Derek Thompson...an elephant in the room?

meangreener

People say qbs get too much blame for losses and too much praise for wins. They're the most important position and there's a reason why their success is so directly correlated with the team's.

The defense only gave up 10 points against Tulane. DT gave up 7 on the pick six. Also, no one blames the personal fouls because they were bogus calls and a sign of assertion from a lights-out defense. You're right that we shouldn't single him out, but that's a big let down for the team. He's also helped us win 6 games through 9 so there's no need to complain. That's why no one really has.

Our receivers, running backs, o-line, defense, and special teams have been top-notch and as good as you could ask for. DT hasn't been as good as you can ask for but he's been good enough. That's why he's an "elephant in the room" and not a guy who we're calling for his replacement.

I think the biggest screw-up in the Tulane game was the blocked FG for a TD. That was a 10 point swing. DT's INT in that game was not good, but if that FG hadn't been blocked/returned, the game would have been won, despite his pick-6.

• Upvote 2

I think the biggest screw-up in the Tulane game was the blocked FG for a TD. That was a 10 point swing. DT's INT in that game was not good, but if that FG hadn't been blocked/returned, the game would have been won, despite his pick-6.

Yep

Honestly, both going the other way probably would've swung the game in our favor. That's what makes that game so frustrating, among other reasons. You never know either, since the pick six could've been a 14 point swing if we would've scored a td that drive. Just rough all around.

I developed a new appreciation for DT at the South Alabama game last year. My seats allowed me to see what he saw from near ground level. There was zero separation by any of the receivers-Peyton Manning could not have squeezed the ball in without picks. I think as his confidence continues to improve, we'll see continued improvement. I'm a fan.

I doubt we'll see corners the caliber of Rice's the rest of the way.

DT seems to be throwing better spirals and less wounded ducks. He does have some overthrows, but none have hit the wall yet and I'd rather overthrow than underthrow.

I liked that we tried some long passes against USM. Seemed like a good chance to get some practice w/o much risk of a loss. I'd like to see him get some work in the next games whenever we have things under control instead of going into complete conservative mode.

A QB that many questioned going into the first game, comes out and has a great season; and still some feel it necessary to question his ability.

How about looking at it the another way, if Thompson had not come through this year how many games would NT lost that they have won.

Thompson is having one of the best years ever by a NT QB, and I shutter to think what NT's record would be if he was not the starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A QB that many questioned going into the first game, comes out and has a great season; and still some feel it necessary to question his ability.

How about looking at it the another way, if Thompson had not come through this year how many games would NT lost that they have won.

Thompson is having one of the best years ever by a NT QB, and I shutter to think what NT's record would be if he was not the starter.

Yep

I don't shutter at what our record might be because we've been much better than most of our opponents that we've beat except for Ball State, Rice, where DT didn't do much, and wasn't asked to do much, at all but we won.

But I agree that it's silly and ridiculous to bash DT. I'm done saying critical things of his play in this thread, but just know that people being critical of his play is not the same as bashing him and calling for him to be replaced.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

A lot of his picks this year have been balls that were tipped by the receivers. He's made some great throws, and in the Idaho game, I actually was concerned when he had to leave. Clearly, he is the man for the job right now as he earned it by outplaying everyone else.

I trust DT to get it done when it matters the most. He had to live with the mistakes he made that cost em 6 wins last year and that is all the motivation he needs to do BIG things when it matters most this year.

He's not the most prolific QB, but a decent "bus driver". If Derek doesn't turn the ball over this team will win. I wasn't a supporter at the beginning, but he's done enough to keep my mouth shut the rest of this year. Besides, I would prefer to see DT 10 times out of 10 if McNulty is the backup.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

But, DT's just a kid...and kids in sports are never responsible for their actions and performance, right? It has to be someone else's fault. Where have I heard that before? I know I have heard it somewhere. Just cannot recall right now.

#get7 ...#get7againstUTEP...Go Mean Green...It's all fun when your team is winning!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Keep in mind, that when a season starts, it doesn't mean practice is over. DT still has several practices before the remaining upcoming games. And I'm sure we're not all so genius to be the ONLY ones to notice sometimes he forces a bad throw, tries to thread the tinniest of needles. DT didn't invent the "forced throw", all QBs do it, and all QBs (hopefully) have coaches that work with them in practice and sit in the film room and show them what they're doing wrong. LIke a lot of you, when I heard we landed a big-framed QB from Glen Rose, I thought, "Thank God, FINALLY, we have a Division 1 sized QB!" Then I was less impressed as in the past couple of years, and was ready to toss him aside. But now, I realize DT isn't perfect, but watch the guy play, watch him in the locker room in the Beyond the Green films...He's a prime example of focus, self evaluation and commitment. He's a solid QB with some faults and one helluva leader. That alone proves to me he's EARNED the job, and I stand behind the choice to keep him in there going forward.

