Rivalry Trophies and Starting a Tradition

casual fan

TCU and smu have the Iron Skillet rivalry that was started in 1946 when a tailgating smu fan was cooking frog legs prior to the game. A ticked off TCU fan bet that TCU would win the game and won the skillet, which has been passed back and forth for years.

We could use some traditions and a rivalry or two. Some possible rivalries:

1. UNT-UTSA The I-35 Rivalry. Plant an I-35 road sign in a 5 gallon bucket of cement. Winner keeps it for the year.

2. UNT-Rice The Raptor Rivalry. Sculpt a large Talon for the trophy.

3. UNT-smu Battle for the cart. An old Safeway shopping cart. or The Silver Spur....think mustangs

4. UNT- UTEP The Pecos River Rivalry. Winner gets an old cowboy boot full of dirt from the Pecos River.

Make the "Trophy" send a challenge to the other school to "come and take it."

Ideas???

Silver spoon wouldn't work. We would never want to be associated with that. I think building something with UTSA would be best. I already hate the idea of losing to them and I am not a fan of San Antonio (except the Alamo). Maybe not a sign in a bucket but we could call it the "Battle Over I35". I am sure we could come up with a good trophy with a I35 sign on it.

Series History
The idea was developed more than 10 years ago and was created to build the rivalry in athletics competition between UTSA and Texas State while bringing added attention to collegiate sports in Central Texas, especially within the I-35 Corridor. Historically, a trophy was awarded to the winner of the men’s basketball series, but starting with the 2007-08 season, the rivalry was expanded to an all-sports competition. The series looks to provide a sense of pride from each university's alumni, build school spirit among each institution's student body and increase attendance at sporting events between the two schools.

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1245922

new idea?

I do like the up coming rivalry with utsa where we beat them year end and out.

A payroll taxes form for SMU?

We could just have Ryan, on of our Regents reverse audit them. But... he probably already does that for their businesses...

SMU trophy should be a giant silver spoon.

Ha!

"apparently you guys are getting a trophy worked out for a 4-way rivalry." http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=641254

not a bad idea

Again, see: