We grind it out in the second half and use that to wear out defenses.

Make sure you visit Poppy's Kettle corn in the stadium. Some of the best popcorn you will ever eat. Also check out Beth Marie's ice cream in the stadium. We have built a nice new stadium, enjoy it while you are here.

• Upvote 1

This seems to have gone from tough but light hearted razzing to something else. I know I'm no moderator, but I personally don't want to see people getting hurt over some smack talk about a game. I hope this can cool down a few degrees.

This! Come on folks...it's college football and it is meant to be fun. Let's show some respect both ways. This could be developing into a great rival game for years to come. One where the opposing fans enjoy the banter and actually meet up at tailgates to enjoy the day and game. Sort of like I recall the LaLa fans...still sorry LaLa is not in C-USA....so, please, let's all dial this back a few notches and get back to having fun.

For me, I think UTSA has done a nice job of starting a program and has shown some toughness and some pretty darn good play. So, should be a good game at Apogee. It will be an even better game experience if we all play nice and stop with the over the top juvenile stuff.

Football=Fun=rival games with Texas teams=even more fun. If, of course, everyone keeps their perspective about the who thing.

Now...welcome to Apogee, Roadrunner fans. Enjoy the whole experience, just not the final score! Mean Green pluck the Roadrunners in this one...38-17. Note: I made it over 33 points so I could get another free car wash...supposed to rain in Denton this weekend and my car might get messy again!

• Upvote 3

My preliminary thoughts on the score are...

I see you guys putting up right around the 20-24 mark... and if that holds true, I think we can squeak out 26-30. All in all, my bye week prediction is:

UTSA 28

UNT 23

with UTSA in the victory formation for the final 3 plays.

UNT may be in victory formation the whole 4th qtr.

• Upvote 1

I see you guys putting up right around the 20-24 mark... and if that holds true, I think we can squeak out 26-30. All in all, my bye week prediction is:

UTSA 28

UNT 23

Ball St was the only team to put up more than 3 scores on us at home. Do you honestly, in your heart of hearts, really think you could put up more? Your Marshall/Tulane games combined score doesn't even equal 28...

UTSA 28

UNT 23

Only one team has scored more than 28 points against the North Texas Defense. If you said 21 points by UTSA I would not have almost spit coffee all over my monitor.

Ball St was the only team to put up more than 3 scores on us at home. Do you honestly, in your heart of hearts, really think you could put up more? Your Marshall/Tulane games combined score doesn't even equal 28...

Only one team has scored more than 28 points against the North Texas Defense. If you said 21 points by UTSA I would not have almost spit coffee all over my monitor.

Ok... so I'm thinking you guys are pretty confident in your defense? I do agree that it is a great defense... no disagreement there.

However, I do believe that our bye week is worth 7 points off a special play created just for this game (after reviewing all the film, and finding and/or designing a new play specifically attacking your weakness.. whatever it may be). That leaves me with predicting 3 traditional scores.... which I don't think is out of line. Maybe one of the 3 is a field goal instead of a td. I see 24 points or more for us in this game. It'll be on our defense to keep ya'll below that mark.

Edited by warcat

Ok... so I'm thinking you guys are pretty confident in your defense? I do agree that it is a great defense... no disagreement there.

However, I do believe that our bye week is worth 7 points off a special play created just for this game (after reviewing all the film, and finding and/or designing a new play specifically attacking your weakness.. whatever it may be). That leaves me with predicting 3 traditional scores.... which I don't think is out of line. Maybe one of the 3 is a field goal instead of a td. I see 24 points or more for us in this game. It'll be on our defense to keep ya'll below that mark.

The extra 7 days gives your offensive players 7 more days to review game film and realize just how hard and often they are going to get hit.

They may actually quit by the second qtr.

Edited by UNT90

So our bye week doesn't count for any points?

Under your line of thinking our defense and special teams should each get a TD as a result of the bye-week. I'll go out on a limb with a Pick 6 and a Punt Return for a TD. We'll have three other scores by our offense -- two by ground and one by air giving out a possible total of 5 TDs in the game. Throw in a FG and I see North Texas scoring 38 points. That would put us slightly above our season average for home games, which is 35 points scored over the past 5 games.

Edited by UNTFan23

Under your line of thinking our defense and special teams should each get a TD as a result of the bye-week. I'll go out on a limb with a Pick 6 and a Punt Return for a TD. We'll have three other scores by our offense -- two by ground and one by air giving out a possible total of 5 TDs in the game. Throw in a FG and I see North Texas scoring 38 points. That would put us slightly above our season average for home games, which is 35 points scored over the past 5 games.

If I were the special teams coach on the UTSA squad, I would practice hard on nullifying your special teams. That would be via sideline punts, and out of the endzone kickoffs... and also on emphasizing blocking on our field goal attempts. It is very important to make sure the UNT special teams is nullified in this game.

Edited by warcat

If I were the special teams coach on the UTSA squad, I would practice hard on nullifying your special teams. That would be via sideline punts, and out of the endzone kickoffs... and also on emphasizing blocking on our field goal attempts. It is very important to make sure the UNT special teams is nullified in this game.

Since you'll only be kicking off ONCE, that should help.

• Upvote 1

Since you'll only be kicking off ONCE, that should help.

Lol... Nice one... zing!

I am somewhat concerned about your defense in reality. Marshall is ranked toward the top of CUSA defensively as is UNT. Marshall did keep us in check... although that game did come off what was a disappointing loss that should've been a milestone win. I think the team was down in the dumps, on top of traveling to a tough stadium... and also missing one of our main playmakers.

Coming into the UNT game, the boys are on a high, and coming off the bye week, they'll be ready to roll. UNT should see the best of what UTSA has to offer.

The way I would rank our opponenets

Tier1
Georgia

Ball State

Tier2

Rice

MTSU

UTSA

Tier3

LaTech

Tulsa

USM

Ohio

Idaho

UTEP

LaTech seems to be getting things together, so I was gonna swap them with UTSA. UTSA wins look okay, but they don't have enough games against quality opponents to have a better handle. Can't consider Tulane. I just have no bearing on those schizos.

UTSA game depends on

1) How their offense fairs against our D (do they break 20?)

2) Which UNT Offense shows up? DT looked awful against UTEP.

I think we're good for 14 points between ST and D scores.

• Upvote 1

The way I would rank our opponenets

Tier1

Georgia

Ball State

Tier2

Rice

MTSU

UTSA

Tier3

LaTech

Tulsa

USM

Ohio

Idaho

UTEP

LaTech seems to be getting things together, so I was gonna swap them with UTSA. UTSA wins look okay, but they don't have enough games against quality opponents to have a better handle. Can't consider Tulane. I just have no bearing on those schizos.

UTSA game depends on

1) How their offense fairs against our D (do they break 20?)

2) Which UNT Offense shows up? DT looked awful against UTEP.

Good analysis. Mac said he was going to work on fundamentals this week. Should help the team iron out some kinks and give DT a chance to get back the rhythm he had for some of the games this year.