Student attendance question

Stan R

So... the attendance at the halloween game was obviously great and all, but my question is how much of that was because the game was during a weekday?

I hate to sound negative on this, but will we have a drop off on weekend games for the rest of this season? Will we have the same or better attendance? I'm pretty sure that the Alumni side will be better on weekends but the students are an enigma.

How much of that was the coolness factor of dressing up for halloween, the fact that it was an "event" or all of the above? It was just way too cool to have that densely packed side blowing us away with the North Texas cheer. I'm worried we won't see that again for some time.

meanergreener, please reassure me with your youthful over-optimism. Please reassure me with predictions of a 29,000 fan near sellout. I know it won't happen, but when you say it I almost believe it. :shifty:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

Nonsense! We must debate things we cannot change so that we can be 100% sure that we may or may not be able to probably NOT CHANGE THEM!

Alright I am going out on a limb here. I generally take the under when it comes to attendance, but for this game I predict 30k. Yep that's right I think all the ingredients are there. Big win the week prior, Homecoming (normally our largest crowd), students really buying-in, good weather, and an opponent that travels well.

I used the 22k from last game as a baseline

+3k UTEP fans.... bit of a stretch but did we not hear they sold 1800 tickets by last week?
I think student attendance will be flat to last game which was great
Homecoming adds 5k additional alums that have been taking notice and can't think of a better way to spend a nice day.

I will tell you right now, UNT fans are coming out of the woodwork for this UTEP game and the UTSA game will be packed.

I just purchased two single game seats to the UTSA game from Tori in the ticket office. I asked if the phone calls for tickets has increased since the Rice game. She said the phones have been ringing non stop since 830 AM this morning.

• Upvote 4

Pretty much every student living on campus was there. Or directly close to campus. I'm doubtful there will be any difference.

Overstatement.

Definitely good student attendance. I think we see a slight drop this weekend in student attendance, but it will be made up by a much bigger increase in attendance due to winning football and homecoming.

I have 4 college friends that I have been trying to get to a game for forever who are coming for the UTEP game. And they called me. Interest is up a little nog alums, at least in my little slice of the world, but mist keep the momentum going for this to continue.

Winning out is vital to this program for so many reasons

• Upvote 4

The Rice game was the longest it ever is has ever taken me to get out of the parking lot at Fouts Field. It was a welcome and great problem to have. I hope it takes even longer for the UTEP game.

yep...it was great...got to celebrate the victory and chat it up with fellow tailgaters until the lots cleared...plus, i still had beer to drink...

• Upvote 1

I would love to predict that there will be even 25000 people there but I don't even think they will reach that mark in each of these next two games. The numbers will increase but just not by that standard. Remember how much of a commuter school UNT is and how many non-traditional students there are at this University. 36,000 students yes, but hardly a fraction of them live on campus.

UNT wont have 28000 or sellouts on a consistent basis until housing on and around campus is increased. the stadium opener against Houston is going to be Apogee's highest mark for a while, but there is no reason to constantly try and get more people at these games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 18

I would love to predict that there will be even 25000 people there but I don't even think they will reach that mark in each of these next two games. The numbers will increase but just not by that standard. Remember how much of a commuter school UNT is and how many non-traditional students there are at this University. 36,000 students yes, but hardly a fraction of them live on campus.

UNT wont have 28000 or sellouts on a consistent basis until housing on and around campus is increased. the stadium opener against Houston is going to be Apogee's highest mark for a while, but there is no reason to constantly try and get more people at these games.

We managed 22k for a Thursday night game. Asking 3k more to show up for a Saturday afternoon game shouldn't be that hard to do.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

We had 24k at Fouts for Rice or Army when we were terrible under Dodge.

Hell, we had 28k for Baylor when we were good in 2003 or 2004. But we have given up on scheduling any name opponents since that time.

I expect 24-26k for homecoming. A lot of alums come back for this event.

• Upvote 1

Alright I am going out on a limb here. I generally take the under when it comes to attendance, but for this game I predict 30k. Yep that's right I think all the ingredients are there. Big win the week prior, Homecoming (normally our largest crowd), students really buying-in, good weather, and an opponent that travels well.

I used the 22k from last game as a baseline

+3k UTEP fans.... bit of a stretch but did we not hear they sold 1800 tickets by last week?

I think student attendance will be flat to last game which was great

Homecoming adds 5k additional alums that have been taking notice and can't think of a better way to spend a nice day.

For the previous two years since I've been here the Homecoming game hasn't been our largest crowd.

• Downvote 1

At one point in time it was a commuter school, but now there are as high a percentage of beds on campus as almost every other school in the state. A significant number of people after that live in Denton city limits. I hate when people act like other schools have 25,000 people living on campus. That's not the case anywhere.

Just complete ignorance.

• Upvote 4

At one point in time it was a commuter school, but now there are as high a percentage of beds on campus as almost every other school in the state. A significant number of people after that live in Denton city limits. I hate when people act like other schools have 25,000 people living on campus. That's not the case anywhere.

Just complete ignorance.

Agree. There are MANY MORE student-geared apartments around Denton now, as opposed to when I was a student in the early 2000's.