UTEP switching quarterbacks, going with freshman Mark Leftwich

Harry

PLEASE try the option on UNT's defense. Pretty please.

Some teams have tried to run it, and I can only recall negative yardage as the result. Our guys are extremely fast to the outside, and are disciplined in their assignments/tackling.

Rice kept trying , but it ended in the same result.

Hoping this game turns out similar to Southern Miss.. I like to see the underclassmen get it on the action

• Upvote 2

Watching the highlight tape I had a few thoughts come to mind.

1. He threw the ball into some really TIGHT spots. If he tries that at the collegiate level could be a much different result.

2. I don't think that service did him any favors with the highlights. He hit wide open receivers in the flat. Ok.

3. I was impressed with some of the RAC of his receivers. Looked pretty elusive.

I don't want to take anything away from the kid as he had gaudy numbers and was the PA player of the year. But that highlight video didn't really look that impressive. I'm sure he is intelligent being the son of Lefty and of course has a fair amount of talent. I hope we clamp down on that offense early.

PLEASE try the option on UNT's defense. Pretty please.

Some teams have tried to run it, and I can only recall negative yardage as the result. Our guys are extremely fast to the outside, and are disciplined in their assignments/tackling.

It would be very bad for UTEP if they attempted to run the option.

My boss caught the Rice game on replay and his quote was "that is the fastest defense I've ever seen."

Edited by meangreener

Something has to be pretty special about this kid for the coach to make the decision to pull his redshirt. Can someone please post an honest assessment of this young man based on his HS career? Is he fast? Does he have a great arm?......what!?!?

What's special here is apparent nepotism.

As revealed in Vito's latest post, while Lil' Leftwich was on a Championship run in PA, Sean Kugler's son was one of his offensive linemen. Kugler goes to UTEP, brings along Leftwich and his son.

The only reasoning one could make for Kugler's decision is that he knows Lil' Leftwich and his ability, decision making, etc. far further than just his highlight reel, and probably more so on a personal level.

However, that reasoning still flies in the face of logic. And our defense is going to apply a whole hell of a lot of logic in two days.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2

Maybe it was... all the more reason to know that it isn't a smart move if it was only good for one person.

Clearly it was a bad decision. We still lost the game and burned a kids shirt in the process.

Ultimately it was inconsequential as Thompson is still starting for us as a 5th year senior.

Maybe.... or couldn't he have received a medical redshirt the one year he was injured. Thus putting yet another year of experience and then become a 6 year bad ass?!?!?!?!?!!?

That's not how it works. You don't typically get to take a redshirt one season and a medical redshirt in another. It's one or the other.

Mack approached Kugler about playing in this game. It was a collective decision that all parties have had time to consider and weigh the options.

Also, Mack has been breaking down game film probably longer than most of his teammates have even played the game. He will be challenged no doubt, but he is salivating over the challenge and will do his best to meet it. They will try to eliminate the risks for him, using their ground game and just ask him to hit the tightends short all night. I don't see them letting him throw outs or throw deep? If this shakes out as expected this could be Marcus Trice's greatest Tackle total game of his career from the run support he will see.

Rick

He's going to find there is a big difference between this NT defense and high school. He can see how this same thing worked out for SoMiss.

Wish Dodge had understood that when he came to UNT... He had high school coaches working with the defense...... it turned out badly.

He would have qualified for both had the conference agreed to his MHW after his injury.

Rick

The NCAA has to approve a 6th year of eligibility. And I've only seen that granted in pretty extraordinary circumstances. It is only granted when a player has missed two seasons because of circumstances beyond the player's control. And taking a redshirt does not qualify as being beyond the player's control.

The NCAA has to approve a 6th year of eligibility. And I've only seen that granted in pretty extraordinary circumstances. It is only granted when a player has missed two seasons because of circumstances beyond the player's control. And taking a redshirt does not qualify as being beyond the player's control.

You mean the conference has to approve it.

14.2.4 Hardship waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the confer- ence or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of hardship. Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised: 8/8/02, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Rick

No, only the NCAA can approve a 6th year of eligibility.

EDIT:

The NCAA has granted a sixth year of eligibility to Houston quarterback Case Keenum,

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6022570

Penn State tight end-turned-offensive lineman Garry Gilliam has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/02/11/penn-states-gilliam-granted-6th-year-of-eligibility/

He missed the entire 2010 and 2011 seasons while recovering from three separate surgeries, making him eligible for a medical hardship waiver from the NCAA.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21570546

(The terminology in that last one is a little confusing, as he was granted two medical hardship waivers).

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Rick

Again, a medical hardship waiver does not guarantee a 6th year of eligibility. It allows someone to play in parts of 5 different seasons, something a redshirt does not allow. The 6th year of eligibility is something else altogether, and is granted only by the NCAA.

No, only the NCAA can approve a 6th year of eligibility.

EDIT:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6022570

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/02/11/penn-states-gilliam-granted-6th-year-of-eligibility/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21570546

(The terminology in that last one is a little confusing, as he was granted two medical hardship waivers).

Re-read your whole post and see your quoting articles written by other Vito's who may have never read the bylaws.

Rick

Maybe.... or couldn't he have received a medical redshirt the one year he was injured. Thus putting yet another year of experience and then become a 6 year bad ass?!?!?!?!?!!?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-3-five-year-clock-ext.pdf

Good explanation there.

For an extension request to be successful, the institution requesting it on behalf of the student athlete must prove that the student-athlete was deprived of more than one season of competition

for reasons beyond his or her control.

In cases of injury, the institution must show that the student-athlete suffered injuries or illnesses that prevented him

or her from competing for two seasons.

Show me where it mentions that cause Im not seeing it.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

Rick

Look on pages 135-136:

The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may approve such additional waivers to the five-year rule as it deems appropriate

In case somebody wants to bring up Keenum.

Keenum redshirted his freshman year, played in 2007, 2008 and 2009 before tearing an ACL in the third game of the 2010 season.

In order to receive a sixth year, Houston officials had to prove that Keenum's freshman-year redshirt was due to an injury. Keenum won the appeal and went on to win his second Sammy Baugh Trophy, emblematic of college football's top passer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1587386-michigan-football-can-jake-ryan-apply-for-a-medical-redshirt

• Upvote 1

Exactly right. And I suppose it needs to be pointed out that this writer's use of "redshirt" is incorrect. If Keenum had truly redshirted (i.e., not received a medical hardship waiver) his freshman year, he would not have been under consideration for a 6th year of eligibility.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98