Student attendance question

Stan R

I would love to predict that there will be even 25000 people there but I don't even think they will reach that mark in each of these next two games. The numbers will increase but just not by that standard. Remember how much of a commuter school UNT is and how many non-traditional students there are at this University. 36,000 students yes, but hardly a fraction of them live on campus.

UNT wont have 28000 or sellouts on a consistent basis until housing on and around campus is increased. the stadium opener against Houston is going to be Apogee's highest mark for a while, but there is no reason to constantly try and get more people at these games.

Not starting anything with you, just want to say unless you can provide some factual evidence to support this statement...this post seems terribly misinformed.

So even if we were a "commuter" school which clearly is not is there an excuse not attending a game or wanting to attend?

I have a lot of friends that are from and live in the Austin area and when they went to UT they commuted. In fact a crap load of UT students don't live on campus and are in fact commuters.

I would love to predict that there will be even 25000 people there but I don't even think they will reach that mark in each of these next two games. The numbers will increase but just not by that standard. Remember how much of a commuter school UNT is and how many non-traditional students there are at this University. 36,000 students yes, but hardly a fraction of them live on campus.

UNT wont have 28000 or sellouts on a consistent basis until housing on and around campus is increased. the stadium opener against Houston is going to be Apogee's highest mark for a while, but there is no reason to constantly try and get more people at these games.

You seem very short sighted in your observations. Keep digging.

Valliant attempt at a troll.

From the screen name to the commuter school label.

Bravo BMed...

or should I say Cerebus...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Just an observation over time, for the most part if we have nice weather on Homecoming we usually have a great student turnout. Especially if the team is doing well.

I don't see a drop in student turnout if the weather forecast stays the same.

Failed bit alert.

Someone give this idiot a -1 for me. I used all mine on the Chicken Fried State trolls.

• Upvote 3

I stopped reading when you called us a commuter school. There is no reason to try and fix attendance? That's an odd statement.

NT Daily.........:/

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Im' going 28,000 without metropolitan area promotion. A billboard here or there, an ad or two in the DMN, a few short spots on radio and TV along with awareness promos for the ATrain and we add two or three thousand.

• Upvote 1

With all of the student apartment complexes and other forms of housing in addition to the dorms, my best guess would be around 15,000 students live on or directly around the campus. I'm sure the actual number is out there somewhere...maybe even in the master plan, which I haven't read all

The way through yet. Commuter school? Not so fast my friend.

With all of the student apartment complexes and other forms of housing in addition to the dorms, my best guess would be around 15,000 students live on or directly around the campus.

I would actually guess a higher amount live near campus than that. Regardless, even if we have 10k living outside of Denton, I'm not sure how that makes us a commuter school when we still have a lot more students near campus.

• Upvote 1

UNT wont have 28000 or sellouts on a consistent basis until housing on and around campus is increased. the stadium opener against Houston is going to be Apogee's highest mark for a while, but there is no reason to constantly try and get more people at these games

At one point in time it was a commuter school, but now there are as high a percentage of beds on campus as almost every other school in the state. A significant number of people after that live in Denton city limits. I hate when people act like other schools have 25,000 people living on campus. That's not the case anywhere.

Just complete ignorance.

He works at the NT Daily. Do you really expect any research to be conducted for the story?

There is so much truth in this statement. One or two reporters have recently redeemed themselves in my eyes, but the majority are little more than TMZ-level in doing the due diligence with their job and class work.

I would actually guess a higher amount live near campus than that. Regardless, even if we have 10k living outside of Denton, I'm not sure how that makes us a commuter school when we still have a lot more students near campus.

I once read something that roughly 75% of our students live within 10 miles of campus.

I think commuters call this place a commuter school just to make themselves feel better.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

16% of our enrollment(5,781) live on campus in 14 residence halls.

That's a 3% higher percentage of enrollment living on our campus than what is claimed by UT Austin living on their campus.

Hardly a commuter school.

Rick

Very good point, Rick. I have said it before and I will say it again, we are not, nor have we ever been a commuter school. Do commuters go here? Of course- as they do at most schools, but as long as I can remember our dorms have been full and we are almost constantly building new ones, Commuter school, indeed. It is time that rank old canard was put to rest.

The NT Daily has something called "Slash" on Friday afternoons where the students and their advisor go over that week's papers and talk about what they did right and what they screwed up. Did I mention it's open for you all to show up and chime in?

Problem is, the entire time is spent on what they screw up.

• Upvote 1