I feel like when we talk about Derek it always turns into a conversation of whether or not he deserves the job or if he is good enough to help UNT win. Blah blah, blah...... Dude earned his job and he deserved it period. He has done a great job this year of showing improvement and helping UNT win games.

To me the conversation with this whole thread and all other threads where negativity or concerns might arise should be about the offense as a whole and not just one particular player. That includes the HC and all the offensive staff, and all the players. Game plan, execution, play calling and so on

My concerns are this... if faced in a situation where we need to make a drive or multiple drives to stay in or win games do we have what it takes. Because at the level our offense is performing it has become a concern. I'll say this we know our offense can function with a lead late in a game so far, but what happens when we absolutely need them. Or what about when we have a lead and go back to our watered down offense and then all of sudden we lose the lead. How does the offense react then?

I just want to see better execution out of the offense that includes DT, Chico, the OL, RB and everybody else. Until I see it, I'm going to be concerned.

• Upvote 1

Someone remind me, in the Tulane game where a D-Lineman tipped DT's pass that was returned for a touchdown, how was DT supposed to have avoided that? How was that silly ass play call his doing?

And in the Rice game when he hit the receiver IN THE HANDS what improper ead did he make there? What mechanics issue was responsible fir that?

Someone remind me, in the Tulane game where a D-Lineman tipped DT's pass that was returned for a touchdown, how was DT supposed to have avoided that? How was that silly ass play call his doing?

And in the Rice game when he hit the receiver IN THE HANDS what improper ead did he make there? What mechanics issue was responsible fir that?

Wow...I actually think we agree! I had to look outside to see if the sky was falling or if we were being invaded by flying pigs...nope! Yep...good points Lt.

I think this entire thread topic is a circle-jerk distraction. As many have said, DT earned his spot and I value the football knowledge and perspective of the coaching staff over armchair internet coaches.

Does that go for basketball as well? Just asking...... :-)

I will speak to the Tulane play. He could have avoided it by throwing it away. How is it silly play calling if the play was open? If the pass was delivered on time Jimmerson picks up positive yardage. The DT didn't notice it was a screen until DT held it for an extra second. Again if you don't feel confident and comfortable in delivering the pass just throw it away.

Derek is a great QB. We're lucky to have him.

QB Rating: 140.0 = 3rd among C-USA starters; best in C-USA West = 49th in NCAA (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8)
Attempts: 264 = 4th among C-USA starters; 2nd best in C-USA West (Soza, 283)
Completions: 177 = 3rd among C-USA starters; 2nd best in C-USA West (Soza, 179)
Completion %: 67.0 = 2nd among C-USA starters; best in the C-USA West = 19th in NCAA (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755)
Yards Passing = 2nd among C-USA starters; best in the C-USA West = 26th in the NCAA (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/453)

TD Passes = 3rd among C-USA starters; tied for best in the C-USA West (McHargue also with 12)

Other NCAA

Completions Per Game, 33rd (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/707)

Dear Derek,

Thank you for taking us back to a bowl game. Keep truckin'.

Sincerely,

UNT Fan Without His Head Up His Ass

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

(http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/453)

TD Passes = 3rd among C-USA starters; tied for best in the C-USA West (McHargue also with 12)

Sincerely,

UNT Fan Without His Head Up His Ass

He's also: #1 in C-USA in Interceptions Thrown; tied for #5 in the nation in interceptions thrown

We're supposed to be college educated around here, and smart enough to know it's not a binary choice. You can think DT is a good QB and still needs to work on his shortcomings.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We are averaging 7.9 yards per pass attempt and over 11 yards per completion on the season.

Thursday vs Rice we averaged 8 yards per attempt and 14 yards per completion.

We take what the defense gives us, grind the game with our ground game, win the field position battle, play back-breaking defense and put the opponent to sleep with two sets of the game...(the offense and defense) using about 38-40 players to do it with.....the quarterback included. I would have thought as Mean Green fans more people would have understood this by now?

As for DT, your all going to appreciate him a whole lot more about 9 months from now.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1