Derek Thompson...an elephant in the room?

meangreener

He's also: #1 in C-USA in Interceptions Thrown; tied for #5 in the nation in interceptions thrown

We're supposed to be college educated around here, and smart enough to know it's not a binary choice. You can think DT is a good QB and still needs to work on his shortcomings.

Oh. Alright.

Dear Derek,

Thanks for taking us back to a bowl game. And, thank you for having a better TD to Interception ratio than Virginia Tech and Miami (FL)'s starting QBs, who have also led their teams into bowl eligibility with several games remaining on the schedule.

You are a great quarterback. Best of luck this weekend.

Keep truckin'

Sincerely,

UNT Fan Without His Head Up His Ass

• Upvote 4

Oh. Alright.

You've over corrected on the Anti DT bias. Sure, the majority of posters on here are way to hard on DT (IMHO). But that doesn't mean you have to break out the anointing oil because he is part of a successful team.

He is #51 in the NCAA in TD's Thrown, he is #5 in the nation in Interceptions Thrown. If you think that is good enough to be great, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

UNT Fan Who Isn't Scared of the Logic in His Argument and Doesn't Have to Resort to Name Calling.

• Upvote 1

So you are predicting poor qb play next year....

I'm afraid the QB position next year is going to be an absolute wildcard. We don't even know who it'll be, much less how well they'll perform. QB and Chancellor are our big losses on that side of the ball, and hopefully the other losses will at least be close to replaceable. The D is a more difficult story. Oh, and as far as DT is concerned, we're lucky to have him.

I'm afraid the QB position next year is going to be an absolute wildcard. We don't even know who it'll be, much less how well they'll perform. QB and Chancellor are our big losses on that side of the ball, and hopefully the other losses will at least be close to replaceable. The D is a more difficult story. Oh, and as far as DT is concerned, we're lucky to have him.

Qb play will be equal or better than this year. No disrespect to DT. The QBs we have should be able to build on what we have been doing. A more mobile Qb can probably do more.

At minimum, they should be able to run the same conservative game plan and we can win at least 7 games. They just need reps, need to learn the offense, and most importantly, learn to read defenses.

Qb play will be equal or better than this year. No disrespect to DT. The QBs we have should be able to build on what we have been doing. A more mobile Qb can probably do more.

At minimum, they should be able to run the same conservative game plan and we can win at least 7 games. They just need reps, need to learn the offense, and most importantly, learn to read defenses.

I sure hope so, but if anything DT has been a steady leader at running the show, and it's hard to predict how relative virgins at this level are going to perform in their first season as a starter. Having a steady DT (and special teams) along with an excellent defense has gotten us where we are IMO, and if next year's defense drops back a step, I suspect that our new QB will be called upon to open things up a bit which can be dangerous for a newbie. We shall see, but I guess I'm more concerned with UTEP at the moment.

But, I will say that you act like his turnovers haven't already hurt us. They have. We lost the Ohio game because of it.

We lost the Ohio game because we REFUSED to throw the football on 1st down the entire 1st half.

Put any QB in a position to only pass on 3rd and long, and watch every one of them be unsuccessful.

Yes, he is human and throws inteceptions. So does Peyton Manning and every other QB in the game. The problem is when DT throws an interception, this coach has the tendency to not let him throw the ball again.

At some point, you have to trust your senior QB.

DT will probably 2nd or 3rd team All- Conference this year. And yet some would rather see a kid that has never thrown a collegate pass at QB.

Just mind boggling.

• Downvote 1

Derek is a great QB. We're lucky to have him.

QB Rating: 140.0 = 3rd among C-USA starters; best in C-USA West = 49th in NCAA (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8)

Attempts: 264 = 4th among C-USA starters; 2nd best in C-USA West (Soza, 283)

Completions: 177 = 3rd among C-USA starters; 2nd best in C-USA West (Soza, 179)

Completion %: 67.0 = 2nd among C-USA starters; best in the C-USA West = 19th in NCAA (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755)

Yards Passing = 2nd among C-USA starters; best in the C-USA West = 26th in the NCAA (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/453)

TD Passes = 3rd among C-USA starters; tied for best in the C-USA West (McHargue also with 12)

Other NCAA

Completions Per Game, 33rd (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/707)

Dear Derek,

Thank you for taking us back to a bowl game. Keep truckin'.

Sincerely,

UNT Fan Without His Head Up His Ass

Don't confuse people with facts. He has led the team better than any alternatives we have right now. Sure, he could improve, but I haven't seen a player on the team who couldn't improve.

Don't confuse people with facts. He has led the team better than any alternatives we have right now. Sure, he could improve, but I haven't seen a player on the team who couldn't improve.

I'm not. Derek has always been a winner. He now has a team around him that, like him, has more positives to his game than negatives.

Dan McCarney says we are a run-first team. Fine. We are 9th in the C-USA in rushing yards per game. We are 3rd in passing yards per game.

Our pass game is efficient. And, here is something important that is overlooked: our offense is third in the C-USA (behind ECU and Marshall) in 3rd Down Conversion % at 47.5%.

Every record Derek has passed this season has come on a 3rd and at least 5.

The idea that many people here had here before the season that we should go ahead and let one of the younger guys start to get them experience waas a slap in the face to every senior on the roster. Derek has led this team well, and has been able to lead this team to a bowl. How anyone can question him now is absurd.

Do not be surprised when Derek is leading the team on the field for the Liberty Bowl.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

DT usually throws a decent deep ball and WR screen. When he throws a bad deep ball it's usually thrown far enough that it can't be picked. Last week he threw two really nice balls on wheel routes to Jimmy(although that first one could have been an easy pick if the LB hadn't been totally turned around and forced to interfere.) As long as we're in position to not ask more of him than that... He's the perfect man for the job.

Edited by Green P1

DT usually throws a decent deep ball and WR screen. When he throws a bad deep ball it's usually thrown far enough that it can't be picked. Last week he three two really nice balls on wheel routs to Jimmy(although that first one could have been an easy pick if the LB hadn't been totally turned around and forced to interfere.) As long as we're in position to not ask more of him than that... He's the perfect man for the job.

You have my favorite view of DT, and you know you're stuff so that's part of the reason (I'll get off your jock now).

People act like there's no middle ground with DT. It's either praise him as a hero or you're a DT "hater". He is a decent qb, but there's also a reason he's thrown 11 picks. A decent qb on a team that is special almost everywhere else kind of stands out.

I support the heck out of the guy and glad he's maximized his talent for us.

• Upvote 1