Attendance - 26K+

shaft

Great attendance and great win! Keep it going. I hope UNT gets to the title game.

Yes, UTEP always seems to travel well. Too bad they're so beaten down that they didn't represent in Denton. UTSA won't bring too much. They support locally but I've heard that many of them are local residents and not devoted alumni. The ones I know that attend UTSA are in the CAP program and trying to maintain a 3.2 GPA so they can go to UT-Austin. Otherwise, they claim UT as their school despite what their diploma says.

• Upvote 1

Happen to notice that UNT outdrew the mighty Roadrunners yesterday.

Shine wearing off?

They need/needed to get on a winning tear right from the start to capitalize on the early momentum and novelty. The next couple of years will be crucial for that program IMO. If they're meh or bad the novelty will deteriorate and it'll become apathetic like a lot of other schools struggle with.

• Upvote 1

Probably around 24.5k real numbers.

Ticket office needs to do a better job when a big crowd comes out. Will call took forever when I went to pick up the extra ticket right at kickoff. Didn't get in the game until almost the end of the 1st quarter. It's show your ID and get your ticket, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Something they need to work on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Start of 2nd Half.

If you look closely you see how spread out people are in the areas that appear to be reasonably full, 26k is only 4 thousand short of completely full. The sides and the upper levels looked similar to this on the alumni side. You realize the entire wing could easily fit in the sections below it if there was a butt in every seat. I am just not on the green punch.

Not trying to be negative

They need/needed to get on a winning tear right from the start to capitalize on the early momentum and novelty. The next couple of years will be crucial for that program IMO. If they're meh or bad the novelty will deteriorate and it'll become apathetic like a lot of other schools struggle with.

Looking at our attendance trends the 4th and 5th home games have always been a bit lower but with the spikes from the beginning of year and the last game of the season attendance will be fine. Season ticket sales have increased year over year and there is no reason for that to stop. We only graduate 11 seniors and only 4 starters after this year so the team will be even stronger in 2014. I think this is a bit premature for attendance smack talk considering we will still end up with the 2nd highest average attendance in CUSA after ECU. Congrats on the spike in attendance but I'm sure it’s directly correlated to being the conference leaders. Hopefully UNT can continue to do well and attendance will continue to improve.

• Upvote 2

Looking at our attendance trends the 4th and 5th home games have always been a bit lower but with the spikes from the beginning of year and the last game of the season attendance will be fine. Season ticket sales have increased year over year and there is no reason for that to stop. We only graduate 11 seniors and only 4 starters after this year so the team will be even stronger in 2014. I think this is a bit premature for attendance smack talk considering we will still end up with the 2nd highest average attendance in CUSA after ECU. Congrats on the spike in attendance but I'm sure it’s directly correlated to being the conference leaders. Hopefully UNT can continue to do well and attendance will continue to improve.

Do all of the season tickets come with potato wedges or can I substitute macaroni or french fries?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It absolutely is and I don't think anybody will deny that. And honestly I'm not doing any smack tack attendance wise. I'm just stating what I think is the struggle the majority of college FB programs through in terms of attendance. If UNT keeps on winning and stays consistent for several years then yes we'll be one of those schools that has a chance to become something really really big. But if we go back to say 3-9 next season then whatever momentum that was built up this season will be lost. All I am saying is that UTSA is still in a honeymoon phase with football. For it to stay good or get better you'll have to put a good and winning product on the field. If not then you'll be in the same boat most other CFB programs struggle with including NT.

• Upvote 1

It absolutely is and I don't think anybody will deny that. And honestly I'm not doing any smack tack attendance wise. I'm just stating what I think is the struggle the majority of college FB programs through in terms of attendance. If UNT keeps on winning and stays consistent for several years then yes we'll be one of those schools that has a chance to become something really really big. But if we go back to say 3-9 next season then whatever momentum that was built up this season will be lost. All I am saying is that UTSA is still in a honeymoon phase with football. For it to stay good or get better you'll have to put a good and winning product on the field. If not then you'll be in the same boat most other CFB programs struggle with including NT.

Cool I agree. The issue is that UTSA has yet to have a bad season considering everyone thinks we are only capable of winning 1 game a season. ODU just beat Idaho for their first FBS win this weekend. It took several seasons. UTSA won its first FBS came last year as a team of mostly sophomores. Based on the early success of UTSA in the WAC last year and in CUSA this year I see no reason why performance would wain in upcoming years. UTSA and UNT are already battling for the same recruits. We are right there or possibly just a step behind. Everyone laughed at UTSA preseason but I think we are proving that we are able to compete right now. UTSA will be a factor in the west for years to come. San Antonio’s support of this team is growing exponentially and ticket sales should as well.

My philosophy is to root for the conference. I want UNT to continue to do well because it’s great for CUSA. That includes not only record but also attendance. Hopefully the fans are buying into what McCarney is doing with this football team. The best way to tell is to look at the season ticket sales next year.

Just as a quick note of how we're doing, right now through five games the average is 21,369. If somehow UTSA produces about the same size crowd as UTEP, we'll end the regular season at right around 22k for an average. That Ball State game in the middle of the day really killed the numbers. Without that game, we'd be at 23,025.

For reference, even including the Texas Tech game, SMU is averaging 21,279, just very slightly less than UNT. Take out that Texas Tech game, and they're averaging 16,776.

It's amazing to see what a conference with three other Texas teams and some winning does. If Mac can keep the good times going next year, it's easy to see an average north of 25k.

A fellow alum agreed with me yesterday that whoever is in charge of promotions and marketing at UNT should be (without delay and taking a week to think about it) pulling out the stops to fill Apogee for our team's last home game in 2 weeks.

Coach McCarney may have glanced at Iowa State's attendance in the Sunday AM boxscore and in his former employer's game against TCU saw that the "1 win" Cyclones had 56,000 at their stadium last Saturday. I think that is the source of his frustration and not being able to understand why North Texas does not put 31,000 in our stadium every Game Day. Can you blame him? Coach Mac, his assistants and our Mean Green football team deserve no less.

Because of where our school is located with impressive UNT constituency numbers at every turn, we do have all the necessary resources to make the below 2 listed criteria happen. Amazing that some would still attempt to make excuses as to why we cannot while UTSA, ODU (superb season tickets sales), etc, etc, etc,............are making it happen.

The NCAA FBS programs that are moving forward, upward, etc, etc, etc, have done mostly 2 things:

(1) Have impressive season ticket sales each Fall

(2) Impressive attendance every Game Day (no matter the W/L record).

UTSA has not received national pub because of their wins (which are slowly rising) but have with their impressive attendance numbers. Even one of their interviewers on the TV program that follows our FSSW show asked their AD (and I liberally paraphrase): "With how quickly we are advancing our football program, do we have another conference that we can upgrade to?"

Those who meet the criteria as listed above go forward and usually into more high profile conferences eventually, but those who stay the same..........stay right where they are or where they've been.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Just as a quick note of how we're doing, right now through five games the average is 21,369. If somehow UTSA produces about the same size crowd as UTEP, we'll end the regular season at right around 22k for an average. That Ball State game in the middle of the day really killed the numbers. Without that game, we'd be at 23,025.

For reference, even including the Texas Tech game, SMU is averaging 21,279, just very slightly less than UNT. Take out that Texas Tech game, and they're averaging 16,776.

It's amazing to see what a conference with three other Texas teams and some winning does. If Mac can keep the good times going next year, it's easy to see an average north of 25k.

Love your data driven mind -- I truly do.