This week may be the biggest we ever had in H-Town

Harry

Some of you may know I grew up in Houston and went to high school there. Obviously the game this Thursday is huge for both us and Rice. Beyond that, as a North Texas alumnus and fan -- I am thrilled about this game. This marks the first time since I attended North Texas and have been following the program that we are playing a conference opponent based in the city of Houston. I think this is such a big deal. We have so many alumni in Houston, many on this site. For TOO many years they have literally been on an island there. For the next 4-5 days we will have some small part of the Houston sports media. Of course if we win it could be even more.

I'm a big proponent of not taking things for granted. In the excitement about one of the biggest matchups in C-USA season I couldn't help but think how many fans in Houston this week will finally get some news and info about their Mean Green. Being a part of a conference that contains so many Texas schools has been terrific and we are just now starting down the Texas corridor of the schedule with UTEP (El Paso) and UTSA (San Antonio) still ahead.

I have always like Rice as a program and respected their academics. Very proud to call them a conference mate and excited about this being such a big game for the both of us. For my Houston homies - you guys be loud and proud this week! Go Mean Green!!

The best thing of the CUSA move so far is the number of TV games (and better regional teams). I have been able to watch just about everyone of them on TV and not ESPN3 or meangreensports.com. Coverage + regional teams will pay great dividends to this program.

I love the educational tour we are feeding our conference mates. In Hattiesburg some fans approached and asked where we were located. Another fan asked who we had next and mentioned he was looking forward to moving to the west next year.

Then there was being called north Texas state at la tech. Well I think they all know now that we are North Texas!

Don't forget being the last two homecomings these past two weeks. I think they might rethink that decision next time we head to Ruston and Hattiesburg. Southern Miss fan was telling us it was going to be a long drive home before the game. Talking smack on an 18 game losing streak. Well they did not see that coming and I was hopeful but didn't see it either. Hello we are North Texas.

Our team is so nice and respectful and then the whistle blows and we rip your intestines out. Followed by handshakes in closing.

Next educational road tour stop. Tulsa Oklahoma.

GMG

• Upvote 2

I'll be interested to know how much the Chronicle, Houston TV, and Houston talk radio cover this matchup. Surely, the fact that it is on Thursday night by itself should help to at least ahve some coverage. That's what I expect up here in DFW, at least...

We won't get any. They don't even care in Houston about UH. In my 16 years in Houston, pretty sure I've never seen a Rice shirt, to exacerbate matters.

But I'll be down there this weekend and if we win you can bet I'll be flaunting my Mean Green gear.

Edited by meangreener

I'll be interested to know how much the Chronicle, Houston TV, and Houston talk radio cover this matchup. Surely, the fact that it is on Thursday night by itself should help to at least ahve some coverage. That's what I expect up here in DFW, at least...

Our game is not by itself. UH is playing USF at home on Thursday at the same time as us, and it's on ESPN. UH gets more press than Rice.

EDIT: And as meangreener said, that's hardly any.

Edited by Stix

Some of you may know I grew up in Houston and went to high school there. Obviously the game this Thursday is huge for both us and Rice. Beyond that, as a North Texas alumnus and fan -- I am thrilled about this game. This marks the first time since I attended North Texas and have been following the program that we are playing a conference opponent based in the city of Houston. I think this is such a big deal. We have so many alumni in Houston, many on this site. For TOO many years they have literally been on an island there. For the next 4-5 days we will have some small part of the Houston sports media. Of course if we win it could be even more.

I'm a big proponent of not taking things for granted. In the excitement about one of the biggest matchups in C-USA season I couldn't help but think how many fans in Houston this week will finally get some news and info about their Mean Green. Being a part of a conference that contains so many Texas schools has been terrific and we are just now starting down the Texas corridor of the schedule with UTEP (El Paso) and UTSA (San Antonio) still ahead.

I have always like Rice as a program and respected their academics. Very proud to call them a conference mate and excited about this being such a big game for the both of us. For my Houston homies - you guys be loud and proud this week! Go Mean Green!!

Harry, we have already gotten more attention in the Houston Chronicle this year than in the past. Being part of CUSA has really helped our visibility here.

Someone needs to tell Dale Hansen on CH. 8 that we are playing Thursday night. Except for his excellent expose' of the SMU scandal all those years ago, I think he honesty forgets that college sports are played around here.