UTEP switching quarterbacks, going with freshman Mark Leftwich

Harry

Look on pages 135-136:

That falls under the activities waiver such as mission work, the Olympics etc.

I'm on my phone and its difficult to search. Seems like I remember seeing something about a sixth year but I'm still not sure? The conference has the say on MHW, then if they refuse it an appeal is sent to the competition committee...is NCAA.

I'll keep searching.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That falls under the activities waiver such as mission work, the Olympics etc.

No, that's talking about any kind of waiver to the 5-year rule. Yes, it includes the activities you're mentioning, but notice that what I quoted was under the heading "Additional Waivers," i.e., not including the aforementioned.

Seems like I remember seeing something about a sixth year but I'm still not sure? The conference has the say on MHW, then if they refuse it an appeal is sent to the competition committee...is NCAA.

Rick, I think you're still confused on the difference between a medical hardship waiver and a 6th year of eligibility. A medical hardship waiver (commonly called a "medical redshirt") allows a player who has played in a certain portion of the season (I think it's 1/3) who is then injured to receive an additional 5th year of eligibility. That's exactly what Derek received in 2010.

But then there is a waiver of the 5-year rule, allowing a 6th year of eligibility, and that must be granted by the NCAA.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

In all of this salivating over how much our defense is going to eat this young man alive, has anyone looked at how talented this young man might be? His HS team won a championship in Pennsylvania. He was given an opportunity to play D-1 football despite being only 5'10". His father is a D-1 head coach and a former college starter on a 1-aa team that went very deep into the playoffs. So this kid should not be easily intimidated and/or rattled.

Something has to be pretty special about this kid for the coach to make the decision to pull his redshirt. Can someone please post an honest assessment of this young man based on his HS career? Is he fast? Does he have a great arm?......what!?!?

You mostly just described Riley's high school resume. Ole glass jaw.

No, that's talking about any kind of waiver to the 5-year rule. Yes, it includes the activities you're mentioning, but notice that what I quoted was under the heading "Additional Waivers," i.e., not including the aforementioned.

Rick, I think you're still confused on the difference between a medical hardship waiver and a 6th year of eligibility. A medical hardship waiver (commonly called a "medical redshirt") allows a player who has played in a certain portion of the season (I think it's 1/3) who is then injured to receive an additional 5th year of eligibility. That's exactly what Derek received in 2010.

But then there is a waiver of the 5-year rule, allowing a 6th year of eligibility, and that must be granted by the NCAA.

You may be right? I'm simply under the impression that since every MHW must first go through your conference that they too can give the 6th year also?

Rick