Wild Card For Rice -- Weather Forecast

The handful of y'all I know here offline know that I chase storms and do SKYWARN stuff in the Spring and early Summer. I keep an eye on the weather in North Texas, and we might have an interesting situation on our hands Thursday evening.

Tomorrow, we'll have a front push through North Texas kicking off all kinds of rain and thunderstorms. Coverage should be broad across the region, and forecasts are calling for heavy rain tomorrow into tomorrow evening.

The rain should be gone by kickoff on Thursday evening, but the forecast is predicting something that could have an impact on the play calling on both sides of the ball: wind.

From the NWS page for Denton, Texas for Thursday: "A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. South wind 15 to 20 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph." Right now, the wind isn't forecast to turn back to the south until around midnight, so it looks like we might be in for a windy game at Apogee.

Anchor those tailgate canopies and get ready for some Mean Green football!

• Upvote 1

I agree with Green92.

Rice runs...and runs...and runs. They're 15th in the nation in rushing offense coming into this game. The ran on New Mexico State at will two weeks ago, but New Mexico State also sports one of the most generous defenses in the nation. The Owls also ran against UTEP, another poor defensive team.

Defensively, we're 23rd in the nation in points allowed. We're coming off stifling two opponents' running games, holding both USM and Tech each to less than 40 yards rushing. Neither of those teams is anywhere near as good at running the ball as Rice is, though.

Going to be a heck of a game, folks!

This. Plus their D line is thin with injuries so our run game looks like it might have a good shot at carrying the weight.

I'm just praying that we come out with no injuries after this game and beat the crap out of them.

if the wind screws my tailgate... it's nothing a little bourbon can't take care of....

BUT WIN, PLEASE PUT THIS ONE AWAY.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Green92.

Rice runs...and runs...and runs. They're 15th in the nation in rushing offense coming into this game. The ran on New Mexico State at will two weeks ago, but New Mexico State also sports one of the most generous defenses in the nation. The Owls also ran against UTEP, another poor defensive team.

Defensively, we're 23rd in the nation in points allowed. We're coming off stifling two opponents' running games, holding both USM and Tech each to less than 40 yards rushing. Neither of those teams is anywhere near as good at running the ball as Rice is, though.

Going to be a heck of a game, folks!

If they do stick with what they know, this is actually good news for us. Our D will clobber them.

So, just wind? No big deal. Looks to be beautiful weather.

Wind is a very big deal to special teams players. It's a bigger percentage of the game then most people think. I read they have a great kicker. He will be average to poor if winds are 20-30 with gusts. Good thing we are pretty good returning punts and kick offs too.
  • Upvote 2

Wind is a very big deal to special teams players. It's a bigger percentage of the game then most people think. I read they have a great kicker. He will be average to poor if winds are 20-30 with gusts. Good thing we are pretty good returning punts and kick offs too.

Great point about the importance of the kicking game. We haven't had any real kicking problems during the last 3 games we've won. One missed PAT, but nothing that really mattered in the won-loss column.

So if it's windy to the point where both teams become one dimensional, virtually run only, limited "looking for the pass"......who has the advantage?

Depends on how are defense adjust to their option style attack. Personally I like our defense in this matchup to make better adjustments. I just don't see the front 7 of Rice being able to get off blocks and clog running lanes like our guys.

Plus our passing can be effective with short to intermediate routes whereas Rice prefers to throw home run balls

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1

It seems to be getting better lets hope the wind is calm by 6:30

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. West wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 47. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

The handful of y'all I know here offline know that I chase storms and do SKYWARN stuff in the Spring and early Summer. I keep an eye on the weather in North Texas, and we might have an interesting situation on our hands Thursday evening.

Tomorrow, we'll have a front push through North Texas kicking off all kinds of rain and thunderstorms. Coverage should be broad across the region, and forecasts are calling for heavy rain tomorrow into tomorrow evening.

The rain should be gone by kickoff on Thursday evening, but the forecast is predicting something that could have an impact on the play calling on both sides of the ball: wind.

From the NWS page for Denton, Texas for Thursday: "A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. South wind 15 to 20 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph." Right now, the wind isn't forecast to turn back to the south until around midnight, so it looks like we might be in for a windy game at Apogee.

Anchor those tailgate canopies and get ready for some Mean Green football!

It's extremely windy already.

But beautiful weather for football.

Rick

• Upvote 2